Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ADV] Announcing the beta of Agile Web Development with Rails, ThirdEdition

[ADV] Announcing the beta of Agile Web Development with Rails, ThirdEdition

Dave Thomas

(I know this is the RUby list, and I won;t post here again about the =20
book. But I know many Rails developers who read this list but not the =20=

Rails one...)

If a dog year is 7 human years, then a Rails year is a lifetime.

Things keep changing=97the core team add new features (and remove old =20=

ones...), and we all learn new idioms and patterns for writing Rails =20
applications.

So the time has come to refresh Agile Web Development with Rails.

But this isn't a regular "dust off the API" update. This one's big.

Because Sam Ruby (yes, he of the REST book fame) has come on board, =20
and will be shepherding this new edition through to its final form.

So far, he has gone through the Depot application chapters and updated =20=

them for Rails 2. Over time, the whole book will be getting the same =20
treatment. Sam brings an incredible amount of experience to this, so =20
we'll see a book full of fresh insights on writing totally up-to-date =20=

web applications.

We're in beta as of today. That means that you can buy the PDF now, =20
and we'll update as new material becomes available. It's a blended =20
beta, which means the second edition content is in there alongside the =20=

third edition=97the new content has red page headings, the old gray. You =
=20
can also get a discount of the paper book when it finally comes out by =20=

buying the paper book as part of a combo pack.

Now, we know that some people want paper NOW! So we're trying an =20
experiment. Most of the second edition book is still relevant to Rails =20=

2, so we're making the second edition paper book available for =20
purchase at 50% off. That way you can use it while waiting for the =20
third edition to arrive.

And, if you bought the second edition from us in paper or PDF form =20
within the last 45 days, log into your account on our site to receive =20=

a coupon for a free upgrade to the third edition.

Enjoy.

Dave=