Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Need help protecting data

Reply
Thread Tools

Need help protecting data

 
 
Diego Bernardes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-12-2008
Hi

I need protect some data like photos and musics from a game, i really
dont know how to do this, i was thinking in something like this, take
the photo, translate to a string and store in the database and the
database will be the mongoose. Have any other more efficient way?


Thx
--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rodrigo Bermejo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2008
Diego Bernardes wrote:
> Hi
>
> I need protect some data like photos and musics from a game, i really
> dont know how to do this, i was thinking in something like this, take
> the photo, translate to a string and store in the database and the
> database will be the mongoose. Have any other more efficient way?
>
>
> Thx


( Not sure if I understood )
you can create a compressed package of what you want to protect ( a rare
format will be better), and then just change the extension of the file
to mislead the offenders.
--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Diego Bernardes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2008
Rodrigo Bermejo wrote:
> Diego Bernardes wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I need protect some data like photos and musics from a game, i really
>> dont know how to do this, i was thinking in something like this, take
>> the photo, translate to a string and store in the database and the
>> database will be the mongoose. Have any other more efficient way?
>>
>>
>> Thx

>
> ( Not sure if I understood )
> you can create a compressed package of what you want to protect ( a rare
> format will be better), and then just change the extension of the file
> to mislead the offenders.


Hehe, i made a test with openssl and storing in mongoose, i think ppl
will never, ever open it, but, well, its impossible to made a game with
it XD on my notebook (celeron 1.5ghz) took 1 sec to read the data inside
the database, decrypt and open it ( not a big file, 150k ), well in game
its not less then 10mb per map, so....
yea i will keep searching for a better solution =/
--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Eleanor McHugh
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2008
On 13 Mar 2008, at 17:44, Diego Bernardes wrote:
> Hehe, i made a test with openssl and storing in mongoose, i think ppl
> will never, ever open it, but, well, its impossible to made a game
> with
> it XD on my notebook (celeron 1.5ghz) took 1 sec to read the data
> inside
> the database, decrypt and open it ( not a big file, 150k ), well in
> game
> its not less then 10mb per map, so....
> yea i will keep searching for a better solution =/


OpenSSL performance is very dependent on the strength of key you use,
not to mention that it's a ropey library anyway

You'll improve performance a bit by storing your encrypted game data
in standard flat files and breaking it into lots of smaller files
which decrypt on demand. Also for text data you'd be advised to
compress it first before encrypting as that reduces the amount of data
you have to encrypt and beyond a certain critical threshold should
overall reduce processing time.

On the encryption front, use one of the symmetric cyphers - they're
not particularly secure but they're usually computationally much less
intensive that public/private key crypto.

The one big problem you'll have to address though is how you're going
to hide the keys so that players can't tamper. For network traffic
this is easy (there's a solution using a roll-your-own Hybrid Key
Infrastructure in the presentation I pointed you to) but for
distributed applications the keys have to reside on the machine
running the application and are therefore easily discovered...


Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
----
raise ArgumentError unless @reality.responds_to? :reason



 
Reply With Quote
 
Diego Bernardes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2008
Eleanor McHugh wrote:
> On 13 Mar 2008, at 17:44, Diego Bernardes wrote:
>> Hehe, i made a test with openssl and storing in mongoose, i think ppl
>> will never, ever open it, but, well, its impossible to made a game
>> with
>> it XD on my notebook (celeron 1.5ghz) took 1 sec to read the data
>> inside
>> the database, decrypt and open it ( not a big file, 150k ), well in
>> game
>> its not less then 10mb per map, so....
>> yea i will keep searching for a better solution =/

>
> OpenSSL performance is very dependent on the strength of key you use,
> not to mention that it's a ropey library anyway
>
> You'll improve performance a bit by storing your encrypted game data
> in standard flat files and breaking it into lots of smaller files
> which decrypt on demand. Also for text data you'd be advised to
> compress it first before encrypting as that reduces the amount of data
> you have to encrypt and beyond a certain critical threshold should
> overall reduce processing time.
>
> On the encryption front, use one of the symmetric cyphers - they're
> not particularly secure but they're usually computationally much less
> intensive that public/private key crypto.
>
> The one big problem you'll have to address though is how you're going
> to hide the keys so that players can't tamper. For network traffic
> this is easy (there's a solution using a roll-your-own Hybrid Key
> Infrastructure in the presentation I pointed you to) but for
> distributed applications the keys have to reside on the machine
> running the application and are therefore easily discovered...
>
>
> Ellie
>
> Eleanor McHugh
> Games With Brains
> ----
> raise ArgumentError unless @reality.responds_to? :reason



Elllie, you helping me alot i love ruby community

The big problem is to make the decryt fast, because the client never
gonna change the files, just read, only when the client update, but this
dont really need to be fast

I need more time to study, your slides seams very nice but im without
time to read it >.< tomorrow i will!

I really like the maplestory system, well, it is very fast to read, ppl
just fully cracked it now in the xentax forum, ive attached the source
of the program to crack it, its write in python, when have a update take
years to make the data.wz ( the file with all maple data ), now isnt one
file with all the data, the nexon slipt in more files like map, mob,
char, item,..
The .wz files use ZLIB



Hrrrr i need a safe and fast to read way to store the game data,
hrrrrr....




Thx alot for the help really thx


Attachments:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/1584/dump.py

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Diego Bernardes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-14-2008
Hrr im a noob XD Now i know why the encrypt and decrypt was so slow >.<
i was using DES, hrrrr
Now with AES-256 i could decrypt 500mb of data in only 12sec with my
slow notebook using a 9 character pass o.O lol this is fast, more than i
was expecting and its very safe im in love
Now the problem is to store data in a file, need look around to see more
stuffs
--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Protecting Biometric data... Imhotep Computer Security 1 08-30-2005 02:35 PM
Need Help Protecting Word Doc via Win32::OLE Tom Welch Perl Misc 0 05-26-2004 12:55 PM
Protecting computer files and IE data Parko Computer Support 2 05-10-2004 10:09 AM
Protecting object data from member functions Peter Neal C++ 1 12-10-2003 04:56 PM
Protecting CD data - advise please AJ Computer Security 1 08-19-2003 09:28 AM



Advertisments