Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > I am new to Ruby and I could use some expert advice as to how I can make this code run faster.

I am new to Ruby and I could use some expert advice as to how I can make this code run faster.

Robert Dober

On 9/27/07, Brad Phelan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Robert Dober wrote:

> >> Ooops looks like I am wrong here. It seems that the id is a generic
> >> thingie identifying the google system or something. All the users
> >> posting with a google account
> >>
> >> Ruby Maniac
> >> Brian Adkins
> >> Phrogz
> >> William James
> >>
> >> all have that same id.
> >>
> >> I guess I have to appologize to Mr Ruby Maniac for possibly accusing him
> >> of things he didn't do.

> > LOL, yep we shall indeed thank him for his enlightening posts.
> >
> > Robert
> >

> Well I did accuse him of using Racist and sexist language in other
> Groups which I now have no proof of so I should apologize for that. Even
> trolls have the right to be treated humanely.

Yes of course, but I thought that he deserved my remark by all means.
Sorry if it was posted against you, that was indeed a little bit
clumsy of my part.

Robert
--
I'm an atheist and that's it. I believe there's nothing we can know
except that we should be kind to each other and do what we can for

Brad Phelan

>> Well I did accuse him of using Racist and sexist language in other
>> Groups which I now have no proof of so I should apologize for that. Even
>> trolls have the right to be treated humanely.

> Yes of course, but I thought that he deserved my remark by all means.
> Sorry if it was posted against you, that was indeed a little bit
> clumsy of my part.
>
> Robert

No problem

Reid Thompson

Proficient????
On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 21:25 +0900, Jeremy Henty wrote:
> On 2007-09-26, Brad Phelan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > ... this guy is a profi troll.

> OT, but, ... what's a "profi troll"? I Googled it but found nothing
> useful.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jeremy Henty

Peter Hickman

Jeremy Henty wrote:
> On 2007-09-26, Brad Phelan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> ... this guy is a profi troll.
>>

> OT, but, ... what's a "profi troll"? I Googled it but found nothing
> useful.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jeremy Henty

"profiterole" perhaps? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profiterole

Hannes Wyss

On 9/27/07, Jeremy Henty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2007-09-26, Brad Phelan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > ... this guy is a profi troll.

> OT, but, ... what's a "profi troll"? I Googled it but found nothing
> useful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profiterole#History

... sorry, couldn't resist...
for what it's worth: "Profi" is used in German as an abbreviated form
for professional

cheers
H.

Robert Dober

On 9/27/07, Hannes Wyss <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 9/27/07, Jeremy Henty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On 2007-09-26, Brad Phelan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > ... this guy is a profi troll.

> > OT, but, ... what's a "profi troll"? I Googled it but found nothing
> > useful.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profiterole#History
>
> ... sorry, couldn't resist...
> for what it's worth: "Profi" is used in German as an abbreviated form
> for professional

more important in this context it means somebody to be paid for what
she is doing, so that might be an interesting job, right
Robert

--
I'm an atheist and that's it. I believe there's nothing we can know
except that we should be kind to each other and do what we can for
other people.
-- Katharine Hepburn

Robert Dober

On 9/27/07, Jeremy Henty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2007-09-27, Robert Dober <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On 9/27/07, Hannes Wyss <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> for what it's worth: "Profi" is used in German as an abbreviated form
> >> for professional

> > more important in this context it means somebody to be paid for what
> > she is doing, so that might be an interesting job, right

> OT *again*, but some people *are* paid to troll: global warming
> denialists, the PR attack dog recently hired by academic publishers to
> trash-talk open access journals etc. etc.

I kind of knew that the joke was a bad one when I hit the send button,
sad world that is...

Robert
--
I'm an atheist and that's it. I believe there's nothing we can know
except that we should be kind to each other and do what we can for
other people.
-- Katharine Hepburn

Chad Perrin

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 01:10:03AM +0900, Jeremy Henty wrote:
> On 2007-09-27, Robert Dober <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On 9/27/07, Hannes Wyss <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> for what it's worth: "Profi" is used in German as an abbreviated form
> >> for professional

> > more important in this context it means somebody to be paid for what
> > she is doing, so that might be an interesting job, right

> OT *again*, but some people *are* paid to troll: global warming
> denialists, the PR attack dog recently hired by academic publishers to
> trash-talk open access journals etc. etc.

I find that a little difficult to believe (re: "global warming
denialists"). Such a statement mostly just sounds like a derivation of a
great many ad hominem fallacies adding up to a conspiracy theory. Have
you come across some evidence of such a phenomenon?

Every single person I've come across who questions the "global warming
consensus" actually has excellent credentials. Of course, I haven't
really looked into the matter enough to have a comprehensive sense of
people who disagree it's a settled matter, so there could very well be
some astroturfers out there -- but I haven't seen any evidence of such.

John W. Russell: "People point. Sometimes that's just easier. They also use
words. Sometimes that's just easier. For the same reasons that pointing has
not made words obsolete, there will always be command lines."