Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Ruby Debugger

Ruby Debugger

Sam Rudd

Before I start I'd like to say how happy I am for finding this forum,
and the mailing list. I'm very glad to find like-minded Ruby enthusiasts
like you guys!

Right, as you can see from the link below, I have a custom-made IDE, but
it's got a blank box that I'd like to fill with a debugging tool, but I
can't find one. I've searched google, but still can't find one that
provides debugging and a runtime debug log. Does anyone know of/use such
a tool, and can provide me a link?

Thanks.

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/7...enshot1pd2.png

Phillip Gawlowski

Sam Rudd

Thank you, I'm now looking into ZenTest.

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 12:14 AM, Phillip Gawlowski <
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Tom Cloyd

Sam Rudd wrote:
> Thank you, I'm now looking into ZenTest.
>
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 12:14 AM, Phillip Gawlowski <
> (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

I think you really also ought to look hard at ruby-debug. It's extremely
useful, in my estimation. Zentest isn't quite the same approach to
coding errors, of course, but is still outstanding.

Finally, as a third, and possibly best approach of all, do check out
rspec.rubyforge.org.

I'm exploring all of these currently, and finding them all very much
worth my time.

Tom

Tom Cloyd, MS MA, LMHC
Private practice Psychotherapist
Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< (E-Mail Removed) >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website & psychotherapy weblog)
<< sleightmind.wordpress.com >> (mental health issues weblog)
<< directpathdesign.com >> (web site design & consultation)

Sam Rudd

I'm looking into ruby-debug, thanks. I'll keep the debug window open, but
once I get good enough at Ruby to make decent programs, I'll test as I go
using the built in tests.

Sorry if this posts twice, it keeps doing that for some reason.

Phillip Gawlowski

Agile Laurel

Phillip Gawlowski wrote:

up

visit a rubyonrails website :http://www.rorchina.net
wolf union program club :http://wolf.rorchina.net
China Rubyonrails club: http://bbs.rorchina.net

Tom Cloyd

Phillip Gawlowski wrote:

I appreciate your point of view, Phillip. I was excited to work with
ruby-debug, and I'm moving rapidly on to look at ZenTest and especially
at rspec. I'm predicting to myself that I'm going to end up with the
point of view you've just expressed. We'll see.

t.