Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] Trollop 1.7.1 released

[ANN] Trollop 1.7.1 released

William Morgan

Trollop version 1.7.1 has been released!

* <http://trollop.rubyforge.org>

## DESCRIPTION

Trollop is YAFCLAP --- yet another fine commandline argument processor
for Ruby. Trollop is designed to provide the maximal amount of GNU-style
argument processing in the minimum number of lines of code (for you, the
programmer).

- Simple usage.
- Sensible defaults. No tweaking necessary, much tweaking possible.
- Support for long options, short options, short option bundling,
and automatic type validation and conversion.
- Automatic help message generation, wrapped to current screen width.
- Lots of unit tests.

Synopsis

###### simple ######

require 'trollop'
opts = Trollop:ptions do
opt :monkey, "Use monkey mode"
opt :goat, "Use goat mode", :default => true
opt :num_limbs, "Set number of limbs", :default => 4
end

p opts

###### medium ######

require 'trollop'
opts = Trollop:ptions do
version "test 1.2.3 (c) 2007 William Morgan"
banner <<-EOS
Test is an awesome program that does something very, very important.

Usage:
test [options] <filenames>+
where [options] are:
EOS

opt :ignore, "Ignore incorrect values"
opt :file, "Extra data filename to read in, with a very long option description like this one", :type => String
opt :volume, "Volume level", :default => 3.0
opt :iters, "Number of iterations", :default => 5
end
Trollop::die :volume, "must be non-negative" if opts[:volume] < 0
Trollop::die :file, "must exist" unless File.exist?(opts[:file]) if opts[:file]

Changes:

## 1.7.1 / 2008-01-07
* Documentation improvements

* <http://trollop.rubyforge.org>

--
William <(E-Mail Removed)>

thefed

What changes were made?

BTW, I LOVE trollop and use it exclusively.

On Jan 8, 2008, at 12:30 AM, William Morgan wrote:

> Trollop version 1.7.1 has been released!
>
> * <http://trollop.rubyforge.org>
>
> ## DESCRIPTION
>
> Trollop is YAFCLAP --- yet another fine commandline argument processor
> for Ruby. Trollop is designed to provide the maximal amount of GNU-
> style
> argument processing in the minimum number of lines of code (for
> you, the
> programmer).
>
> - Simple usage.
> - Sensible defaults. No tweaking necessary, much tweaking possible.
> - Support for long options, short options, short option bundling,
> and automatic type validation and conversion.
> - Automatic help message generation, wrapped to current screen width.
> - Lots of unit tests.
>
> Synopsis
>
> ###### simple ######
>
> require 'trollop'
> opts = Trollop:ptions do
> opt :monkey, "Use monkey mode"
> opt :goat, "Use goat mode", :default => true
> opt :num_limbs, "Set number of limbs", :default => 4
> end
>
> p opts
>
> ###### medium ######
>
> require 'trollop'
> opts = Trollop:ptions do
> version "test 1.2.3 (c) 2007 William Morgan"
> banner <<-EOS
> Test is an awesome program that does something very, very important.
>
> Usage:
> test [options] <filenames>+
> where [options] are:
> EOS
>
> opt :ignore, "Ignore incorrect values"
> opt :file, "Extra data filename to read in, with a very long
> option description like this one", :type => String
> opt :volume, "Volume level", :default => 3.0
> opt :iters, "Number of iterations", :default => 5
> end
> Trollop::die :volume, "must be non-negative" if opts[:volume] < 0
> Trollop::die :file, "must exist" unless File.exist?(opts[:file])
> if opts[:file]
>
> Changes:
>
> ## 1.7.1 / 2008-01-07
> * Documentation improvements
>
> * <http://trollop.rubyforge.org>
>
> --
> William <(E-Mail Removed)>

wmorgan-ruby-talk

Excerpts from thefed's message of Tue Jan 08 13:46:10 -0800 2008:
> What changes were made?

Just documentation changes. A couple things were updated, and the
synopsis is now on the front page of the rdoc, by popular demand.

> BTW, I LOVE trollop and use it exclusively.

Thanks!

--
William <(E-Mail Removed)>