Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > RDoc question: How do I make a link from the README file to aspecific RDOC Page

RDoc question: How do I make a link from the README file to aspecific RDOC Page

Jesper Rønn-Jensen

VGhpcyBpcyBhbiBleGNlcnB0IGZyb20gdGhlIEFjdGl2ZVdhcm Vob3VzZS1ldGwgUkVBRE1FIGZp
bGUKCiogTXVsdGlwbGUgc291cmNlIHR5cGVzLiBDdXJyZW50IH N1cHBvcnRlZCB0eXBlczoKICAq
IEZpeGVkLXdpZHRoIGFuZCBkZWxpbWl0ZWQgdGV4dCBmaWxlcw ogICogWE1MIGZpbGVzIHRocm91
Z2ggU0FYCiAgKiBBcGFjaGUgY29tYmluZWQgbG9nIGZvcm1hdA oKSSB3YW50IHRvIGxpbmsgdGhl
IHdvcmQgIkZpeGVkLXdpZHRoIiB0byB0aGUgcGFnZSBFVEw6Ol BhcnNlcjo6Rml4ZWRXaWR0aFBh
cnNlcgoKSG93IGNhbiBpIGRvIHRoYXQgaW4gYW4gb3B0aW1hbC B3YXkgdG8ga2VlcCByZWFkYWJp
bGl0eSBpbiB0aGUgc291cmNlIGZpbGU/CgoKL0plc3BlcgoKLS0gCl9fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19f
X19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX1 9fX19fCgpKZXNwZXIgUsO4bm4t
SmVuc2VuIC8gQ2FwZ2VtaW5pIERlbm1hcmsKVGVsLiArNDUgMz k3NyA4MjIwIC8gTW9iLiArNDUg
MjM3MyA2MjIwIC8gRmF4ICs0NSA3MDExIDIyMDEKd3d3LmRrLm NhcGdlbWluaS5jb20gLyBCbG9n
IGh0dHA6Ly9qdXN0YWRkd2F0ZXIuZGsvCgpfX19fX19fX19fX1 9fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19f
X19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fXwo=

Eric Hodel

On Feb 13, 2008, at 12:10 PM, Jesper R=F8nn-Jensen wrote:

> This is an excerpt from the ActiveWarehouse-etl README file
>
> * Multiple source types. Current supported types:
> * Fixed-width and delimited text files
> * XML files through SAX
> * Apache combined log format
>
> I want to link the word "Fixed-width" to the page =20
> ETL:arser::FixedWidthParser
>
> How can i do that in an optimal way to keep readability in the =20
> source file?

RDoc only supports links to external pages and auto-linking via method/=20=

class names.=

Joel VanderWerf

Eric Hodel wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2008, at 12:10 PM, Jesper Rnn-Jensen wrote:
>
>> This is an excerpt from the ActiveWarehouse-etl README file
>>
>> * Multiple source types. Current supported types:
>> * Fixed-width and delimited text files
>> * XML files through SAX
>> * Apache combined log format
>>
>> I want to link the word "Fixed-width" to the page
>> ETL:arser::FixedWidthParser
>>
>> How can i do that in an optimal way to keep readability in the source
>> file?

> RDoc only supports links to external pages and auto-linking via
> method/class names.

There is the 'link' directive in rdoc. For example:

{README}[link:../ruby-api/files/README.html]

The {...} part is used for the visible text of the link.

I'm not sure if it is possible to link to a class rather than a file,
but of course you can just link to the HTML file containing the class's
generated rdoc.

Eric Hodel

On Feb 22, 2008, at 12:49 PM, Joel VanderWerf wrote:
> Eric Hodel wrote:
>> On Feb 13, 2008, at 12:10 PM, Jesper R=F8nn-Jensen wrote:
>>> This is an excerpt from the ActiveWarehouse-etl README file
>>>
>>> * Multiple source types. Current supported types:
>>> * Fixed-width and delimited text files
>>> * XML files through SAX
>>> * Apache combined log format
>>>
>>> I want to link the word "Fixed-width" to the page =20
>>> ETL:arser::FixedWidthParser
>>>
>>> How can i do that in an optimal way to keep readability in the =20
>>> source file?

>> RDoc only supports links to external pages and auto-linking via =20
>> method/class names.

> There is the 'link' directive in rdoc. For example:
>
> {README}[link:../ruby-api/files/README.html]
>
> The {...} part is used for the visible text of the link.
>
> I'm not sure if it is possible to link to a class rather than a =20
> file, but of course you can just link to the HTML file containing =20
> the class's generated rdoc.

As I recall, the names of classes are generated, so it will be =20
difficult to have a stable link.=

Joel VanderWerf

Eric Hodel wrote:
> On Feb 22, 2008, at 12:49 PM, Joel VanderWerf wrote:
>> Eric Hodel wrote:

>>> RDoc only supports links to external pages and auto-linking via
>>> method/class names.

>> There is the 'link' directive in rdoc. For example:
>>
>> {README}[link:../ruby-api/files/README.html]
>>
>> The {...} part is used for the visible text of the link.
>>
>> I'm not sure if it is possible to link to a class rather than a file,
>> but of course you can just link to the HTML file containing the
>> class's generated rdoc.

> As I recall, the names of classes are generated, so it will be difficult
> to have a stable link.

The file names are stable. For example, Foo::Bar::Baz becomes

classes/Foo/Bar/Baz.html

Targets within that file have things like #M000155 appended to them, so
you wouldn't want to link to them in that way.