Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Opening Mozilla online

Opening Mozilla online

Tono

I haven't really figured out a pattern, but sometimes I open mozilla and
I have to click the little "plug" in the lower right corner to go
online, or I try to download mail or news and it asks me if I want to go
"online". Is there a setting for this so it always is online when open?
I can't seem to find it. And does this setting have to be set for
each profile? I have DSL if that makes any difference.

Tono

Caffeine Junkie

On 1/17/2004 10:47 PM, Tono wrote:

> I haven't really figured out a pattern, but sometimes I open mozilla and
> I have to click the little "plug" in the lower right corner to go
> online, or I try to download mail or news and it asks me if I want to go
> "online". Is there a setting for this so it always is online when open?
> I can't seem to find it. And does this setting have to be set for each
> profile? I have DSL if that makes any difference.

IIRC: with QuickLaunch disabled, 1.5 always opened in /online/ mode
regardless of its' online/offline status when it was last shut down.
I've noticed what seems to be different behavior in 1.6 - I *think* it
opens in whichever mode it was in when it was last shut down but I
haven't paid enough attention to be sure. I see that you're using 1.7a
so this might be what's happening to you.

--
CJ

Caffeine Junkie

On 1/17/2004 10:47 PM, Tono wrote:

> I haven't really figured out a pattern, but sometimes I open mozilla and
> I have to click the little "plug" in the lower right corner to go
> online, or I try to download mail or news and it asks me if I want to go
> "online". Is there a setting for this so it always is online when open?

I might have an actual answer now! Mozilla 1.6 has a new setting in
"Edit / Preferences / Offline & Disk Space". It gives you a choice of
two behaviors when starting up: "Remember previous online state" or "Ask
me for online state at startup". There is no setting to always start
online. I suspect that 1.7a would be similar.

--
CJ

Tono

Caffeine Junkie wrote:

> On 1/17/2004 10:47 PM, Tono wrote:
>
>> I haven't really figured out a pattern, but sometimes I open mozilla
>> and I have to click the little "plug" in the lower right corner to go
>> online, or I try to download mail or news and it asks me if I want to
>> go "online". Is there a setting for this so it always is online when
>> open?

> I might have an actual answer now! Mozilla 1.6 has a new setting in
> "Edit / Preferences / Offline & Disk Space". It gives you a choice of
> two behaviors when starting up: "Remember previous online state" or "Ask
> me for online state at startup". There is no setting to always start
> online. I suspect that 1.7a would be similar.

Thanks for the replies. I've had it set to "Remember previous online
state" all along, and I never make it go offline, except when closing
mozilla. I do have quick launch enabled if that makes a difference.

Tono

Caffeine Junkie

On 1/18/2004 2:26 PM, Tono wrote:
> Thanks for the replies. I've had it set to "Remember previous online
> state" all along, and I never make it go offline, except when closing
> mozilla. I do have quick launch enabled if that makes a difference.

It doesn't seem like Quick Launch should make any difference, but it
wouldn't hurt to turn it off and experiment to see if that changes
anything. Mozilla shouldn't be changing online/offline status without
you telling it to, though. Another thing to think about - you're using
an pre-release/alpha version and bugs are to be expected - could be
you've found one. Have you checked Bugzilla?

--
CJ