Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > creating tables with internal borders with RedCloth

creating tables with internal borders with RedCloth

Stefano Crocco

I'm having a problem using RedCloth. I know this question is more suited for a
RedCloth mailing list, but the only one I found (the one on the RedCloth page
on rubyforge) is for people who wants to contribute to it, not for those
asking for help. If someone knows of another mailing list, please let me know.

My problem is quite simple: I want to use RedCloth and Textile to create a
table with borders around the it and between all cells, as the one produced by
specifying the rules="all" attribute to the html table tag:

I can't find out how to obtain this. The standard Textile syntax for tables
produce a borderless table, while specifying the border style for the whole
table, as shown in the Textile reference (http://hobix.com/textile/) only puts
the border around the whole table.

I know I can insert the table using html, but before doing so, I'd like to be
sure there isn't a better alternative.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Stefano

Michael Morin

Stefano Crocco wrote:
> I'm having a problem using RedCloth. I know this question is more suited for a
> RedCloth mailing list, but the only one I found (the one on the RedCloth page
> on rubyforge) is for people who wants to contribute to it, not for those
> asking for help. If someone knows of another mailing list, please let me know.
>
> My problem is quite simple: I want to use RedCloth and Textile to create a
> table with borders around the it and between all cells, as the one produced by
> specifying the rules="all" attribute to the html table tag:

> I can't find out how to obtain this. The standard Textile syntax for tables
> produce a borderless table, while specifying the border style for the whole
> table, as shown in the Textile reference (http://hobix.com/textile/) only puts
> the border around the whole table.
>
> I know I can insert the table using html, but before doing so, I'd like to be
> sure there isn't a better alternative.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Stefano

You want a border around every cell? If so, try something like this.

table(mytable).
|10|20|30|40|

Then your CSS could look something like this:

table.mytable td {
border: 1px solid black;
}

--
Michael Morin
Guide to Ruby

Stefano Crocco

On Monday 30 June 2008, Michael Morin wrote:
> Stefano Crocco wrote:
> > I'm having a problem using RedCloth. I know this question is more suited
> > for a RedCloth mailing list, but the only one I found (the one on the
> > RedCloth page on rubyforge) is for people who wants to contribute to it,
> > not for those asking for help. If someone knows of another mailing list,
> > please let me know.
> >
> > My problem is quite simple: I want to use RedCloth and Textile to create
> > a table with borders around the it and between all cells, as the one
> > produced by specifying the rules="all" attribute to the html table tag:

> > I can't find out how to obtain this. The standard Textile syntax for
> > tables produce a borderless table, while specifying the border style for
> > the whole table, as shown in the Textile reference
> > (http://hobix.com/textile/) only puts the border around the whole table.
> >
> > I know I can insert the table using html, but before doing so, I'd like
> > to be sure there isn't a better alternative.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Stefano

> You want a border around every cell? If so, try something like this.
>
> table(mytable).
>
> |10|20|30|40|
>
> Then your CSS could look something like this:
>
> table.mytable td {
> border: 1px solid black;
> }

Thanks for your answer, but this is not what I need. It seems I wasn't very
clear in explaining my problem. I need a table with a grid separating rows and
columns, something like this:
_ _ _
|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|

What you suggested puts a border around each cell, but a border which is
separated from the border around the neighbour cells (re-reading my original
post, I must admit that I seemed to be asking for this. I apologize for having
been so confusing.)

Stefano

Michael Morin

Stefano Crocco wrote:
> On Monday 30 June 2008, Michael Morin wrote:
>> Stefano Crocco wrote:
>>> I'm having a problem using RedCloth. I know this question is more suited
>>> for a RedCloth mailing list, but the only one I found (the one on the
>>> RedCloth page on rubyforge) is for people who wants to contribute to it,
>>> not for those asking for help. If someone knows of another mailing list,
>>> please let me know.
>>>
>>> My problem is quite simple: I want to use RedCloth and Textile to create
>>> a table with borders around the it and between all cells, as the one
>>> produced by specifying the rules="all" attribute to the html table tag:

>>> I can't find out how to obtain this. The standard Textile syntax for
>>> tables produce a borderless table, while specifying the border style for
>>> the whole table, as shown in the Textile reference
>>> (http://hobix.com/textile/) only puts the border around the whole table.
>>>
>>> I know I can insert the table using html, but before doing so, I'd like
>>> to be sure there isn't a better alternative.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>
>>> Stefano

>> You want a border around every cell? If so, try something like this.
>>
>> table(mytable).
>>
>> |10|20|30|40|
>>
>> Then your CSS could look something like this:
>>
>> table.mytable td {
>> border: 1px solid black;
>> }

> Thanks for your answer, but this is not what I need. It seems I wasn't very
> clear in explaining my problem. I need a table with a grid separating rows and
> columns, something like this:
> _ _ _
> |_|_|_|
> |_|_|_|
> |_|_|_|
>
> What you suggested puts a border around each cell, but a border which is
> separated from the border around the neighbour cells (re-reading my original
> post, I must admit that I seemed to be asking for this. I apologize for having
> been so confusing.)
>
> Stefano

The same can be used with some minor tweaks. Play with the padding and
spacing of the td tags as well as which edges the borders go on.

--
Michael Morin
Guide to Ruby
http://ruby.about.com/
Become an About.com Guide: beaguide.about.com
About.com is part of the New York Times Company

Rimantas Liubertas

> What you suggested puts a border around each cell, but a border which is
> separated from the border around the neighbour cells (re-reading my original
> post, I must admit that I seemed to be asking for this. I apologize for having
> been so confusing.)

Just add this to your CSS (change table.mytable as needed)

table.mytable {
border-collapse:collapse;
}

Regards,
Rimantas
--
http://rimantas.com/

Stefano Crocco

On Monday 30 June 2008, Rimantas Liubertas wrote:
> > What you suggested puts a border around each cell, but a border which is
> > separated from the border around the neighbour cells (re-reading my
> > original post, I must admit that I seemed to be asking for this. I
> > apologize for having been so confusing.)

> Just add this to your CSS (change table.mytable as needed)
>
> table.mytable {
> border-collapse:collapse;
> }
>

> Regards,
> Rimantas
> --
> http://rimantas.com/

Thanks, but this only puts a border around the whole table (unless I
misunderstand you). What I'd like is to obtain the following html output from
RedCloth:

I'm not an expert of html, but I think the key is the rules="all" attribute,
which I can't set from RedCloth (at least as far as I know) and which can't be
set using CSS.

Stefano

Hassan Schroeder

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 4:06 AM, Stefano Crocco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What you suggested puts a border around each cell, but a border which is
> separated from the border around the neighbour cells

If you're going to do web work, you need to learn CSS. In this case,
reading <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html>, particularly
section 17.6 Borders, should help.

FWIW,
--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Stefano Crocco

wrote:
> > What you suggested puts a border around each cell, but a border which is
> > separated from the border around the neighbour cells

> If you're going to do web work, you need to learn CSS. In this case,
> reading <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html>, particularly
> section 17.6 Borders, should help.
>
> FWIW,

I read that document before sending the first post, but not well enough, it
seems. Having seen the expression "separated borders model", and the figure
which goes with it, I too quickly assumed it wasn't what I was looking for (I
wanted united borders, not separated ones). At any rate, reading some of the
previous answers, I looked back at it and, before my last post, decided to try
changing the border-spacing attribute, but by mistake changed it in the td
element instead of the table, and so it didn't work.

At any rate, setting the border-spacing attribute to 0 for the table solved
the problem.

Thanks

Stefano

Tables and borders Jon HTML 6 05-20-2005 10:51 AM
Tables with different color left and right borders, no top or bottom borders, etc. George HTML 9 10-25-2004 04:25 PM
<asp:Panels, borders and HTML tables Mark Rae ASP .Net 3 10-06-2004 02:01 PM
Borders For Tables Hack Hostile17 HTML 2 09-02-2003 07:29 AM
Tables with solid black borders? Michael Wilcox HTML 3 07-07-2003 01:30 AM

Advertisments