Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > A computer science book to learn about interpreter, VM etc

A computer science book to learn about interpreter, VM etc

flexaxis@gmail.com

I learned HTML and then I learned programming. Have been a JAVA
programmer for a bunch of years and now I have been working on Rails
for more than six months. Never worked on C though.

I am having trouble understanding this thread.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp....165ad2b711c2c#

But I want to understand what is being discussed. I guess I need a
computer science book which describes what exactly interpreting means.
Also the other day some guys were talking about ERB being interpreted
but liquid (shopify guys) not being interpreted. I couldn't follow
that too. Also I can't follow what is "Iron ruby". I mean what does it
mean to have ruby being ported to .NET .

Could you please refer me a book or two which explains these computer
science fundamentals. Also note that I don't have much background to
build up on so please refer books which are not too *geeky*.

Thanks

Phillip Gawlowski

Eleanor McHugh

On 8 May 2008, at 13:05, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I learned HTML and then I learned programming. Have been a JAVA
> programmer for a bunch of years and now I have been working on Rails
> for more than six months. Never worked on C though.
>
> I am having trouble understanding this thread.
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp....165ad2b711c2c#
>
> But I want to understand what is being discussed. I guess I need a
> computer science book which describes what exactly interpreting means.
> Also the other day some guys were talking about ERB being interpreted
> but liquid (shopify guys) not being interpreted. I couldn't follow
> that too. Also I can't follow what is "Iron ruby". I mean what does it
> mean to have ruby being ported to .NET .
>

> Could you please refer me a book or two which explains these computer
> science fundamentals. Also note that I don't have much background to
> build up on so please refer books which are not too *geeky*.

It's probably out of print, but 'Programming Languages - An
Interpreter-Based Approach' by Samuel N. Kamin is my fave book on the
subject. It's a treatment of several families of programming languages
(functional, OO, Lisp, etc.) which presents simplified interpreters
and includes a chapter on Compilation. The code is in Pascal but don't
be put off by that as it's clearly documented and Pascal is a very
easy language to understand.

There's probably also a discussion of these and other concepts in
'Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs' by Abelson and
Sussman, but as my copy seems to have gone MIA I can't check at the
moment.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net
----

Andrew Stewart

On 8 May 2008, at 13:05, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I learned HTML and then I learned programming. Have been a JAVA
> programmer for a bunch of years and now I have been working on Rails
> for more than six months. Never worked on C though.

> Could you please refer me a book or two which explains these computer
> science fundamentals. Also note that I don't have much background to
> build up on so please refer books which are not too *geeky*.

If you're familiar with Java, you should be able to make good progress
with this:

Programming Language Processors in Java - Compilers and Interpreters
by David A Watt, Deryck F Brown

Regards,
Andy Stewart

-------
AirBlade Software
http://airbladesoftware.com

Chris Hulan

On May 8, 8:03 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Could you please refer me a book or two which explains these computer
> science fundamentals. Also note that I don't have much background to
> build up on so please refer books which are not too *geeky*.

Not sure how easy this text is but its free 9^):
http://www.cs.brown.edu/~sk/Publicat...gs/2007-04-26/