Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Serializing classes from Web Services

Serializing classes from Web Services

Russ

I have a situation where I need to serialize a few classes (that are
read from a C++ web service) to ViewState or to Session. When I try
to do this I get an error that the class is not Serializable. Clearly
it is, because it has to be serialized to XML in order to be passed
from the Web Service. But it seems that the ViewState serialization
is a different animal.

I've solved the problem in the past by creating a new class in the
aspnet web client (C#) that duplicates the class but is tagged as
[Serializable]. Then I have to have code to transfer the data from
the input class to the serializable one before I can save it.

This is a horrible waste of code, processing power, Client and user
memory, and programing time! Isn't there a better way to do this?

Thanks, Russ

Peter Morris

The webservice serializer doesn't depend on the [Serliaziable] attribute
because it uses a different routine to perform the serialization.

--
Pete
====

Read or write articles on just about anything
http://www.HowToDoThings.com