Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > design patterns in ruby: any good?

design patterns in ruby: any good?

Giles Bowkett

Has anybody read it? Does it come recommendafied? I still haven't
found a great tech bookstore in Los Angeles so I haven't browsed it.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com

pat eyler

On Jan 8, 2008 9:46 AM, Giles Bowkett <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Has anybody read it? Does it come recommendafied? I still haven't
> found a great tech bookstore in Los Angeles so I haven't browsed it.

I liked it. If you'd like the overview, I reviewed it here:

http://on-ruby.blogspot.com/2007/12/...by-review.html

> --
> Giles Bowkett
>
> Podcast: http://hollywoodgrit.blogspot.com
> Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
> Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
> Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com

--
thanks,
-pate

aemadrid@gmail.com

I'm almost finished and I'm liking it. It helps me put my thoughts
ordered and I have learned a few things too.

AEM

On Jan 8, 9:46*am, Giles Bowkett <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Has anybody read it? Does it come recommendafied? I still haven't
> found a great tech bookstore in Los Angeles so I haven't browsed it.
>
> --
> Giles Bowkett
>
> Podcast:http://hollywoodgrit.blogspot.com
> Blog:http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
> Portfolio:http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
> Tumblelog:http://giles.tumblr.com

Giles Bowkett

> > Has anybody read it? Does it come recommendafied? I still haven't
> > found a great tech bookstore in Los Angeles so I haven't browsed it.

> I liked it. If you'd like the overview, I reviewed it here:
>
> http://on-ruby.blogspot.com/2007/12/...by-review.html

Excellent review! Gives me an idea for a good blog post, too -
patterns and idioms in the Rails source.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com

Jake Cutter

On Jan 8, 2008 1:26 PM, Giles Bowkett <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > Has anybody read it? Does it come recommendafied? I still haven't
> > > found a great tech bookstore in Los Angeles so I haven't browsed it.

> > I liked it. If you'd like the overview, I reviewed it here:
> >
> > http://on-ruby.blogspot.com/2007/12/...by-review.html

> Excellent review! Gives me an idea for a good blog post, too -
> patterns and idioms in the Rails source.

Nice review, but coverage of the GoF patterns? But I've read so many
otherwise intelligent folks say that the GoF patterns were created to
address the limitations of less flexible languages, and that there's
no need for them in a language as powerful as Ruby...

What gives?

Jake

Jake Cutter

On Jan 8, 2008 1:26 PM, Giles Bowkett <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > Has anybody read it? Does it come recommendafied? I still haven't
> > > found a great tech bookstore in Los Angeles so I haven't browsed it.

> > I liked it. If you'd like the overview, I reviewed it here:
> >
> > http://on-ruby.blogspot.com/2007/12/...by-review.html

> Excellent review! Gives me an idea for a good blog post, too -
> patterns and idioms in the Rails source.

Nice review, but coverage of the GoF patterns? But I've read so many
otherwise intelligent folks say that the GoF patterns were created to
address the limitations of less flexible languages, and that there's
no need for them in a language as powerful as Ruby...

What gives?

Jake

Giles Bowkett

> Nice review, but coverage of the GoF patterns? But I've read so many
> otherwise intelligent folks say that the GoF patterns were created to
> address the limitations of less flexible languages, and that there's
> no need for them in a language as powerful as Ruby...
>
> What gives?

I was wondering about that myself. I think the Singleton pattern gets
used a lot in Ruby, though. Definitely a question worth asking.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com

James Gray

On Jan 8, 2008, at 2:03 PM, Giles Bowkett wrote:

>> Nice review, but coverage of the GoF patterns? But I've read so many
>> otherwise intelligent folks say that the GoF patterns were created to
>> address the limitations of less flexible languages, and that there's
>> no need for them in a language as powerful as Ruby...
>>
>> What gives?

> I was wondering about that myself.

Ruby isn't immune to design patterns.

Some patterns are very trivial in Ruby (Visitor is basically just a
method that takes a block), and some others don't make as much sense
in Ruby (Factory isn't nearly as important with classes being objects
themselves). Ruby also inspires some new patterns, I believe. The
ideas that led to the design patterns and many of the patterns still
apply to Ruby in some fashion though.

James Edward Gray II

Thomas Wieczorek

On Jan 8, 2008 8:08 PM, Jake Cutter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Nice review, but coverage of the GoF patterns? But I've read so many
> otherwise intelligent folks say that the GoF patterns were created to
> address the limitations of less flexible languages, and that there's
> no need for them in a language as powerful as Ruby...
>
> What gives?

IMO, patterns give you a common vocabulary to speak with other
developers and a way to refactor existing code.
Raganwald wrote a good blog entry about it
http://weblog.raganwald.com/2008/01/...th-design.html

Michael Brooks

Giles Bowkett wrote:
> Has anybody read it? Does it come recommendafied? I still haven't
> found a great tech bookstore in Los Angeles so I haven't browsed it.

Hello Giles:

You may also find this Scribd document interesting:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/396559/gof-patterns-in-ruby

There are also a couple of other interesting documents regarding ruby on
Scribd (try a search for ruby) like

http://www.scribd.com/doc/266840/Ruby-Code-Snippets

Michael