Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Re: limit the number of rows

Re: limit the number of rows

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

You can set the PageSize property if you are using paging. Is that what you
meant?

If so, take the input from the user and use that to set the number of rows
per page.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...esizetopic.asp

"IGotYourDotNet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> on my web app, i need to have a input box to allow the user to set the
> number
> of rows they see in the grid,, Now i'm going against oracle so how can i
> do
> that?
>
> example:
> when the page loads I pull all rows back, but if the user only wants to
> see
> 10 or 5 I can I make that change to the grid and only show 10 or 5?

Mike

i'm not using paging exactly.
what the web app does it has a text box to allow user to enter the top 10,
20 etc rows from the database.
It shows all when the page loads but they can customize it to show only a
certain number of rows. But they can't page through the grid (recordset)
Example:
if the user selects 10 rows then the grid shows 10 rows only.

"Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OawdQB%(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can set the PageSize property if you are using paging. Is that what

you
> meant?
>
> If so, take the input from the user and use that to set the number of rows
> per page.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...esizetopic.asp

> "IGotYourDotNet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > on my web app, i need to have a input box to allow the user to set the
> > number
> > of rows they see in the grid,, Now i'm going against oracle so how can i
> > do
> > that?
> >
> > example:
> > when the page loads I pull all rows back, but if the user only wants to
> > see
> > 10 or 5 I can I make that change to the grid and only show 10 or 5?

=?Utf-8?B?U2hhaWxlc2ggSmFubnU=?=

What you will have to do it to limit the number of rows on the database
server. This can be done in stored proc using TOP or SET ROW COUNT clause.
Other way is only bind specified number of rows. To do this u can use a
DataView to filter out some of the rows and bind that to the grid.

Shailesh

"Mike" wrote:

> i'm not using paging exactly.
> what the web app does it has a text box to allow user to enter the top 10,
> 20 etc rows from the database.
> It shows all when the page loads but they can customize it to show only a
> certain number of rows. But they can't page through the grid (recordset)
> Example:
> if the user selects 10 rows then the grid shows 10 rows only.
>

> "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OawdQB%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You can set the PageSize property if you are using paging. Is that what

> you
> > meant?
> >
> > If so, take the input from the user and use that to set the number of rows
> > per page.
> >

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...esizetopic.asp
> >
> > "IGotYourDotNet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > on my web app, i need to have a input box to allow the user to set the
> > > number
> > > of rows they see in the grid,, Now i'm going against oracle so how can i
> > > do
> > > that?
> > >
> > > example:
> > > when the page loads I pull all rows back, but if the user only wants to
> > > see
> > > 10 or 5 I can I make that change to the grid and only show 10 or 5?

=?Utf-8?B?SUdvdFlvdXJEb3ROZXQ=?=

how could i use a dataview to do this?