Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > convert excel spreadsheet to csv

convert excel spreadsheet to csv

Junkone

is there any library to convert excel file to csv.
apprecaite ur help

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Junkone wrote:
> is there any library to convert excel file to csv.
> apprecaite ur help

Just use the OLE interface to open the spreadsheet, then do a "save as" CSV.

Ratnavel Sundaramurthi

Try ruport.......

its a report generating tool......

bbiker

On Dec 27, 1:29*am, Ratnavel Sundaramurthi <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Try ruport.......
>
> its a report generating tool......

Open the excel file and save it as a csv file.!!!

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

bbiker wrote:
> On Dec 27, 1:29 am, Ratnavel Sundaramurthi <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Try ruport.......
>>
>> its a report generating tool......
>> --

> Open the excel file and save it as a csv file.!!!

That's what I said ... you have to code it in Ruby, though ... doing it
with the mouse is cheating!

OK ... Ruby Quiz proposal ... what's the most complicated path you can
come up with to do this? Open the spreadsheet as a database in Rails?
Extra points for requiring a Windows machine, a Linux machine and a Mac.
Even more extra points for doing it totally without a Windows machine.
Anything goes -- OpenOffice bindings -- uploading it to Google Office --
AJAX -- decoding the binary with "unpack" -- you name it.

Marc Heiler

> what's the most complicated path you can come up with to do this?

lol

Thomas Preymesser

On 27/12/2007, Junkone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> is there any library to convert excel file to csv.
> apprecaite ur help

try the gem 'roo'!

-Thomas

--=20
Thomas Preymesser
(E-Mail Removed)
B=FCro: 030 - 830 353 88
mobil: 0176 - 75 03 03 04
Privat: 030 - 49 78 37 06
http://thopre.wordpress.com/
http://www.thopre.com/

Junkone

On Dec 27, 5:42*am, Thomas Preymesser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 27/12/2007, Junkone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > is there any library to convert excel file to csv.
> > apprecaite ur help

> try the gem 'roo'!
>
> -Thomas
>
> --
> Thomas Preymesser
> (E-Mail Removed)
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Büro: 030 - 830 353 88
> mobil: 0176 - 75 03 03 04
> Privat: 030 - 49 78 37 06http://thopre.wordpress.com/http://www.thopre.com/

roo does not export ms excel spreadsheets. it only does open office
and goffice spreadsheets to csv.

Robert Klemme

2007/12/27, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> bbiker wrote:
> > Open the excel file and save it as a csv file.!!!
> >

> That's what I said ... you have to code it in Ruby, though ... doing it
> with the mouse is cheating!

... but very _pragmatic_!

> OK ... Ruby Quiz proposal ... what's the most complicated path you can
> come up with to do this?

Actually IMHO that's a bad quiz idea because with whatever solution
someone comes up, you will be able to find a more complicated solution
by simply adding a step.

Kind regards

robert

Karl von Laudermann

On Dec 27, 8:36 am, Junkone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> roo does not export ms excel spreadsheets. it only does open office
> and goffice spreadsheets to csv.

The web site at http://roo.rubyforge.org/ claims that it works with
Excel spreadsheets. Is this not correct?