Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > firebird, mozilla 1.x

firebird, mozilla 1.x

WhiTe_DeViL

just wondering why the latest version of mozilla is 1.7a when they havnt
even release a stable 1.6 yet?

David Warren

WhiTe_DeViL wrote:

> just wondering why the latest version of mozilla is 1.7a when they havnt
> even release a stable 1.6 yet?

1.7a is where all the development is now.

1.6b is bugfixes only.

- David

Ed Mullen

David Warren wrote:

> WhiTe_DeViL wrote:
>

>>just wondering why the latest version of mozilla is 1.7a when they havnt
>>even release a stable 1.6 yet?

> 1.7a is where all the development is now.
>
> 1.6b is bugfixes only.
>
> - David

Meaning, for those of you who would like to be on the leading (but not
bleeding) edge, that more unresolved bugs are in the 1.7 branch. The
branch where more bugs have been squashed is the 1.6 one. Live in the
lab or live in the world. Mozilla and open source gives you that
choice!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Mr. Man

David Warren said on 1/7/2004 8:27 AM:

> WhiTe_DeViL wrote:
>
>> just wondering why the latest version of mozilla is 1.7a when they
>> havnt even release a stable 1.6 yet?

> 1.7a is where all the development is now.
>
> 1.6b is bugfixes only.
>
> - David

I really don't understand this process. Seems like a lot of redundant
work. Why not polish 1.6 THEN go on to 1.7a? It's like pulling a car
off the assembly line before it's finished and working, making the SAME
fixes as the regular assembly line, THEN adding a new stereo...

--
confused

Leonidas Jones

Mr. Man wrote:
> David Warren said on 1/7/2004 8:27 AM:
>
>> WhiTe_DeViL wrote:
>>
>>> just wondering why the latest version of mozilla is 1.7a when they
>>> havnt even release a stable 1.6 yet?

>> 1.7a is where all the development is now.
>>
>> 1.6b is bugfixes only.
>>
>> - David

> I really don't understand this process. Seems like a lot of redundant
> work. Why not polish 1.6 THEN go on to 1.7a? It's like pulling a car
> off the assembly line before it's finished and working, making the SAME
> fixes as the regular assembly line, THEN adding a new stereo...

No, it actually makes good sense, if you think about the volunteer
nature of the foundation.

The code is branched for the new release, meaning the decision has been
made that the features currently in place are those that will be there
for the release version. Those developers who work on the branch then
focus on cleaning up the code, fixing any bugs marked as blockers for
the release, and as many other bugs as possible.

We test the nightlies, and report any regressions that may occur as bugs
are fixed.

Meanwhile, those developers who are focusing mostly on new features
continue the developement of those features. If the trunk were forzen
while the branch was developed, they would be doing nothing.

Lee

WhiTe_DeViL

yeah i agree.
you would think that they would spend all their time and resources
making a stable 1.6 build, then workin on the next version.
seems as if they like waisting their time to me.

Klaus Henkel

WhiTe_DeViL schrieb:
> yeah i agree.
> you would think that they would spend all their time and resources
> making a stable 1.6 build, then workin on the next version.
> seems as if they like waisting their time to me.

There are no "they", if you think of a fixed organisation with
employees and a boss on top telling "them" what to do.

"They" are a lot of volunteers working for their own pleasure, and
deciding themselves what tasks to work on. That is why the mozilla
team has to find a way to to go for more than one goal at a time, as
the bug resolvers will not implement new features, and the feature
inventors and programmers will not hunt bugs. Every volunteer has his
own preferences.

Maybe you would like to take a look at the moz. homepage for some
interesting information about the moz. organization?

KH