Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > DBI doesn't seem to install correctly on CentOS

DBI doesn't seem to install correctly on CentOS

Xeno Campanoli

I tried installing with the old tarfile sequence using setup.rb, as I
couldn't get gems to work and there is apparently no yum install on
CentOS. When I went through the sequence found on
http://www.kitebird.com/articles/ruby-dbi.html#TOC_3, and then tried the
simple.rb script, I got:

% ruby simple.rb
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:344:in 'load_driver': Could not load
driver (no such file to load -- mysql) (DBI::InterfaceError)
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:227:in '_get_full_driver'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:213:in 'connect'
from simple.rb:9

I presume I'm using old instructions or incomplete ones. Does anyone
have a more recent set of instructions, or can someone fill in my gap?

Sincerely, Xeno

--
The only sustainable organizing methods focus not on scale,
but on good design of the functional unit,

Joshua Schairbaum

Try this to use DBI with MySQL:

ruby setup.rb config --with=dbi,dbd_mysql

Regards,
ch0wda

On Jan 4, 2008, at 3:19 PM, Xeno Campanoli wrote:

> I tried installing with the old tarfile sequence using setup.rb, as I
> couldn't get gems to work and there is apparently no yum install on
> CentOS. When I went through the sequence found on
> http://www.kitebird.com/articles/ruby-dbi.html#TOC_3, and then
> tried the
> simple.rb script, I got:
>
> % ruby simple.rb
> /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:344:in 'load_driver': Could not
> load
> driver (no such file to load -- mysql) (DBI::InterfaceError)
> from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:227:in '_get_full_driver'
> from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:213:in 'connect'
> from simple.rb:9
>
> I presume I'm using old instructions or incomplete ones. Does anyone
> have a more recent set of instructions, or can someone fill in my gap?
>
> Sincerely, Xeno
>
> --
> The only sustainable organizing methods focus not on scale,
> but on good design of the functional unit,
> not on winning battles, but on preservation.

ian@frogcottage.demon.co.uk

On 4 Jan, 20:32, Joshua Schairbaum <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Try this to use DBI with MySQL:
>
> ruby setup.rb config --with=dbi,dbd_mysql
>
> Regards,
> ch0wda
>
> On Jan 4, 2008, at 3:19 PM, Xeno Campanoli wrote:
>
> > I tried installing with the old tarfile sequence using setup.rb, as I
> > couldn't get gems to work and there is apparently no yum install on
> > CentOS. When I went through the sequence found on
> >http://www.kitebird.com/articles/ruby-dbi.html#TOC_3, and then
> > tried the
> > simple.rb script, I got:

> > % ruby simple.rb
> > /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:344:in 'load_driver': Could not
> > load
> > driver (no such file to load -- mysql) (DBI::InterfaceError)
> > from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:227:in '_get_full_driver'
> > from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:213:in 'connect'
> > from simple.rb:9

> > I presume I'm using old instructions or incomplete ones. Does anyone
> > have a more recent set of instructions, or can someone fill in my gap?

> > Sincerely, Xeno

> > --
> > The only sustainable organizing methods focus not on scale,
> > but on good design of the functional unit,
> > not on winning battles, but on preservation.

I'd examine why yum doesn't work in centos, it should do. Somethings
wrong with the OS somewhere.
Ian

Xeno Campanoli

Joshua Schairbaum wrote:
> Try this to use DBI with MySQL:
>
> ruby setup.rb config --with=dbi,dbd_mysql

That is in fact what I did, followed by:

ruby setup.rb setup
ruby setup.rb install

and my results were what I described already. I apparently need to know
the driver I need to load, or perhaps the yum install sequence I need to
use, or perhaps I just need to reboot. However, your suggestions were
what I already did.

xc

> Regards,
> ch0wda
>
> On Jan 4, 2008, at 3:19 PM, Xeno Campanoli wrote:
>
>> I tried installing with the old tarfile sequence using setup.rb, as I
>> couldn't get gems to work and there is apparently no yum install on
>> CentOS. When I went through the sequence found on
>> http://www.kitebird.com/articles/ruby-dbi.html#TOC_3, and then tried the
>> simple.rb script, I got:
>>
>> % ruby simple.rb
>> /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:344:in 'load_driver': Could not load
>> driver (no such file to load -- mysql) (DBI::InterfaceError)
>> from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:227:in '_get_full_driver'
>> from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:213:in 'connect'
>> from simple.rb:9
>>
>> I presume I'm using old instructions or incomplete ones. Does anyone
>> have a more recent set of instructions, or can someone fill in my gap?
>>
>> Sincerely, Xeno
>>
>> --
>> The only sustainable organizing methods focus not on scale,
>> but on good design of the functional unit,
>> not on winning battles, but on preservation.

--
The only sustainable organizing methods focus not on scale,
but on good design of the functional unit,
not on winning battles, but on preservation.

Xeno Campanoli

> On 4 Jan, 20:32, Joshua Schairbaum <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

> I'd examine why yum doesn't work in centos, it should do. Somethings
> wrong with the OS somewhere.
> Ian

Yum works just fine, it's just that CentOS doesn't have a package for
DBI, so you have to try and install from the tar.gz, and it won't work
for me. Yum will work fine if you can send me a rpm that works in the
CentOS world.

xc

--

Xeno Campanoli wrote:
> Joshua Schairbaum wrote:
>> Try this to use DBI with MySQL:
>>
>> ruby setup.rb config --with=dbi,dbd_mysql

I just tried rebooting also, and that doesn't help.

xc

Xeno Campanoli wrote:
> Xeno Campanoli wrote:
>> Joshua Schairbaum wrote:
>>> Try this to use DBI with MySQL:
>>>
>>> ruby setup.rb config --with=dbi,dbd_mysql

the file is:
cksum dbi-0.1.1.tar.gz
3411302326 155533 dbi-0.1.1.tar.gz

I also just made sure libdbi-driver is installed by yum, among others,
and that has made no difference.

Xeno Campanoli wrote:
> Xeno Campanoli wrote:
>> Joshua Schairbaum wrote:
>>> Try this to use DBI with MySQL:
>>>
>>> ruby setup.rb config --with=dbi,dbd_mysql

I have lost the thread at a place in /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb
on line 297 where the class script is trying to do the following require:
require "DBD/Mysql/Mysql

It may be that everything on this install is called "mysql", but I've
tried all of the conceiveable combinations in my connect call and they
all fail the same way.

> I just tried rebooting also, and that doesn't help.
>
> xc
>
>> That is in fact what I did, followed by:
>>
>> ruby setup.rb setup
>> ruby setup.rb install
>>
>> and my results were what I described already. I apparently need to know
>> the driver I need to load, or perhaps the yum install sequence I need to
>> use, or perhaps I just need to reboot. However, your suggestions were
>> what I already did.
>>
>> xc
>>
>>> Regards,
>>> ch0wda

--
The only sustainable organizing methods focus not on scale,
but on good design of the functional unit,
not on winning battles, but on preservation.

Joshua Schairbaum

I'm not sure if you need this or not because I'm just getting into
using DBI myself, but did you install the mysql drivers? In the
README file, it mentioned that the Mysql DBD relied upon them. To
quote:

MySQL
Depends on the mysql package from http://www.tmtm.org/mysql or
available
from the RAA.

Regards.
ch0wda

Xeno Campanoli wrote:
> Xeno Campanoli wrote:
>> Xeno Campanoli wrote:

This appears to fail the same way on my Ubuntu system after I installed
libdbi-ruby. Symptoms seem the same. I can go into mysql shell from
Bash, but I cannot use DBI and I get the same "Unable to load driver
'Mysql'" message. Perhaps people just don't use Mysql anymore?

> #!/usr/bin/ruby -w
> # simple.rb - simple MySQL script using Ruby DBI module
>
> require "dbi"
>
> begin
> # connect to the MySQL server
> dbh = DBI.connect("DBI:Mysql:test:localhost", "testuser", "testpass")
> # get server version string and display it
> row = dbh.select_one("SELECT VERSION()")
> puts "Server version: " + row[0]
> rescue DBI:atabaseError => e
> puts "An error occurred"
> puts "Error code: #{e.err}"
> puts "Error message: #{e.errstr}"
> ensure
> # disconnect from server
> dbh.disconnect if dbh
> end

the failure is happening on the dbh = DBI.connect line.