Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Benchmarking JRuby

Benchmarking JRuby

Charles Oliver Nutter

For those of you playing with JRuby, if you run across benchmarks of any
kind that show JRuby running slower than Ruby 1.8.x, we'd appreciate you
filing them as bugs:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JRUBY

In general, performance in JRuby should be better for normal execution,
so we'd like to find any remaining performance bottlenecks. Poor
performance is a bug!

Thanks for your help!

- Charlie

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> For those of you playing with JRuby, if you run across benchmarks of any
> kind that show JRuby running slower than Ruby 1.8.x, we'd appreciate you
> filing them as bugs:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JRUBY
>
> In general, performance in JRuby should be better for normal execution,
> so we'd like to find any remaining performance bottlenecks. Poor
> performance is a bug!
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> - Charlie

You've got PetStore running faster than 1.8 now??

Charles Oliver Nutter

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> You've got PetStore running faster than 1.8 now??

I don't think it's quite there...and it ought to be, so there's
something slowing it down. Other Rails benchmarks, however, do show
JRuby running faster. Work continues.

- Charlie

Mike McKinney

nice timing...

Antonio Cangiano just completed a new run of his Ruby language shootout.
The Great Ruby
Shootout<http://antoniocangiano.com/2007/12/03/the-great-ruby-shootout/>

Major improvement on Feb's numbers, impressive stuff.

http://huikau.com

On Dec 1, 2007 7:09 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> For those of you playing with JRuby, if you run across benchmarks of any
> kind that show JRuby running slower than Ruby 1.8.x, we'd appreciate you
> filing them as bugs:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JRUBY
>
> In general, performance in JRuby should be better for normal execution,
> so we'd like to find any remaining performance bottlenecks. Poor
> performance is a bug!
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> - Charlie

Charles Oliver Nutter

Mike McKinney wrote:
> nice timing...
>
> Antonio Cangiano just completed a new run of his Ruby language shootout.
> The Great Ruby
> Shootout<http://antoniocangiano.com/2007/12/03/the-great-ruby-shootout/>
>
> Major improvement on Feb's numbers, impressive stuff.

Yeah, and Antonio's numbers don't even reflect true performance after
the VM warms up and things JIT. There's really only about two YARV
benchmarks we're slower on now.

- Charlie