Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Mozilla 1.6B vs. Firebird 0.7

Mozilla 1.6B vs. Firebird 0.7

Keith Bowes

Bob C. wrote:
> Thanks so much for your information. So if I like Outlook Express, then
> Firebird's latest release would be a good choice I would think because of
> the lack of email client included. Am I on the right track you think?

Probably, if you don't mind buggy beta software. Though, it is possible
to use Outlook Express with Mozilla (suite). How to do it is somewhere
in the documentation. This may be an option if you want an MathML, HTML
editor, IRC chat, developer tools, access to more preferences, or other
things that have been stripped form Firebird.

Bob C.

I have never used either of the above browsers but was interested in
downloading something to use in place of Internet Explorer 6.x. What is the
difference between the just plain ol' Mozilla and Mozilla Firebird? Do both
have email built-in? Which of the two browsers is the best?

Thanks much for your input,

Bob C.

dantu

Bob C. wrote:

>I have never used either of the above browsers but was interested in
>downloading something to use in place of Internet Explorer 6.x. What is the
>difference between the just plain ol' Mozilla and Mozilla Firebird? Do both
>have email built-in? Which of the two browsers is the best?
>
>Thanks much for your input,
>
>Bob C.

Mozilla 1.6 is a full featured 'suite' version
It includes email/news, chat and composer (for websites)

Firebird is a standalone browser
It does not include email/news or chat

1.6 is not in full release yet, but should be shortly. The latest
'release' version is 1.5
Firebird is not in full release yet either, but is in 'beta' stage

Both programs have their pros and cons. Mozilla, the 'suite' version
is the all in one, do everything, suite. Firebird is the newer,
standalone browser. Both are fast, with some claiming the Firebird
having the speed advantage. Both are based on the same Gecko engine,
but Firebird has/will be optimized for just browsing functions

One of the advantages of separating the components out (Thunderbird is
the standalone email/news client to compliment Firebird) is a faster
track to development, as doing a change in one function now doesnt have
to impact on the other component. In the future, tho this is still
undecided, you may see the disappearance of the 'suite' in favour of the
component based approach.

Which one is 'better'? That depends entirely on your personal
preference and appreciations for what features you want in a browser.
You may wish to try both to see which one suits your style of
'internetting' better.

Bob C.

Thanks so much for your information. So if I like Outlook Express, then
Firebird's latest release would be a good choice I would think because of
the lack of email client included. Am I on the right track you think?

Bob

"dantu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BNIKb.3200$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bob C. wrote:
>
> >I have never used either of the above browsers but was interested in
> >downloading something to use in place of Internet Explorer 6.x. What is

the
> >difference between the just plain ol' Mozilla and Mozilla Firebird? Do

both
> >have email built-in? Which of the two browsers is the best?
> >
> >Thanks much for your input,
> >
> >Bob C.
> >

> Mozilla 1.6 is a full featured 'suite' version
> It includes email/news, chat and composer (for websites)
>
> Firebird is a standalone browser
> It does not include email/news or chat
>
> 1.6 is not in full release yet, but should be shortly. The latest
> 'release' version is 1.5
> Firebird is not in full release yet either, but is in 'beta' stage
>

> Both programs have their pros and cons. Mozilla, the 'suite' version
> is the all in one, do everything, suite. Firebird is the newer,
> standalone browser. Both are fast, with some claiming the Firebird
> having the speed advantage. Both are based on the same Gecko engine,
> but Firebird has/will be optimized for just browsing functions
>
> One of the advantages of separating the components out (Thunderbird is
> the standalone email/news client to compliment Firebird) is a faster
> track to development, as doing a change in one function now doesnt have
> to impact on the other component. In the future, tho this is still
> undecided, you may see the disappearance of the 'suite' in favour of the
> component based approach.
>
> Which one is 'better'? That depends entirely on your personal
> preference and appreciations for what features you want in a browser.
> You may wish to try both to see which one suits your style of
> 'internetting' better.

Bob C.

I downloaded and tried Firebird just now and already have received various
errors where the program shut down.

Is Mozilla 1.6b going to be buggy too? Or is it pretty stable? Would I be
better off going with Mozilla 1.5?

Thanks again,

Bob C.

news:C3JKb.196$(E-Mail Removed)...

Bob C. wrote:

>Thanks so much for your information. So if I like Outlook Express, then
>Firebird's latest release would be a good choice I would think because of
>the lack of email client included. Am I on the right track you think?
>
>Bob
>

>"dantu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:BNIKb.3200$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

>>Bob C. wrote:
>>

>>>I have never used either of the above browsers but was interested in
>>>downloading something to use in place of Internet Explorer 6.x. What is
>>>

>the
>

>>>difference between the just plain ol' Mozilla and Mozilla Firebird? Do
>>>

>both
>

>>>have email built-in? Which of the two browsers is the best?
>>>
>>>Thanks much for your input,
>>>
>>>Bob C.
>>>

>>Mozilla 1.6 is a full featured 'suite' version
>> It includes email/news, chat and composer (for websites)
>>
>>Firebird is a standalone browser
>> It does not include email/news or chat
>>
>>1.6 is not in full release yet, but should be shortly. The latest
>>'release' version is 1.5
>>Firebird is not in full release yet either, but is in 'beta' stage
>>

>>Both programs have their pros and cons. Mozilla, the 'suite' version
>>is the all in one, do everything, suite. Firebird is the newer,
>>standalone browser. Both are fast, with some claiming the Firebird
>>having the speed advantage. Both are based on the same Gecko engine,
>>but Firebird has/will be optimized for just browsing functions
>>
>>One of the advantages of separating the components out (Thunderbird is
>>the standalone email/news client to compliment Firebird) is a faster
>>track to development, as doing a change in one function now doesnt have
>>to impact on the other component. In the future, tho this is still
>>undecided, you may see the disappearance of the 'suite' in favour of the
>>component based approach.
>>
>>Which one is 'better'? That depends entirely on your personal
>>preference and appreciations for what features you want in a browser.
>>You may wish to try both to see which one suits your style of
>>'internetting' better.

Bob

It would be up to you, tho even with the Mozilla suite,
you can still use the (ugh) OE if you really wanted <g>. Of course one
advantage to Firebird is the smaller download footprint of course.

Both Mozilla and Firebird are very close in features (or
will be once Firebird reaches release stage). Mozilla (suite) has an
advantage at the moment because it has stable releases, and so
extensions/themes are available for it. These will be no doubt made
available for Firebird releases (if required) as well.

Be aware that Firebird is still in development and is
considered 'beta' at the moment. Its quite acceptable for most users,
but you should realize that there WILL be bugs and features not yet
implemented. Mozilla (suite) at least has the 'stable' releases that
are relatively at least, bug free.

But, as I said previously, your personal taste is what
should dictate the choice, so feel free to download both the Mozilla
suite and Firebird and try them out. After all, the price is right <g>

Bob C.

Dantu,

If I want to try out the Mozilla 1.5 suite (which I'm guessing is more
stable than 1.6b), should I "leave messages on server" in the email client
portion of it until I'm sure I like it? Or is it easy to export my email
and then import it again into Outlook Express?

I REALLY APPRECIATE your guy's help.

Bob C.
news:7aJKb.1233$(E-Mail Removed)...

Bob C. wrote:

>I downloaded and tried Firebird just now and already have received various
>errors where the program shut down.
>
>Is Mozilla 1.6b going to be buggy too? Or is it pretty stable? Would I be
>better off going with Mozilla 1.5?
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Bob C.
>
>"Keith Bowes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:C3JKb.196$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

>>Bob C. wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks so much for your information. So if I like Outlook Express, then
>>>Firebird's latest release would be a good choice I would think because
>>>

>of
>

>>>the lack of email client included. Am I on the right track you think?
>>>

>>Probably, if you don't mind buggy beta software. Though, it is possible
>>to use Outlook Express with Mozilla (suite). How to do it is somewhere
>>in the documentation. This may be an option if you want an MathML, HTML
>>editor, IRC chat, developer tools, access to more preferences, or other
>>things that have been stripped form Firebird.

Mozilla (suite), at least in the stable release versions (1.5 is the
latest) should not create as many problems as the still in development
Firebird.

Personally, I would use Mozilla 1.5 myself, switching to 1.6 when it
reaches stable release.

dantu

Bob C. wrote:

>Dantu,
>
>If I want to try out the Mozilla 1.5 suite (which I'm guessing is more
>stable than 1.6b), should I "leave messages on server" in the email client
>portion of it until I'm sure I like it? Or is it easy to export my email
>and then import it again into Outlook Express?
>
>I REALLY APPRECIATE your guy's help.
>
>Bob C.
>"dantu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:7aJKb.1233$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

>>Bob C. wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks so much for your information. So if I like Outlook Express, then
>>>Firebird's latest release would be a good choice I would think because of
>>>the lack of email client included. Am I on the right track you think?
>>>
>>>Bob
>>>

>>>"dantu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:BNIKb.3200$(E-Mail Removed)...

>is
>

>>>the

>>>both

>>Bob
>>
>> It would be up to you, tho even with the Mozilla suite,
>>you can still use the (ugh) OE if you really wanted <g>. Of course one
>>advantage to Firebird is the smaller download footprint of course.
>>
>> Both Mozilla and Firebird are very close in features (or
>>will be once Firebird reaches release stage). Mozilla (suite) has an
>>advantage at the moment because it has stable releases, and so
>>extensions/themes are available for it. These will be no doubt made
>>available for Firebird releases (if required) as well.
>>
>> Be aware that Firebird is still in development and is
>>considered 'beta' at the moment. Its quite acceptable for most users,
>>but you should realize that there WILL be bugs and features not yet
>>implemented. Mozilla (suite) at least has the 'stable' releases that
>>are relatively at least, bug free.
>>
>> But, as I said previously, your personal taste is what
>>should dictate the choice, so feel free to download both the Mozilla
>>suite and Firebird and try them out. After all, the price is right <g>

Bob

Choosing to leave mail on server would be useful if you are
just 'trying' the product on for size so to speak. Just remember to use
your other mail client routinely enough to empty your mailbox
occasionally if you decide to go this route.
You can also choose to not download any mail at all with
Mozilla, not even 'checking' it, just as if it didnt have a mail client
built in. With Mozilla, the choice is yours, you dont have to use the
built in mail client if you dont wish to, you can even skip setting up
Mail accounts entirely if you wish.

The entire idea is that you can customize the product to
exactly what you want, no more, no less.

Bob C.

dantu wrote:
> Bob C. wrote:
>
>> I downloaded and tried Firebird just now and already have received
>> various
>> errors where the program shut down.
>>
>> Is Mozilla 1.6b going to be buggy too? Or is it pretty stable? Would
>> I be
>> better off going with Mozilla 1.5?
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Bob C.
>>
>> "Keith Bowes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:C3JKb.196$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> of

>>> Probably, if you don't mind buggy beta software. Though, it is possible
>>> to use Outlook Express with Mozilla (suite). How to do it is somewhere
>>> in the documentation. This may be an option if you want an MathML, HTML
>>> editor, IRC chat, developer tools, access to more preferences, or other
>>> things that have been stripped form Firebird.
>>>

> Mozilla (suite), at least in the stable release versions (1.5 is the
> latest) should not create as many problems as the still in development
> Firebird.
>
> Personally, I would use Mozilla 1.5 myself, switching to 1.6 when it
> reaches stable release.

I just installed and am using Mozilla 1.5 and it's pretty slick. I even
like the email client. I'm going to try it out for a few days and see
what I think then. Thanks again guys for all your help and input.

Bob C.