Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Using Ruby on a generic ISP

Using Ruby on a generic ISP

SpringFlowers AutumnMoon

I wonder how Ruby can be used on a generic ISP right now?

looks like right now i can use a

test.rb in my cgi-bin directory, and it is
not even checking the #!/usr/bin/ruby line

and then i tried a test.erb in the cgi-bin or a test.rhtml in the www
directory, and neither of them worked.

the test.erb won't work with
the line #!/usr/bin/erb or #!/usr/bin/local/erb

So I wonder, can I do something on my own directories so that
test.rhtml, test.erb, ActiveRecord, and ActiveSupport will work?

Benjamin A'Lee

--pZs/OQEoSSbxGlYw

On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 02:05:18AM +0900, SpringFlowers AutumnMoon wrote:
> I wonder how Ruby can be used on a generic ISP right now?
>=20
> looks like right now i can use a
>=20
> test.rb in my cgi-bin directory, and it is
> not even checking the #!/usr/bin/ruby line
>=20
> and then i tried a test.erb in the cgi-bin or a test.rhtml in the www
> directory, and neither of them worked.
>=20
> the test.erb won't work with
> the line #!/usr/bin/erb or #!/usr/bin/local/erb
>=20
>=20
> So I wonder, can I do something on my own directories so that
> test.rhtml, test.erb, ActiveRecord, and ActiveSupport will work?

If the ISP doesn't have Ruby on their server, there's not very much you
can do about it...

--=20
Benjamin A'Lee <(E-Mail Removed)>
http://subvert.org.uk/~bma/
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr.
Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers =
come
out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that
could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

--pZs/OQEoSSbxGlYw

--pZs/OQEoSSbxGlYw--

John Joyce

On Oct 6, 2007, at 12:37 PM, Benjamin A'Lee wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 02:05:18AM +0900, SpringFlowers AutumnMoon
> wrote:
>> I wonder how Ruby can be used on a generic ISP right now?
>>
>> looks like right now i can use a
>>
>> test.rb in my cgi-bin directory, and it is
>> not even checking the #!/usr/bin/ruby line
>>
>> and then i tried a test.erb in the cgi-bin or a test.rhtml in the www
>> directory, and neither of them worked.
>>
>> the test.erb won't work with
>> the line #!/usr/bin/erb or #!/usr/bin/local/erb
>>

>> So I wonder, can I do something on my own directories so that
>> test.rhtml, test.erb, ActiveRecord, and ActiveSupport will work?

> If the ISP doesn't have Ruby on their server, there's not very much
> you
> can do about it...

Not necessarily, as long as they allow you to compile /install
software in your directory, you might be able to make it work.
DreamHost is the common cheap hosting service that everyone and their
dog has an account with. They have Ruby, but their gems are always
out of date.
People commonly install their own gems in their own directory.
Theoretically you could install your own Ruby in there too. I tried
it. It works, but it's a lot slower, so I just kept using their binary.