Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Login failed for user 'MachineName\ASPNET'

Login failed for user 'MachineName\ASPNET'

Linda

I do not want to use Impersonation, and I do not want to add the ASPNET
user name to the SQL Server user accounts. I want a user to use
windows authentication to log into the site, and then have their own
specific
credentials passed on to SQL Server, which will determine what access
rights that user has to the database.

I have seen this Microsoft article 316989
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=316989, but it does not
provide a solution that meets my needs. If there is a way to
programmatically override asp.net from providing the MachineName\ASPNET user
SQL Server, please tell me!

Cheers,
Jason

tribal

Linda,

Have you looked at adding the following in your deny
users = "?" in the authorization section of your
web.config file

You can also get the NTLogin information of the logged
in user from User.Identity.Name property

Hope this helps

S. Justin Gengo

Linda,

If you are using Windows Authentication for the site, why not use
impersonation?

That would solve your problem because it would automatically sync up the
user accounts.

Or is your SQL Server not on the same network?

Really impersonation is the best way, but I do remember a Visual Studio
Magazine article on how to impersonate a user selectively. I think it's what
you need:

www.visualstudiomagazine.com top right of page enter locator + code:
VS0405QA_T

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche
"Linda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I do not want to use Impersonation, and I do not want to add the ASPNET
> user name to the SQL Server user accounts. I want a user to use
> windows authentication to log into the site, and then have their own
> specific
> credentials passed on to SQL Server, which will determine what access
> rights that user has to the database.
>
> I have seen this Microsoft article 316989
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=316989, but it does not
> provide a solution that meets my needs. If there is a way to
> programmatically override asp.net from providing the MachineName\ASPNET
> user
> SQL Server, please tell me!
>
> Cheers,
> Jason

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

I have the same problem but I got it to work. Following information might
help:

ms-help://MS.MSDNQTR.2003FEB.1033/vbcon/html/vbtskAccessingSQLServerUsingWindowsIntegratedSecur ity.htm

Paul