Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Netbeans with Ruby!

Netbeans with Ruby!

Steve

Hi all
Hope I`m ok posting a Netbeans query here?. I`m trying to learn Ruby
using the Netbeans IDE. It seems a pretty slick application but I`m
wondering if its possible to run a prog without creating a `new
project` each time?. I just want to be able to type in a few lines of
code and run it but it keeps running the `main project` which might be
an earlier prog I have written??. I`m sure the solution is staring me
in the face but would be grateful for any tips folk could provide.
Cheers
Steve

Mikel Lindsaar

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:44 PM, Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all
> Hope I`m ok posting a Netbeans query here?. I`m trying to learn Ruby
> using the Netbeans IDE. It seems a pretty slick application but I`m
> wondering if its possible to run a prog without creating a `new
> project` each time?. I just want to be able to type in a few lines of
> code and run it but it keeps running the `main project` which might be
> an earlier prog I have written??. I`m sure the solution is staring me
> in the face but would be grateful for any tips folk could provide.

Wrong tool for the job...

Use IRB.

Open a command line and type "irb" and then type your lines.

Or save a file with the lines in it and from a command line type "ruby file.rb"

Mikel
http://lindsaar.net/

Jari Williamsson

Steve wrote:

> Hope I`m ok posting a Netbeans query here?. I`m trying to learn Ruby
> using the Netbeans IDE. It seems a pretty slick application but I`m
> wondering if its possible to run a prog without creating a `new
> project` each time?. I just want to be able to type in a few lines of
> code and run it but it keeps running the `main project` which might be
> an earlier prog I have written??. I`m sure the solution is staring me
> in the face but would be grateful for any tips folk could provide.

2 alternatives:
1. Use IRB. If you're already in NetBeans, you can get to the built-in
IRB by chosing "Window/Other/Ruby Shell (IRB)". Or you can use the MRI
or JRuby versions of IRB.
2. Use a "scratch project" where you put your test code. (I have a
source file where I constantly add snippets to the top with "exit" at
the end of the code chunk. That way I can save old code chunks and reuse
in a real project at a later date.)

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson

Ashley Wharton

Hi - to run the "current" screen - i.e. what you have just typed use CTRL +
F6

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 6:44 AM, Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi all
> Hope I`m ok posting a Netbeans query here?. I`m trying to learn Ruby
> using the Netbeans IDE. It seems a pretty slick application but I`m
> wondering if its possible to run a prog without creating a `new
> project` each time?. I just want to be able to type in a few lines of
> code and run it but it keeps running the `main project` which might be
> an earlier prog I have written??. I`m sure the solution is staring me
> in the face but would be grateful for any tips folk could provide.
> Cheers
> Steve

Steve

> To run the current script, get SciTE, write a little Ruby, and hit <F5>.

Hi Phlip
Tried SciTe , wrote a little Ruby, had a little dance, made a little
love, pretty well got down tonight sorry... hit <F5>
and .......nothing.
Presumably it needs saving each time before running?
As a newbie I did want to avoid having to save files each time hence
the use of Netbeans. I`m just not used to the various IDE`s and the
running of Ruby yet but thanks for the suggestion.
Cheers
Steve
ps forgive the bad attempt at humour if you`ve not heard the song it
means nothing

Ashley Wharton

Hi Steve you can avoid saving each time in netbeans. if you want to run the
lines you have just input hold down the ctrl key and hit F6 ... this will
run your current "window". Make sure that the "output window" is open within
the ide ... you can make changes and run as many times as you wish without
saving. I am also new to Ruby and love netbeans ... it makes it very easy to
play with.

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > To run the current script, get SciTE, write a little Ruby, and hit <F5>.
> >

> Hi Phlip
> Tried SciTe , wrote a little Ruby, had a little dance, made a little
> love, pretty well got down tonight sorry... hit <F5>
> and .......nothing.
> Presumably it needs saving each time before running?
> As a newbie I did want to avoid having to save files each time hence
> the use of Netbeans. I`m just not used to the various IDE`s and the
> running of Ruby yet but thanks for the suggestion.
> Cheers
> Steve
> ps forgive the bad attempt at humour if you`ve not heard the song it
> means nothing

Steve

On Feb 24, 5:40 pm, "Phlip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hi - to run the "current" screen - i.e. what you have just typed use CTRL
> > +
> > F6

> Does the current document have to be part of the current project?

In SciTe I type a few lines of code like so
puts 'Hi what`s your name ?'
name = gets
puts 'Hi ' + name
and then try ctrl + <F5> nothing happens and the Tools/Go option is
faded out in fact the top four options are not available. If I then
save the code as say `test` the Tools/Go is enabled but clicking that
just opens a small command line window and nothing else until I close
it then the output panel to the right shows -
>ruby test.rb

Hi whats your name
>Exit code: -1073741510

all very strange, not sure about the keymap or how to change it?.
I have tried Netbeans a few times and its starting to do what I want
now so might stick with that for now.
Regards
Steve

Steve

> > Hi - to run the "current" screen - i.e. what you have just typed use CTRL
> > +
> > F6

> Does the current document have to be part of the current project?

In SciTe I type a few lines of code like so
puts 'Hi what`s your name ?'
name = gets
puts 'Hi ' + name
and then try ctrl + <F5> nothing happens and the Tools/Go option is
faded out in fact the top four options are not available. If I then
save the code as say `test` the Tools/Go is enabled but clicking that
just opens a small command line window and nothing else until I close
it then the output panel to the right shows -
>ruby test.rb

Hi whats your name
>Exit code: -1073741510

all very strange, not sure about the keymap or how to change it?.
I have tried Netbeans a few times and its starting to do what I want
now so might stick with that for now. Thanks Ashley for the pointer.
Regards
Steve

marc

Steve said...
> Hi all
> Hope I`m ok posting a Netbeans query here?. I`m trying to learn Ruby
> using the Netbeans IDE. It seems a pretty slick application but I`m
> wondering if its possible to run a prog without creating a `new
> project` each time?. I just want to be able to type in a few lines of
> code and run it but it keeps running the `main project` which might be
> an earlier prog I have written??. I`m sure the solution is staring me
> in the face but would be grateful for any tips folk could provide.

Just add all your test scripts to one project and run the current file
with Ctrl+F6 - although I also add a mapping for the same thing to F12.

scite is also great.

--
Cheers,
Marc