Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [Corrected][ANN] Third edition of "Programming Ruby" now in beta

[Corrected][ANN] Third edition of "Programming Ruby" now in beta

Dave Thomas

Ruby 1.9 is just around the corner, so it looks like a good time to =20
create a new edition of Programming Ruby. So, I'm pleased to announce =20=

that the Third Edition of the PickAxe has just entered beta.

The book's home page is at http://pragprog.com/titles/ruby3

Here's the plan. I'm starting with the second edition text and going =20=

through it revising for 1.9 changes. So far I'm done the first 120 =20
pages or so. When you look at the beta book, you'll see some pages =20
with red headers and footers, and others with gray. The red pages are =20=

updated content, and the gray pages are content from the second =20
edition. Over time, more and more pages will turn red, until the book =20=

is done.

Matz is still making changes to 1.9 functionality. This book will =20
track these changes, so that it will mirror what 1.9 becomes as we =20
move towards an eventual release. We won't go to press until Ruby has =20=

stabilized.

We=92re experimenting with something different for this book. With all =20=

our other titles, a fresh edition counts as a brand new book, and has =20=

to be bought again. With this edition, we=92re offering substantial =20
discounts to owners of the existing second edition (if those books or =20=

PDFs were bought from us).

To get these discounts (and, remember, you have to have bought the =20
books directly from us to qualify) simply create an account (or log =20
in to your existing account) on http://pragprog.com. You'll find =20
buttons on your account page which let you buy at a discount.

Enjoy

Dave Thomas

Satish Talim

Dave, I am an existing customer of Pragmatic and my a/c does show all the
various books I have purchased from them. I wanted to buy this pdf but I
don't see any discount buttons that you mention. Am I missing something?

Satish

On Dec 14, 2007 4:38 AM, Dave Thomas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ruby 1.9 is just around the corner, so it looks like a good time to
> create a new edition of Programming Ruby. So, I'm pleased to announce
> that the Third Edition of the PickAxe has just entered beta.
>
> The book's home page is at http://pragprog.com/titles/ruby3
>
> Here's the plan. I'm starting with the second edition text and going
> through it revising for 1.9 changes. So far I'm done the first 120
> pages or so. When you look at the beta book, you'll see some pages
> with red headers and footers, and others with gray. The red pages are
> updated content, and the gray pages are content from the second
> edition. Over time, more and more pages will turn red, until the book
> is done.
>
> Matz is still making changes to 1.9 functionality. This book will
> track these changes, so that it will mirror what 1.9 becomes as we
> move towards an eventual release. We won't go to press until Ruby has
> stabilized.
>
> We're experimenting with something different for this book. With all
> our other titles, a fresh edition counts as a brand new book, and has
> to be bought again. With this edition, we're offering substantial
> discounts to owners of the existing second edition (if those books or
> PDFs were bought from us).
>
> To get these discounts (and, remember, you have to have bought the
> books directly from us to qualify) simply create an account (or log
> in to your existing account) on http://pragprog.com. You'll find
> buttons on your account page which let you buy at a discount.
>

> Enjoy
>

> Dave Thomas

markonlinux@gmail.com

Hi Satish,

On Dec 14, 10:43 am, Satish Talim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]
>
> Dave, I am an existing customer of Pragmatic and my a/c does show all the
> various books I have purchased from them. I wanted to buy this pdf but I
> don't see any discount buttons that you mention. Am I missing something?
>
> Satish
>
> On Dec 14, 2007 4:38 AM, Dave Thomas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Ruby 1.9 is just around the corner, so it looks like a good time to
> > create a new edition of Programming Ruby. So, I'm pleased to announce
> > that the Third Edition of the PickAxe has just entered beta.

> > The book's home page is athttp://pragprog.com/titles/ruby3

> > Here's the plan. I'm starting with the second edition text and going
> > through it revising for 1.9 changes. So far I'm done the first 120
> > pages or so. When you look at the beta book, you'll see some pages
> > with red headers and footers, and others with gray. The red pages are
> > updated content, and the gray pages are content from the second
> > edition. Over time, more and more pages will turn red, until the book
> > is done.

> > Matz is still making changes to 1.9 functionality. This book will
> > track these changes, so that it will mirror what 1.9 becomes as we
> > move towards an eventual release. We won't go to press until Ruby has
> > stabilized.

> > We're experimenting with something different for this book. With all
> > our other titles, a fresh edition counts as a brand new book, and has
> > to be bought again. With this edition, we're offering substantial
> > discounts to owners of the existing second edition (if those books or
> > PDFs were bought from us).

> > To get these discounts (and, remember, you have to have bought the
> > books directly from us to qualify) simply create an account (or log
> > in to your existing account) onhttp://pragprog.com. You'll find
> > buttons on your account page which let you buy at a discount.

> > Enjoy

> > Dave Thomas- Hide quoted text -

The discount only appeared once the item was added to the cart.
Have you tried that?

cheers,

--
Mark

Satish Talim

Mark, I did try that but it did not appear. Dave clarified, that the
discount is only applicable for those who bought the second edition of the
book from the site.

Satish