Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Installing Ruby on Red Hat Enterprise Edition on a Terminal

Installing Ruby on Red Hat Enterprise Edition on a Terminal

Steckly, Ron

Hi all,

=20

I just got a new VPS running Red Hat Enterprise Edition. Sort of regret
it now, as I've always run things on Debian where I just use the sudo
apt-get install command to get ruby and ruby gems on there. Do any of
you know of resources to get Ruby on Red Hat? I googled, but nothing
came up. Is it just me or shouldn't this be obvious?

=20

Ron

=20

fw

On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 02:22 +0900, Steckly, Ron wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I just got a new VPS running Red Hat Enterprise Edition. Sort of regret
> it now, as I've always run things on Debian where I just use the sudo
> apt-get install command to get ruby and ruby gems on there. Do any of
> you know of resources to get Ruby on Red Hat? I googled, but nothing
> came up. Is it just me or shouldn't this be obvious?
>

> Ron

RHEL 4:
https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/...anagement.html

RHEL 5:
https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/...anagement.html

HTH,

Felix

s.ross

On Jan 25, 2008, at 9:22 AM, Steckly, Ron wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I just got a new VPS running Red Hat Enterprise Edition. Sort of
> regret
> it now, as I've always run things on Debian where I just use the sudo
> apt-get install command to get ruby and ruby gems on there. Do any of
> you know of resources to get Ruby on Red Hat? I googled, but nothing
> came up. Is it just me or shouldn't this be obvious?

I'm running the same setup and I ftp downloaded it from the 1.8.6p111
sources, built it and it installed without a hitch. I then rebuilt
rubygems and life has been wonderful ever since

It's hard to learn from "works for me" stories, but the build process
is quite straightforward.

Alexey Verkhovsky

On Jan 25, 2008 10:22 AM, Steckly, Ron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> you know of resources to get Ruby on Red Hat?

If you are looking for a precompiled Ruby RPM that was tested on RHEL
(by the way, which version?), one place you can get it is the RPM repo
of RubyWorks Production Stack:
http://rubyworks.rubyforge.org/redhat/<version>

It has more than just Ruby, but Ruby RPM is there somewhere, too.

--
Alexey Verkhovsky
CruiseControl.rb [http://cruisecontrolrb.thoughtworks.com]

Vidar Hokstad

On Jan 25, 5:22 pm, "Steckly, Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just got a new VPS running Red Hat Enterprise Edition. Sort of regret
> it now, as I've always run things on Debian where I just use the sudo
> apt-get install command to get ruby and ruby gems on there. Do any of
> you know of resources to get Ruby on Red Hat? I googled, but nothing
> came up. Is it just me or shouldn't this be obvious?

There are Ruby RPM's for most versions of Redhat - someone pointed you
a repository, so I won't go there further.

However, depending on what repositories have already been added to
your
VPS, try this first:

up2date -i ruby

If that doesn't work (doesn't find a package), try:

yum install ruby

Note that you can install and use apt-get on Redhat too if you like:
http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/apt/

Kyle Schmitt

On Jan 28, 2008 7:09 AM, Vidar Hokstad <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> There are Ruby RPM's for most versions of Redhat - someone pointed you
> a repository, so I won't go there further.

Actually there really aren't modern ruby rpms for most RedHat
versions. Going back to RHEL 4 isn't really "most" The shop I'm
working at doesn't like to upgrade old installs if they're working
well, so we've got several RHEL 2.1 boxes still.

Anyway, if anyone needs a modern ruby rpm (1.8.6 stable snapshot) for
rather older RHEL installs, like 2.1AS, I made one, and it's doing
pretty well on some production systems (running scripts and such, not
ruby itself running the production software on these boxes).

--Kyle