Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > How to Have 46 Characters Show up In A Table Cell

How to Have 46 Characters Show up In A Table Cell

Ather Shiraz

So I have a background primarily in server side + basic front end. I
dont know if this is very relevant to rails or if I should ask some
design forum (if you know any please share!) My client however has an
unusual request. He wants to have 46 characters show up in a table cell.
This means he wants to have 46 letters show up in a table cell. How do I
define that for a table cell?

I am guessing 46 px for width would not do, right?

Phlip

Ather Shiraz wrote:
> So I have a background primarily in server side + basic front end. I
> dont know if this is very relevant to rails or if I should ask some
> design forum (if you know any please share!) My client however has an
> unusual request. He wants to have 46 characters show up in a table cell.
> This means he wants to have 46 letters show up in a table cell. How do I
> define that for a table cell?

How quaint! Nothing personal, but this is a Ruby language group, and Rails (a
platform) has its own forum. This group always catches Rails questions, but this
is the first CSS question I have seen...

Set the field style to width: 40em, overflow: none, and white-space: nowrap. I
don't know exactly how to write those exactly, but a Google search of [css style
truncate nowrap] seems to work.

Bryan JJ Buckley

<em style='width: 46em'>That's not really a Ruby question, now, is it?</em>

2008/6/19 Ather Shiraz <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> So I have a background primarily in server side + basic front end. I
> dont know if this is very relevant to rails or if I should ask some
> design forum (if you know any please share!) My client however has an
> unusual request. He wants to have 46 characters show up in a table cell.
> This means he wants to have 46 letters show up in a table cell. How do I
> define that for a table cell?
>
> I am guessing 46 px for width would not do, right?

JJ

Ather Shiraz

Yes please accept my apologies again but I mentioned it because there
are more web designers in the ror community than anywhere else (in the
java community for example).

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt wrote:
> * Ather Shiraz, 2008-06-20, 03:09:
>
>> So I have a background primarily in server side + basic front end. I
>> dont know if this is very relevant to rails or if I should ask some
>> design forum (if you know any please share!) My client however has an
>> unusual request. He wants to have 46 characters show up in a table
>> cell. This means he wants to have 46 letters show up in a table cell.
>> How do I define that for a table cell?
>>
>> I am guessing 46 px for width would not do, right?

> fixed-width font and 46em should do ^^
>
> Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

I tried 46em as width tag of the table td tag but sometimes its ok and
sometimes its really narrow. I had to end up usign 350px ; where could I
get an understanding of why this is happening?

Bryan JJ Buckley

I usually use HTML dog as a reference:
http://htmldog.com/reference/cssprop.../table-layout/
There are probably better write-ups on this somewhere, though.