Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > New Tab HTML Tag

New Tab HTML Tag

Alvaro G. Vicario

*** Stuart <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió/wrote (25 ene
2004):
> If I want to get Mozilla to open a link in a new tab... can I write it
> into the HTML of a page?

It's unlikely. HTML is not so much browser specific. It'd be different if
you were writing an extension, of course, but I guess it's just a regular
web site, isn't it?

--
-+ Álvaro G. Vicario - Burgos, Spain - ICQ 46788716
+- http://www.demogracia.com (la web de humor para mayores de 100 años)

Stuart

If I want to get Mozilla to open a link in a new tab... can I write it
into the HTML of a page?

A Hess

Somewhere around 1/24/04 3:24 PM, Stuart typed wildly with reckless abandon:

> If I want to get Mozilla to open a link in a new tab... can I write it
> into the HTML of a page?

The closest thing I can think of is <a href="" target="_blank"> but
that's not really the wisest thing to do. You have no way of knowing
what a visitor to your page wants to do.

I have my Firebird set up to open everything calling a new window in a
new tab.

I know there are people out there that use Mozilla, but hate the tabs:
They may want new windows

And you can't forget those poor people who haven't discovered a better
browser than IE. Their only option is new windows, but a lot of people
abhor new windows.

Your best option is to let the visitor decide. If we want a link to open
in a new tab, we'll make it.

--
The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the
opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. - Niels

Ricco@Mobility

> And you can't forget those poor people who haven't discovered a better browser than IE. Their only option is new windows, but a lot of people abhor new windows.
I like this sentence.

Always hearing that many people got their IE homepage "hijacked" by some websites. I am so proud that I will never have such problem.
And it is delightful that some of my friends start using Firebird and say this could be the best browser in this world.

--
This is Ricco@Hong Kong

A Hess said the following:
> Somewhere around 1/24/04 3:24 PM, Stuart typed wildly with reckless
> abandon:
>
>> If I want to get Mozilla to open a link in a new tab... can I write it
>> into the HTML of a page?
>>

> The closest thing I can think of is <a href="" target="_blank"> but
> that's not really the wisest thing to do. You have no way of knowing
> what a visitor to your page wants to do.
>
> I have my Firebird set up to open everything calling a new window in a
> new tab.
>
> I know there are people out there that use Mozilla, but hate the tabs:
> They may want new windows
>
> And you can't forget those poor people who haven't discovered a better
> browser than IE. Their only option is new windows, but a lot of people
> abhor new windows.
>
> Your best option is to let the visitor decide. If we want a link to open
> in a new tab, we'll make it.

Alvaro G. Vicario

*** Stuart <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió/wrote (25 ene
2004):
> It would be quite nice to have Mozilla accept one non-standard piece
> of code - a special tag that will open a new tab. perhaps an addition
> to <a href="" target="_blank"> that would still make lesser browsers
> open a new window.

I don't think so. That would force to add another checkbox to preferences
dialog ([ ] Ignore moznewtab HTML attribute) and clutter it with one more
stupid option. Mozilla is so great because it allows users to control their
browser. If we wanted to be controlled by webmasters we would be using
Internet Explorer

--

A Hess wrote:

> The closest thing I can think of is <a href="" target="_blank"> but
> that's not really the wisest thing to do. You have no way of knowing
> what a visitor to your page wants to do.
>
> I have my Firebird set up to open everything calling a new window in a
> new tab.
>
> I know there are people out there that use Mozilla, but hate the tabs:
> They may want new windows
>
> And you can't forget those poor people who haven't discovered a better
> browser than IE. Their only option is new windows, but a lot of people
> abhor new windows.
>
> Your best option is to let the visitor decide. If we want a link to open
> in a new tab, we'll make it.

It would be quite nice to have Mozilla accept one non-standard piece of
code - a special tag that will open a new tab. perhaps an addition to <a
href="" target="_blank"> that would still make lesser browsers open a
new window.

L Gray

Stuart wrote:
> A Hess wrote:
>
>> The closest thing I can think of is <a href="" target="_blank"> but
>> that's not really the wisest thing to do. You have no way of knowing
>> what a visitor to your page wants to do.
>>
>> I have my Firebird set up to open everything calling a new window in a
>> new tab.
>>
>> I know there are people out there that use Mozilla, but hate the tabs:
>> They may want new windows
>>
>> And you can't forget those poor people who haven't discovered a better
>> browser than IE. Their only option is new windows, but a lot of people
>> abhor new windows.
>>
>> Your best option is to let the visitor decide. If we want a link to
>> open in a new tab, we'll make it.

> It would be quite nice to have Mozilla accept one non-standard piece of
> code - a special tag that will open a new tab. perhaps an addition to <a
> href="" target="_blank"> that would still make lesser browsers open a
> new window.

Sorry, but I disagree. If I want a new window, I right-click on a link
and open it in a new window. If I want a new tab, I right-click and
open a new tab. If I don't want either, I left-click and expect the
page to load in the current window. You're assuming that you know what
I like better than I do. In the words of Flip Wilson's Geraldine, "You
don't know me THAT well!"

Rich G.

L Gray wrote:

> I like better than I do. In the words of Flip Wilson's Geraldine, "You
> don't know me THAT well!"

at the risk of dating myself another of my favorite lines from Geraldine
is "Love is a feelin' you feel right before you feel a feelin' you ain't
never felt before." hehehe (that also applies to the feeling when you've
swallowed that last gulp of southern comfort that you KNEW you shouldn't
drink and now you know you're going to have to stand up and move away
from the furniture and the standing bit just got a whole lot more
difficult hehehe)

--
Rich G. http://www.simplerich.com

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you
plant."
-Robert Louis Stephenson

A Hess

Somewhere around 1/25/04 6:05 AM, Stuart typed wildly with reckless abandon:

> It would be quite nice to have Mozilla accept one non-standard piece of
> code - a special tag that will open a new tab. perhaps an addition to <a
> href="" target="_blank"> that would still make lesser browsers open a
> new window.

It may sound like a nifty idea, but consider this: Internet Explorer has
ruined the web in so many ways because of non-standard proprietary code
that works only in IE.

One of the goals of Mozilla is to do away with this. Adherance to
standards and cross platform/browser compatability is key. I, for one,
hope we NEVER fall to Microsoft's level in this way (or any other for
that matter).

The way to accomplish this is the give the user the power. I have mine
configured to open new tabs whenever I want, other like the new windows,
others like the same window, and all have it just the way they like it.
None of this "browser maker telling the user how it's gonna be" B.S.

Power to the people, Aron

--
I got a sweater for Christmas. I really wanted a screamer or a moaner

Leonidas Jones

L Gray wrote:
> Stuart wrote:
>
>> A Hess wrote:
>>
>>> The closest thing I can think of is <a href="" target="_blank"> but
>>> that's not really the wisest thing to do. You have no way of knowing
>>> what a visitor to your page wants to do.
>>>
>>> I have my Firebird set up to open everything calling a new window in
>>> a new tab.
>>>
>>> I know there are people out there that use Mozilla, but hate the
>>> tabs: They may want new windows
>>>
>>> And you can't forget those poor people who haven't discovered a
>>> better browser than IE. Their only option is new windows, but a lot
>>> of people abhor new windows.
>>>
>>> Your best option is to let the visitor decide. If we want a link to
>>> open in a new tab, we'll make it.

>> It would be quite nice to have Mozilla accept one non-standard piece
>> of code - a special tag that will open a new tab. perhaps an addition
>> to <a href="" target="_blank"> that would still make lesser browsers
>> open a new window.
>>

> Sorry, but I disagree. If I want a new window, I right-click on a link
> and open it in a new window. If I want a new tab, I right-click and
> open a new tab. If I don't want either, I left-click and expect the
> page to load in the current window. You're assuming that you know what
> I like better than I do. In the words of Flip Wilson's Geraldine, "You
> don't know me THAT well!"

Yes but, don't ignore that web designers can and do target links to new
windows.

The only way I know of to force news tabs instead of new window, is Tab
Browser Extensions.

Lee