Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Why do favicons disappear after a few weeks?

Reply
Thread Tools

Why do favicons disappear after a few weeks?

 
 
hectorcorrector
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-22-2004
Not all, just some, maybe half. I keep having to put the address back
in.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Leonidas Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-22-2004
hectorcorrector wrote:
> Not all, just some, maybe half. I keep having to put the address back
> in.


Mozilla favicon support is a work in progress. Favicons are stored on
your cache. If you empty your cache, you empty your favicons. Check
Bugsilla for more information.

Lee
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
hectorcorrector
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-22-2004
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 06:15:15 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>hectorcorrector wrote:
>> Not all, just some, maybe half. I keep having to put the address back
>> in.

>
>Mozilla favicon support is a work in progress. Favicons are stored on
>your cache. If you empty your cache, you empty your favicons. Check
>Bugsilla for more information.
>
>Lee


I never empty my cache. The icons just disappear spontaneously, one by
one. It's not a big deal, I just reinsert the address and they come
back.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Agam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-24-2004
hectorcorrector said the following on 22/1/04 6:23 PM:

> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 06:15:15 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>
>>hectorcorrector wrote:
>>
>>>Not all, just some, maybe half. I keep having to put the address back
>>>in.

>>
>>Mozilla favicon support is a work in progress. Favicons are stored on
>>your cache. If you empty your cache, you empty your favicons. Check
>>Bugsilla for more information.
>>
>>Lee

>
>
> I never empty my cache. The icons just disappear spontaneously, one by
> one. It's not a big deal, I just reinsert the address and they come
> back.


This is something that frustrated me as well. One saves a bookmark, ensures
that the favicon address is in place, and then some days later the field has
been inexplicably cleared. I've seen many people posting about wanting to
have permanent icons for bookmarks, not stored in the regular cache. What
I've done is to simply save some favicons in a folder, and use the "Choose"
button next to the favicon url field to select the local file. I never have
to worry about these disappearing. In Firebird, I noticed that to have the
icons on my personal bookmarks toolbar appear, I needed to do a right-click/
Properties on it, after a fresh start, in order to have them show. But I
later found that just opening the Bookmarks or RSS Reader sidebar would also
do the trick (quicker with just the ctl-B or alt-R shortcuts).

To save favicons, just enter the root url in the browser address field,
adding "/favicon.ico". Sometimes it will appear as an icon, sometimes it
will show as text. Never mind - just "save as" and it will save the file as
an icon, and you can move it wherever you like.

Hope it helps.

Agam

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
findcontrol("PlaceHolderPrice") why why why why why why why why why why why Mr. SweatyFinger ASP .Net 2 12-02-2006 03:46 PM
Outlook Express Messages Disappear, Bookmarks in Internet Explorer Disappear rchrdcarlisle@NOTyahoo.com Computer Support 19 07-30-2006 09:41 PM
IE Stored Passwords Disappear After A Few Hours Elroyskimms ASP .Net 3 04-12-2005 05:06 PM
firefox 1.0 and favicons mccall Firefox 0 09-18-2004 12:35 PM
Cache and Favicons gaspin Firefox 1 07-04-2004 05:56 PM



Advertisments