Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [SLIGHTLY OT] programmers can be humans and nice

[SLIGHTLY OT] programmers can be humans and nice

pietro ferrari

Hello fellow rubyists,

I'm sending rough translation of a message posted on the brasilian
ruby forum rubyonbr.org. I hope you like it as much as we did.

"Good morning to the participants of RubyOnBr. Yesterday I watched
Shairon's talk on an event. In fact, I didn't go there to learn Ruby.
I'm a psychologist and public servant of the federal government. I
went there to watch a friend's talk. I arrived earlier and saw a guy
talking about a human and programming language, the act of thinking,
linguistics, grammar, "semiotics", cognitive systems, and other
sciences I had no idea computing studied. He said "you learn ruby
without even wanting," I didn't understand, and he complemented with
an analogy that parodies Descartes "you think on the program,
therefore it exists."

I then asked my son to install the program that understands ruby the
"irb," I grabbed a manual on the internet and started reading,
thinking and "programming." I got very happy for not knowing to
program and "playing" of being a programmer, I am 53 years old felling
capable, and as the speaker said "expressing the thought on a
program."

I'm only saying this here because I got very excited and reading the
forum I saw that programmers can "be humans and nice."

A hug to all and thanks for this experience."

John Joyce

Pietro,
Welcome to the joy of Ruby!
It makes "getting it" a little bit easier.

On 11/9/07, pietro ferrari <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello fellow rubyists,
>
> I'm sending rough translation of a message posted on the brasilian
> ruby forum rubyonbr.org. I hope you like it as much as we did.
>
> "Good morning to the participants of RubyOnBr. Yesterday I watched
> Shairon's talk on an event. In fact, I didn't go there to learn Ruby.
> I'm a psychologist and public servant of the federal government. I
> went there to watch a friend's talk. I arrived earlier and saw a guy
> talking about a human and programming language, the act of thinking,
> linguistics, grammar, "semiotics", cognitive systems, and other
> sciences I had no idea computing studied. He said "you learn ruby
> without even wanting," I didn't understand, and he complemented with
> an analogy that parodies Descartes "you think on the program,
> therefore it exists."
>
> I then asked my son to install the program that understands ruby the
> "irb," I grabbed a manual on the internet and started reading,
> thinking and "programming." I got very happy for not knowing to
> program and "playing" of being a programmer, I am 53 years old felling
> capable, and as the speaker said "expressing the thought on a
> program."
>
> I'm only saying this here because I got very excited and reading the
> forum I saw that programmers can "be humans and nice."
>
> A hug to all and thanks for this experience."

Ryan Davis

On Nov 9, 2007, at 05:56 , pietro ferrari wrote:

> "Good morning to the participants of RubyOnBr. Yesterday I watched
> Shairon's talk on an event. In fact, I didn't go there to learn Ruby.
> I'm a psychologist and public servant of the federal government. I
> went there to watch a friend's talk. I arrived earlier and saw a guy
> talking about a human and programming language, the act of thinking,
> linguistics, grammar, "semiotics", cognitive systems, and other
> sciences I had no idea computing studied. He said "you learn ruby
> without even wanting," I didn't understand, and he complemented with
> an analogy that parodies Descartes "you think on the program,
> therefore it exists."

this sounds awesome... now if only you'd translate the entire talk.
I'd love to see it but I don't know portuguese at all.

what event was it?

Maybe C is the perfect language for really good systems programmers, but unfortunately not-so-good systems and applications programmers are using it and they shouldn’t be. Casey Hawthorne C Programming 18 11-06-2009 05:05 AM
You are being forced to buy a converter box for your TV so that thegovernment can use the TV broadcast band for RFID chips in humans. Hank Kroll Java 0 11-26-2008 07:05 PM
Computer Virus Spreads to Humans J Computer Support 20 04-02-2005 07:58 AM
PING: all puny humans brucie HTML 59 10-16-2004 05:32 PM
I think i Can humans catch it? may have the Sasser worm Virus billybronco Computer Support 4 07-02-2004 07:02 PM

Advertisments