Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > VS Develper (non Admin) missing IIS MMC Management

VS Develper (non Admin) missing IIS MMC Management

Andrew Clancy

Hi,

I am trying to set up VS Developer users with non-administrator rights
debug ASP (3) in VB.Net, and of course manage IIS MMC. This has
succeeeded on 3 machines, including my own - but since then it hasnt
been able to work, with seemingly exactly the same install & debug
setup. All machines are Windows 2000 with IIS 5.0.

My main 2 problems are:
1. the user cannot see the web site properties in MMC.
2. I get all of the errors from this kb article
(but tried the resolution and it's not it)

I have tried re-installing IIS, VB.Net & ASP.Net 1.1 (in that order),
doing the usual permission stuff (adding the user to debugger & vs
developer group, file permissions on inetpub and temp asp.net files,
etc etc). Frontpage is installed (this shouldnt matter as it is a
local box not remote debugging). And I've tried aspnet_regiis.exe
reg'ing aspnet_isapi.dll). I've tried everything!

This is an absolute pain as we are all still developing in ASP 3 and
moving forward has taken 18 months sofar and got nowhere - any ideas
would be great!

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP]

Windows 2000
Easy: Log in as admin and add their accounts to the Operators tab.

Windows XP
Create a stub to run as admin, as the operators tab is gone.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!
"Andrew Clancy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to set up VS Developer users with non-administrator rights
> debug ASP (3) in VB.Net, and of course manage IIS MMC. This has
> succeeeded on 3 machines, including my own - but since then it hasnt
> been able to work, with seemingly exactly the same install & debug
> setup. All machines are Windows 2000 with IIS 5.0.
>
> My main 2 problems are:
> 1. the user cannot see the web site properties in MMC.
> 2. I get all of the errors from this kb article
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;320451
> (but tried the resolution and it's not it)
>
> I have tried re-installing IIS, VB.Net & ASP.Net 1.1 (in that order),
> doing the usual permission stuff (adding the user to debugger & vs
> developer group, file permissions on inetpub and temp asp.net files,
> etc etc). Frontpage is installed (this shouldnt matter as it is a
> local box not remote debugging). And I've tried aspnet_regiis.exe
> reg'ing aspnet_isapi.dll). I've tried everything!
>
> This is an absolute pain as we are all still developing in ASP 3 and
> moving forward has taken 18 months sofar and got nowhere - any ideas
> would be great!

Andrew Clancy

Thanks Greg - but I dont have the operators tab in windows 2000 pro for some
reason?
Is there a group policy I can apply that achieves the same?

Does this solve my .Net project creation problems too?

Thanks,
Andy

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Windows 2000
> Easy: Log in as admin and add their accounts to the Operators tab.
>
> Windows XP
> Create a stub to run as admin, as the operators tab is gone.
>
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

> Think Outside the Box!
> "Andrew Clancy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to set up VS Developer users with non-administrator rights
> > debug ASP (3) in VB.Net, and of course manage IIS MMC. This has
> > succeeeded on 3 machines, including my own - but since then it hasnt
> > been able to work, with seemingly exactly the same install & debug
> > setup. All machines are Windows 2000 with IIS 5.0.
> >
> > My main 2 problems are:
> > 1. the user cannot see the web site properties in MMC.
> > 2. I get all of the errors from this kb article
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;320451
> > (but tried the resolution and it's not it)
> >
> > I have tried re-installing IIS, VB.Net & ASP.Net 1.1 (in that order),
> > doing the usual permission stuff (adding the user to debugger & vs
> > developer group, file permissions on inetpub and temp asp.net files,
> > etc etc). Frontpage is installed (this shouldnt matter as it is a
> > local box not remote debugging). And I've tried aspnet_regiis.exe
> > reg'ing aspnet_isapi.dll). I've tried everything!
> >
> > This is an absolute pain as we are all still developing in ASP 3 and
> > moving forward has taken 18 months sofar and got nowhere - any ideas
> > would be great!

Bernard

W2k Pro and XP Pro do not have operator tab.
this is client OSes limitation of IIS.

and operator tab has been remove from IIS 6.0 as well.

--
Regards,
Bernard Cheah

news:#(E-Mail Removed)...