Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Jumping to a page back: Strange behavior of Firefox and InternetExplorer

Jumping to a page back: Strange behavior of Firefox and InternetExplorer

Ben Bacarisse

dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> In article <jg89ma$82r$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Udo Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>
>> ... I should "try" to learn PHP anyway because you emphasize
>> that PHP is neat!

<snip>
> In all your html files (even though they might end in .php) at the
> point at which you would normally have something like
>
> <ul class="footer">
> <li>...</li>
> <li>...</li>
> <li>...</li>
> <li>...</li>
> <li>...</li>
> </ul>
>
> you instead put
>
> <?php include ("includes/footer.inc"); ?>

I'd suggest using '...' rather than "..." when offering "cut-and-paste"
code since there is only one special case with '...' quotes. Windows
users in particular may fall foul of writing "includes\footer.inc" with
unintended effects. Also (minor point) include is not a function but a
control structure, so the brackets are not needed. The ; is also
optional at the end of PHP section, so the simplest include looks like
this:

<?php include 'includes/footer.inc' ?>

I think it helps to make it all seem slightly less magical.

<snip>
--
Ben.

dorayme

In article
<0.a024048f8eee4caf9ebc.20120131115453GMT.87wr88qe (E-Mail Removed)>,
Ben Bacarisse <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > In article <jg89ma$82r$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Udo Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> <snip>
> >> ... I should "try" to learn PHP anyway because you emphasize
> >> that PHP is neat!

> <snip>
> > In all your html files (even though they might end in .php) at the
> > point at which you would normally have something like
> >
> > <ul class="footer">
> > <li>...</li>
> > <li>...</li>
> > <li>...</li>
> > <li>...</li>
> > <li>...</li>
> > </ul>
> >
> > you instead put
> >
> > <?php include ("includes/footer.inc"); ?>

> I'd suggest using '...' rather than "..." when offering "cut-and-paste"
> code

I was not offering cut and paste code. I was pretending to be human
and assuming that another human reading me would understand that where
I had "..." they would have text, simple as that. But what do I know,
your knowledge of these things is likely greater as you are likely a
real human unlike my cheating self.

> ... the brackets are not needed. The ; is also
> optional at the end of PHP section, so the simplest include looks like
> this:
>
> <?php include 'includes/footer.inc' ?>

True. I was looking for a simple something in a url to refer OP to but
gave up and wrote a cheating mini one for him but not before lazily
cutting and pasting the above from an example in some page that was
not too unreasonable.

> I think it helps to make it all seem slightly less magical.

Depends on your understanding of magic. Perhaps the pretty and
extravagant

<?php include (((((("includes/footer.inc"))))));;;;;;;;;; ?>

would more magical. Perhaps in the world of magic, Ockham's Blooming
rather Ockham's Razor operates.

Perhaps, humans do not grok magic well in spite of all their religious
efforts.

--
dorayme

Udo Huebner

Am 01.02.2012 04:16, schrieb dorayme:
> In article
> <0.a024048f8eee4caf9ebc.20120131115453GMT.87wr88qe (E-Mail Removed)>,
> Ben Bacarisse<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> dorayme<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> <snip>

Hi dorayme and Ben -
thanks for the comments, especially to dorayme for his extensive
informations.
Regards Udo