Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] B1.03 of Programming Ruby now available

[ANN] B1.03 of Programming Ruby now available

Dave Thomas

I'll keep it brief

* Updated through the end of "Ruby in its Setting".
* Includes a new chapter on Ruby 1.9's character encoding support.
* removed libraries no longer in 1.9
* Chapter One lists the major changes this release.

Existing owners update from your account page at http://pragprog.com/my_account
(create an account if you don't already have one--creating an order
doesn't automatically create an account).

More details at http://pragprog.com/titles/ruby3

Cheers

Dave

Bil Kleb

Dave Thomas wrote:
> More details at http://pragprog.com/titles/ruby3

Laziness request: can the gerbils spit out a more descriptive
PDF filename? Especially, helpful would be one with the current
version tacked on the end, e.g., ProgrammingRuby3e-b1.03.pdf
instead of the same ruby3-p-00.pdf each time.

Regards,
--
Bil Kleb
http://fun3d.larc.nasa.gov

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Bil Kleb wrote:
> Dave Thomas wrote:
>> More details at http://pragprog.com/titles/ruby3

> Laziness request: can the gerbils spit out a more descriptive
> PDF filename? Especially, helpful would be one with the current
> version tacked on the end, e.g., ProgrammingRuby3e-b1.03.pdf
> instead of the same ruby3-p-00.pdf each time.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Bil Kleb
> http://fun3d.larc.nasa.gov

Sheesh ... isn't it enough the gerbils are porting all their gerbil gems
to Ruby 1.9?

Dave Thomas

On Jan 10, 2008, at 9:14 PM, Bil Kleb wrote:

> Laziness request: can the gerbils spit out a more descriptive
> PDF filename? Especially, helpful would be one with the current
> version tacked on the end, e.g., ProgrammingRuby3e-b1.03.pdf
> instead of the same ruby3-p-00.pdf each time.

Bil:

Cool idea to add the version number in. My only problem is working out
how not to invalidate the currently generated PDF names. Let me mull
it over.

Dave

Rick DeNatale

On 1/10/08, Bil Kleb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Dave Thomas wrote:
> > More details at http://pragprog.com/titles/ruby3

> Laziness request: can the gerbils spit out a more descriptive
> PDF filename? Especially, helpful would be one with the current
> version tacked on the end, e.g., ProgrammingRuby3e-b1.03.pdf
> instead of the same ruby3-p-00.pdf each time.

A packrat are you Bil? <G>

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/

Bil Kleb

Rick DeNatale wrote:

> A packrat are you Bil? <G>

Guilty, but only one level deep.

Say I read part way through b1.01, then b1.02 comes out. I need
to save the previous for a comparison of what's changed since last
time and to find my new starting point.

Regards,
--
Bil Kleb