Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Ruby GSoC 2008 now accepting student applications

Ruby GSoC 2008 now accepting student applications

pat eyler

Google has just turned on the student application web page. If you're
interested
in taking part in the 2008 GSoC as a student, please feel free to turn in an
application:

http://groups.google.com/group/googl...ent-applicants

Some project ideas are located here:

http://rubycentral.com/projects/gsoc...-for-gsoc-2008

(this page is not comprehensive, and will be updated as prospective
mentors contact me with additional ideas)

I'll be sending out an email to prospective mentors who've already contacted
me tomorrow. If you are interested in working as a mentor, and haven't yet
contacted me (or are worried that I've forgotten you) please drop me a private
response.

--
thanks,
-pate

Chiyuan Zhang

Where can I find links or email address to contact the the potential
mentors on the detailed information about those projects?

2008/3/25, pat eyler <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> Google has just turned on the student application web page. If you're
> interested
> in taking part in the 2008 GSoC as a student, please feel free to turn in an
> application:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/googl...ent-applicants
>

> Some project ideas are located here:
>
> http://rubycentral.com/projects/gsoc...-for-gsoc-2008
>
> (this page is not comprehensive, and will be updated as prospective
> mentors contact me with additional ideas)
>
> I'll be sending out an email to prospective mentors who've already contacted
> me tomorrow. If you are interested in working as a mentor, and haven't yet
> contacted me (or are worried that I've forgotten you) please drop me a private
> response.
>

> --
> thanks,
> -pate
> -------------------------
> Duty makes us do things, Love make us do things well.
> http://on-ruby.blogspot.com http://on-erlang.blogspot.com
> http://on-soccer.blogspot.com

pat eyler

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 5:03 AM, Chiyuan Zhang <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Where can I find links or email address to contact the the potential
> mentors on the detailed information about those projects?

At this point, we don't have specific mentors assigned to specific
projects. If you would like to discuss any of the projects, I would
recommend discussing them here or on a mailing list specific to
the code that project involves (i.e., rspec, rubinius, jruby, merb,
etc)

--
thanks,
-pate
Duty makes us do things, Love make us do things well.
http://on-ruby.blogspot.com http://on-erlang.blogspot.com
http://on-soccer.blogspot.com

Chiyuan Zhang

2008/3/25, pat eyler <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 5:03 AM, Chiyuan Zhang <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Where can I find links or email address to contact the the potential
> > mentors on the detailed information about those projects?

> At this point, we don't have specific mentors assigned to specific
> projects. If you would like to discuss any of the projects, I would
> recommend discussing them here or on a mailing list specific to
> the code that project involves (i.e., rspec, rubinius, jruby, merb,
> etc)

Take mod_rubinius for example. I subscribed to rubinius mailing list
long ago, but the traffic there is very low. The rubinius people prefer
talking on IRC. But IRC is not easy for some people living outside US,
due to the time zone problem.

> > 2008/3/25, pat eyler <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> >

> > > Google has just turned on the student application web page. If you're
> > > interested
> > > in taking part in the 2008 GSoC as a student, please feel free to turn in an
> > > application:
> > >
> > > http://groups.google.com/group/googl...ent-applicants
> > >

> > > Some project ideas are located here:
> > >
> > > http://rubycentral.com/projects/gsoc...-for-gsoc-2008
> > >
> > > (this page is not comprehensive, and will be updated as prospective
> > > mentors contact me with additional ideas)
> > >
> > > I'll be sending out an email to prospective mentors who've already contacted
> > > me tomorrow. If you are interested in working as a mentor, and haven't yet
> > > contacted me (or are worried that I've forgotten you) please drop me a private
> > > response.
> > >

> > > --
> > > thanks,
> > > -pate
> > > -------------------------
> > > Duty makes us do things, Love make us do things well.
> > > http://on-ruby.blogspot.com http://on-erlang.blogspot.com
> > > http://on-soccer.blogspot.com
> > >

> --
>
> thanks,
> -pate
> -------------------------
> Duty makes us do things, Love make us do things well.
> http://on-ruby.blogspot.com http://on-erlang.blogspot.com
> http://on-soccer.blogspot.com

pat eyler

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 7:37 AM, Chiyuan Zhang <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> 2008/3/25, pat eyler <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> > On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 5:03 AM, Chiyuan Zhang <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > Where can I find links or email address to contact the the potential
> > > mentors on the detailed information about those projects?

> > At this point, we don't have specific mentors assigned to specific
> > projects. If you would like to discuss any of the projects, I would
> > recommend discussing them here or on a mailing list specific to
> > the code that project involves (i.e., rspec, rubinius, jruby, merb,
> > etc)

> Take mod_rubinius for example. I subscribed to rubinius mailing list
> long ago, but the traffic there is very low. The rubinius people prefer
> talking on IRC. But IRC is not easy for some people living outside US,
> due to the time zone problem.

Irc and timezones may be an issue, but I think you could ask questions
about mod_rubinius on the rubinius mailing list and get answers. If not,
you would be welcome to ask them here as well. rue is the official
mod_rubinius developer, so you could always try asking him directly.

--
thanks,
-pate
Duty makes us do things, Love make us do things well.
http://on-ruby.blogspot.com http://on-erlang.blogspot.com
http://on-soccer.blogspot.com

Chiyuan Zhang

OK. Get it.