Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > wtf? gem command vanished

wtf? gem command vanished

Giles Bowkett

Did gems change significantly recently? If not, my computer went nuts.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com/

John Joyce

On Oct 12, 2007, at 1:25 AM, Giles Bowkett wrote:

> Did gems change significantly recently? If not, my computer went nuts.
>
> --
> Giles Bowkett
>
> Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
> Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
> Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com/

Check your PATH
Install anything recently that likes to change the path ? (python for
example or other command line tools?)

John Joyce

On Oct 12, 2007, at 3:54 AM, John Joyce wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2007, at 1:25 AM, Giles Bowkett wrote:
>
>> Did gems change significantly recently? If not, my computer went
>> nuts.
>>
>> -- Giles Bowkett
>>
>> Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
>> Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
>> Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com/
>>

> Check your PATH
> Install anything recently that likes to change the path ? (python
> for example or other command line tools?)

BTW, Giles, I know you run OS X, so it is probably your path getting
mucked up by either an installation of something, or a software
update of some kind. I've had it happen and seen it on the list at
least once a week lately.
There seem to be two schools of thought out there for setting paths
in OS X, the "python school" and the "ruby school"
basically, one camp likes to use a different dot file in the home
directory and the other camp likes to use another dot file.
In the python world, they seem to want to add a .bash_profile when
installing, rather than checking to see what you are already using.
In the ruby world we tend to use the .bash_login for OS X.
there is also the possibility of a .bashrc
You're better off having only one of those, you'll likely know which
one is the culprit by looking at the mtime (modified time) on the
file in the file system.
open it and your usual path setting dot file, and adjust to fit your
original scheme.

I can only guess that by creating another dot file, they're trying
not to gum up your existing path, but that could be respected by
commenting it out and appending the file with the new path...

When adjusting the dot files and paths, don't forget to comment them
so you know why and what you changed later!

ara.t.howard

On Oct 12, 2007, at 3:16 AM, John Joyce wrote:

> In the python world, they seem to want to add a .bash_profile when
> installing, rather than checking to see what you are already using.
> In the ruby world we tend to use the .bash_login for OS X.
> there is also the possibility of a .bashrc

and in my world they are all them same - you just have to guard them
in order to make them re-entrant. safest thing on osx - the dotfile
semantics there are weird...

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
--
it is not enough to be compassionate. you must act.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama

Giles Bowkett

It's true, I did mess around with my PATH the other day. I was going
nuts trying to install lejos, which is the Java API and VM for Lego
Mindstorms robots. But the weird thing is that I reverted the changes
in my .profile (to add to the list of dot files) and gem's still
invisible to bash.

I think something went wrong with gem itself. I'm expecting it to be
in /opt/local/bin/gem, but it isn't there. The output from locate gem
is absurd overkill, but maybe a long-running find.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com/

Luu Trung

John Joyce wrote:
> On Oct 12, 2007, at 1:25 AM, Giles Bowkett wrote:
>
>> Did gems change significantly recently? If not, my computer went nuts.
>>
>> --
>> Giles Bowkett
>>
>> Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
>> Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
>> Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com/
>>

> Check your PATH
> Install anything recently that likes to change the path ? (python for
> example or other command line tools?)

Luu Trung Hieu

Attachments:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/636/add.txt

Eric Hodel

On Oct 11, 2007, at 23:25 , Giles Bowkett wrote:
> Did gems change significantly recently? If not, my computer went nuts.

Check your PATH, `gem` doesn't delete itself.

ara.t.howard

On Oct 12, 2007, at 9:55 AM, Eric Hodel wrote:

> Check your PATH, `gem` doesn't delete itself.

can we add that feature though?

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
--
share your knowledge. it's a way to achieve immortality.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama

Eric Hodel

On Oct 12, 2007, at 09:04 , ara.t.howard wrote:
> On Oct 12, 2007, at 9:55 AM, Eric Hodel wrote:
>> Check your PATH, `gem` doesn't delete itself.

> can we add that feature though?

An uninstaller for RubyGems? Yes, but I have no interest in writing
it now.

mortee

Giles Bowkett wrote:
> It's true, I did mess around with my PATH the other day. I was going
> nuts trying to install lejos, which is the Java API and VM for Lego
> Mindstorms robots. But the weird thing is that I reverted the changes
> in my .profile (to add to the list of dot files) and gem's still
> invisible to bash.
>
> I think something went wrong with gem itself. I'm expecting it to be
> in /opt/local/bin/gem, but it isn't there. The output from locate gem
> is absurd overkill, but maybe a long-running find.

I guess you should consider how you installed ruby, then find out what
prefix it uses, and compare that to your current value of PATH.

mortee