Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Strange "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error in webform

Strange "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error in webform

Chris Magoun

I suddenly received an unexpected error in my project. I have been working
on this project for some time without this issue. Nothing has changed in the
form that caused the exception. A little experimentation shows that I cannot
run ANY .NET web project without getting this error:

----

to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

Line 1: <%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false"
Codebehind="Login.aspx.vb" Inherits="DataBayWeb.Login" %>
Line 2: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
Line 3: <HTML>

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\DataBayWeb\login.aspx Line: 1

Stack Trace:

object.]
System.Web.UI.Control.get_Controls()
System.Web.UI.Control.AddParsedSubObject(Object obj)

System.Web.UI.Control.System.Web.UI.IParserAccesso r.AddParsedSubObject(Objec
t obj)
ASP.Login_aspx.__BuildControlTree(Control __ctrl) in
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\DataBayWeb\login.aspx:1
ASP.Login_aspx.FrameworkInitialize()
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)

System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.Htt pApplication+IExecutionSte
p.Execute()
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionS tep step, Boolean&
completedSynchronously)

Other developers on my team can run the latest version of the project
without an issue. What has happened?

Chris

Simon Zandberg

Very strange indeed. It might sound obscure, but try removing the
space in <%@ Page...

Otherwise, I would be tempted to do the inevitable and reinstall the
framework.

Simon.