Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Problem: grey shadow in CSS vertical text

Problem: grey shadow in CSS vertical text

Marfola Birfola

I'm trying to implement bottom-to-top vertical text using CSS attributes
in IE :
writing-mode: tb-rl;
filter: flipv fliph;

But I have encountered the following: the text is displayed with a grey
shadow (instead of anti-alias).

It seems that the problem is caused by the "filter:flip" attribute. Does
anyone have a work around? (If I write the same text without the
"filter" attribute, the grey shadow disappears but my text is written
top-to-bottom!)

Here's my stylesheet (the example is also attached):

verticaltext{
font-family: Arial;
font-size: 13px;
font-weight:bold;
color:#FF9100;
position:absolute; top:1px; height:90px;
width: 16px;
writing-mode: tb-rl;
filter: flipv fliph;
}

and here's the HTML:

I have also tried to use other CSS3 attributes like:
block-progression: ttb;
direction : rtl;

but they don't seem to work in IE.

Does someone know how to remove the grey shadow or know of another way
to implement the bottom-to-top vertical text?

Attachments:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/1283/test_vt.html

Chris Lowis

> Does someone know how to remove the grey shadow or know of another way
> to implement the bottom-to-top vertical text?

I'm afraid you have the wrong group. This is a group to discuss the
Ruby programming language. Perhaps you could try one of the on-line
CSS resources here ? :
http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/learning#online

Chris