Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > gem built with 0.9.5 cannot be installed with 0.9.4

gem built with 0.9.5 cannot be installed with 0.9.4

Dan Manges

Has anybody released a gem built with rubygems 0.9.5? I built the
latest version of deep_test with 0.9.5, but it seems like it cannot be
installed with 0.9.4 clients. It shows up in the gem list without a
platform (version 1.0.3):

Select which gem to install for your platform (i686-darwin9.0.0)
1. deep_test 1.0.4 (ruby)
2. deep_test 1.0.3 ()
3. deep_test 1.0.2 (ruby)
4. deep_test 1.0.1 (ruby)
5. Skip this gem
6. Cancel installation
> 2

ERROR: While executing gem ... (OpenURI::HTTPError)
404 Not Found

It's then looking to download the gem with an extra hyphen at the end:
"http://gems.rubyforge.org/gems/deep_test-1.0.3-.gem"

I submitted a defect, but wanted to know if anybody else ran into
this.
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.p...d=126&atid=575

The gemspec I used is here:
http://deep-test.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/Rakefile

Thanks,
Dan

Dan Manges

To follow up, adding this line to the gem spec fixes the problem:
s.platform = Gem:latform::RUBY

I noticed a couple other gems have been affected by this:
"addressable-1.0.1.gem"
"gchart-0.1.0.gem"

Dan

On Dec 10, 10:14 am, Dan Manges <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Has anybody released a gem built with rubygems 0.9.5? I built the
> latest version of deep_test with 0.9.5, but it seems like it cannot be
> installed with 0.9.4 clients. It shows up in the gem list without a
> platform (version 1.0.3):
>
> Select which gem to install for your platform (i686-darwin9.0.0)
> 1. deep_test 1.0.4 (ruby)
> 2. deep_test 1.0.3 ()
> 3. deep_test 1.0.2 (ruby)
> 4. deep_test 1.0.1 (ruby)
> 5. Skip this gem
> 6. Cancel installation> 2
>
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (OpenURI::HTTPError)
> 404 Not Found
>
> It's then looking to download the gem with an extra hyphen at the end:
> "http://gems.rubyforge.org/gems/deep_test-1.0.3-.gem"
>
> I submitted a defect, but wanted to know if anybody else ran into
> this.http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.p...16177&group_id...
>
> The gemspec I used is here:http://deep-test.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/Rakefile
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

Bill Davenport

Dan,

One of the features of 0.9.5 is that, "A gem can depend on a specific
RubyGems version". I'm not sure what makes it exclusive to that
version.

Here is where I quoted from:
http://blog.segment7.net/articles/20...rubygems-0-9-5

Bill