Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Good Ruby IDE for Debian Linux?

Reply
Thread Tools

Good Ruby IDE for Debian Linux?

 
 
Steckly, Ron
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2007
Hi all,

=20

I'm wondering what IDEs are out there for Ruby in the Linux world?
Anyone want to make some recommendations?

=20

Ron

=20


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chris Cable
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2007
[Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

Aptana Studio is a great IDE!

http://www.aptana.com/

Chris

On Dec 14, 2007 7:31 AM, Steckly, Ron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>
>
> I'm wondering what IDEs are out there for Ruby in the Linux world?
> Anyone want to make some recommendations?
>
>
>
> Ron
>
>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Joshua Schairbaum
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2007

On Dec 14, 2007, at 10:31 AM, Steckly, Ron wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>
>
> I'm wondering what IDEs are out there for Ruby in the Linux world?
> Anyone want to make some recommendations?
>
>
>
> Ron
>
>
>



Ron,

Your best options for Ruby IDE support on Linux are Emacs, VI,
NetBeans, IntelliJ, and Apatana/Eclipse.

I use Emacs and really enjoy it.

Josh

 
Reply With Quote
 
steffen_kory@wowway.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2007
On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 00:54:04 +0900, Joshua Schairbaum wrote
> On Dec 14, 2007, at 10:31 AM, Steckly, Ron wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> >
> >
> > I'm wondering what IDEs are out there for Ruby in the Linux world?
> > Anyone want to make some recommendations?
> >
> >
> >
> > Ron
> >
> >
> >

>
> Ron,
>
> Your best options for Ruby IDE support on Linux are Emacs, VI,
> NetBeans, IntelliJ, and Apatana/Eclipse.
>
> I use Emacs and really enjoy it.
>
> Josh

There is also ActiveState's Komodo

 
Reply With Quote
 
gemblon (t.b.)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2007
unknown wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 00:54:04 +0900, Joshua Schairbaum wrote
>> >

>> I use Emacs and really enjoy it.
>>
>> Josh

> There is also ActiveState's Komodo


I was using Aptana, an Eclipse flavor, and it is nice.
I found NetBean's 6, I LOVE IT.
--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dejan Dimic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2007
On Dec 14, 5:20 pm, "gemblon (t.b.)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> unknown wrote:
> > On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 00:54:04 +0900, Joshua Schairbaum wrote

>
> >> I use Emacs and really enjoy it.

>
> >> Josh

> > There is also ActiveState's Komodo

>
> I was using Aptana, an Eclipse flavor, and it is nice.
> I found NetBean's 6, I LOVE IT.
> --
> Posted viahttp://www.ruby-forum.com/.


I use Aptana on my XP and Ubuntu.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Damjan Rems
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2007

I use kdevelop on my home KUbuntu system. I have only 512MB of RAM and
NetBeans often stops for 10+ seconds just to move cursor position.

At my office I use NetBeans 6 on Windows or KUbuntu. I have 2Gigs of RAM
there.


by
TheR

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Christophe Mckeon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2007
i'm on ubuntu gutsy, and switched from jedit to gedit
fairly recently, and blogged about it.

http://crepuscular-homunculus.blogsp...g-else-on.html

great simple fast editor, can do a lot more than first meets the eye.

_c

Damjan Rems wrote:
>
> I use kdevelop on my home KUbuntu system. I have only 512MB of RAM and
> NetBeans often stops for 10+ seconds just to move cursor position.
>
> At my office I use NetBeans 6 on Windows or KUbuntu. I have 2Gigs of RAM
> there.
>
>
> by
> TheR


--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dejan Dimic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2007
On Dec 14, 11:44 pm, Christophe Mckeon <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> i'm on ubuntu gutsy, and switched from jedit to gedit
> fairly recently, and blogged about it.
>
> http://crepuscular-homunculus.blogsp...t-for-ruby-and...
>
> great simple fast editor, can do a lot more than first meets the eye.
>
> _c
>
> Damjan Rems wrote:
>
> > I use kdevelop on my home KUbuntu system. I have only 512MB of RAM and
> > NetBeans often stops for 10+ seconds just to move cursor position.

>
> > At my office I use NetBeans 6 on Windows or KUbuntu. I have 2Gigs of RAM
> > there.

>
> > by
> > TheR

>
> --
> Posted viahttp://www.ruby-forum.com/.


Moved with this post I install once again NetBeans 6.0.
I must say that I am very pleased with it.
Last time I was testing the some beta version and it was not match for
Aptana IDE.

Even I use Eclipse (Aptana) a lot I will stick to NetBeans for a while
to see is it an IDE for me. Currently, I am impressed with code
competition.

You should try it too.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dejan Dimic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2007
On Dec 15, 7:00 am, "Venkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Dejan Dimic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
> > Moved with this post I install once again NetBeans 6.0.
> > I must say that I am very pleased with it.
> > Last time I was testing the some beta version and it was not match for
> > Aptana IDE.

>
> I have it installed but found the syntax coloring to be very bad. Some
> features implemented better than Aptana. Ignoring the Editor issues, are
> there any compelling reasons to switch?
>
> > Even I use Eclipse (Aptana) a lot I will stick to NetBeans for a while
> > to see is it an IDE for me. Currently, I am impressed with code
> > competition.

>
> You mean code completion?
>
> > You should try it too.

>
> I will see if the updates changed anything.
>
> -Venkat


Sorry for my typo error.

It is good that it passes throughout all gems and you get code
completion for all of them.
This is good for first time usage of some new gem, ideal for
beginner.

Out of the box the color highlighting is the first thing that needs
adjustment.

Haven't find the import project option, but it is all new to me and
perhaps just need some more exploration.

I will try to get the best of NetBeans 6.0 before have my final
judgment.

Manville, the Aptana is my main Ruby and Ruby on Rails IDE.

To be thoughtful for most of my everyday small Ruby scripts I use
SciTE.
There is no need to use these big guns when a plain editor can do the
job right.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[ANN] Builds of PyWebkitGtk and Webkit-Glib-Gtk(r39359+#16401.master) for Debian i386,Debian AMD64 and Macports MacOSX 10.4 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton Python 0 12-31-2008 08:23 PM
[ANN] Debian ruby-full package - a full installation of Ruby vince.hetk@gmail.com Ruby 1 05-28-2007 05:08 PM
A good Ruby book and a good Ruby blog vasudevram Ruby 0 04-15-2007 06:27 PM
ruby install conflict and ruby-dbi-all on debian 3.1 bill Ruby 0 01-06-2006 09:53 AM
[Debian] Upgrading to kernel 2.6 in Debian DUser NZ Computing 0 01-11-2004 12:38 AM



Advertisments