Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > linux -- require question

linux -- require question

Jay Damask

I'm a newbie. I've locally installed ruby and rubygems on my linux box
(call it /home/). I've successfully installs rails and rake via gem
install, however from irb I get:
irb(main):002:0> require 'rails'
LoadError: No such file to load -- rails
from (irb):2:in `require'
from (irb):2

but for something simple it succeeds:
irb(main):004:0> require 'date'
=> true

$gem list
does show me all the packages that I've installed, and

$gem env
correctly shows where the gems are located. I haven't explicitly set any
environment variables...

What do I need to do so that require finds the gems?

Thanks.

Joshua Schairbaum

Jay,

I believe that you first need to require 'rubygems' in IRB before you
can require any single gem.

Josh

On Jan 10, 2008, at 8:42 AM, Jay Damask wrote:

> I'm a newbie. I've locally installed ruby and rubygems on my linux box
> (call it /home/). I've successfully installs rails and rake via gem
> install, however from irb I get:
> irb(main):002:0> require 'rails'
> LoadError: No such file to load -- rails
> from (irb):2:in `require'
> from (irb):2
>
> but for something simple it succeeds:
> irb(main):004:0> require 'date'
> => true
>
> $gem list
> does show me all the packages that I've installed, and
>
> $gem env
> correctly shows where the gems are located. I haven't explicitly
> set any
> environment variables...
>
> What do I need to do so that require finds the gems?
>
> Thanks.

spin- vector

Joshua Schairbaum wrote:
> Jay,
>
> I believe that you first need to require 'rubygems' in IRB before you
> can require any single gem.
>
> Josh

Josh,

oh man! It works now. Thanks so much.

-Jay

Require "tk" on linux Jeppe Jakobsen Ruby 7 03-29-2006 07:20 AM
question about require mr ra88it Ruby 2 01-13-2006 09:34 PM
require question Gaston Garcia Ruby 4 08-18-2005 08:12 PM

Advertisments