Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Mozilla not responding whem clicking on a link

Mozilla not responding whem clicking on a link

Johan

Hi,

I use Mozilla 1.6b and it works fine except one thing. On some pages
Mozilla doesn't respond when I click on a link. This only happens on an
secure page (https:\\...). The link is something like
....\page.html#ssl90. At first the problem didn't exist when I used Moz
1.4, but for some reason it also doesn't work with Moz 1.4. I set the
disk cache using off, but that didn't do the trick. Any suggestions?
TIA

Johan

dantu

Johan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use Mozilla 1.6b and it works fine except one thing. On some pages
> Mozilla doesn't respond when I click on a link. This only happens on
> an secure page (https:\\...). The link is something like
> ...\page.html#ssl90. At first the problem didn't exist when I used Moz
> 1.4, but for some reason it also doesn't work with Moz 1.4. I set the
> disk cache using off, but that didn't do the trick. Any suggestions?
> TIA
>
> Johan

Johan

If you use an example of the page, perhaps we could be of
more assistance. Please provide a complete url that can be tested to see
if its a unique problem or not.

Johan

dantu wrote:
> Johan wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I use Mozilla 1.6b and it works fine except one thing. On some pages
>> Mozilla doesn't respond when I click on a link. This only happens on
>> an secure page (https:\\...). The link is something like
>> ...\page.html#ssl90. At first the problem didn't exist when I used Moz
>> 1.4, but for some reason it also doesn't work with Moz 1.4. I set the
>> disk cache using off, but that didn't do the trick. Any suggestions?
>> TIA
>>
>> Johan

> Johan
>
> If you use an example of the page, perhaps we could be of
> more assistance. Please provide a complete url that can be tested to see
> if its a unique problem or not.

Dantu, Thanks for Your reply.
Unfortunately it is not possible to give you the complete URL for
testing because it is an link on an secure page from my bank account
You need to log in to see the links. Hopefully You can help me out
without the actual link/site (The site is the Rabobank site
www.rabobank.nl All the links on this site work except for the links on
the secure part.) When You go to the site you get an message that the
site is optimized for IE (grrr), so difficulties could be expected. I
just think it's strange that it works in one version of Mozilla and not
in an newer one. Maybe You can help me out. TIA

Johan

dantu

Johan wrote:

> dantu wrote:
>
>> Johan wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I use Mozilla 1.6b and it works fine except one thing. On some pages
>>> Mozilla doesn't respond when I click on a link. This only happens on
>>> an secure page (https:\\...). The link is something like
>>> ...\page.html#ssl90. At first the problem didn't exist when I used
>>> Moz 1.4, but for some reason it also doesn't work with Moz 1.4. I
>>> set the disk cache using off, but that didn't do the trick. Any
>>> suggestions?
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Johan

>> Johan
>>
>> If you use an example of the page, perhaps we could be of
>> more assistance. Please provide a complete url that can be tested to
>> see if its a unique problem or not.
>>

> Dantu, Thanks for Your reply.
> Unfortunately it is not possible to give you the complete URL for
> testing because it is an link on an secure page from my bank account
> You need to log in to see the links. Hopefully You can help me out
> without the actual link/site (The site is the Rabobank site
> www.rabobank.nl All the links on this site work except for the links
> on the secure part.) When You go to the site you get an message that
> the site is optimized for IE (grrr), so difficulties could be
> expected. I just think it's strange that it works in one version of
> Mozilla and not in an newer one. Maybe You can help me out. TIA
>
> Johan

Johan

Its quite difficult to assess a problem I cant even see <g>.
Without a specific page that re-creates the problem here, it will be
almost impossible to determine what is wrong. It may be a site issue,
or a page issue, or a version issue.

Use of builds under development may occasion problems like
this, simply because the site in question is very specific about browser
identification. i.e. if there browser detect is limited to Mozilla 1.5
or earlier, then 1.6 wouldnt work until they adjust their sniffer.
For example, their browser sniffer may direct you to one
page if you are using any Mozilla up to 1.5, but another page if you are
using 1.6, simply because they have not accepted 1.6 for use as of yet.
If this is the case, tho, the webmaster/author should be
able to advise you what versions of Mozilla they do support. I wouldnt
expect them to support anything beyond 1.5 at the moment, simply because
1.6 is not in release yet.

Johan

dantu wrote:
> Johan wrote:
>
>> dantu wrote:

>>> Johan
>>>
>>> If you use an example of the page, perhaps we could be of
>>> more assistance. Please provide a complete url that can be tested to
>>> see if its a unique problem or not.
>>>

>> Dantu, Thanks for Your reply.
>> Unfortunately it is not possible to give you the complete URL for
>> testing because it is an link on an secure page from my bank account
>> You need to log in to see the links. Hopefully You can help me out
>> without the actual link/site (The site is the Rabobank site
>> www.rabobank.nl All the links on this site work except for the links
>> on the secure part.) When You go to the site you get an message that
>> the site is optimized for IE (grrr), so difficulties could be
>> expected. I just think it's strange that it works in one version of
>> Mozilla and not in an newer one. Maybe You can help me out. TIA
>>
>> Johan

> Johan
>
> Its quite difficult to assess a problem I cant even see <g>.
> Without a specific page that re-creates the problem here, it will be
> almost impossible to determine what is wrong. It may be a site issue,
> or a page issue, or a version issue.
>
> Use of builds under development may occasion problems like
> this, simply because the site in question is very specific about browser
> identification. i.e. if there browser detect is limited to Mozilla 1.5
> or earlier, then 1.6 wouldnt work until they adjust their sniffer.
> For example, their browser sniffer may direct you to one
> page if you are using any Mozilla up to 1.5, but another page if you are
> using 1.6, simply because they have not accepted 1.6 for use as of yet.
> If this is the case, tho, the webmaster/author should be
> able to advise you what versions of Mozilla they do support. I wouldnt
> expect them to support anything beyond 1.5 at the moment, simply because
> 1.6 is not in release yet.

Dantu
I understand that it is difficult (maybe impossible) to give any advice
without seeing the site. One thing I know for sure is that it should
work. I have send an email to the webmaster and they responded that it
should work when I adjusted some settings in Mozilla. I should disable
disk cache so that the page is not loaded from my own harddisk, but from
the server. I adjusted these settings but it doesn't work. It stopped
working when I switched from 1.4 to 1.5a. The sniffer correctly
identified my browser as Mozilla 1.5 and now 1.6 so that shouldn't be a
problem. I also tried to trick the sniffer to let it think that my
browser is IE but that didn't work either.
Johan

dantu

Johan wrote:

> dantu wrote:
>
>> Johan wrote:

>>> Dantu, Thanks for Your reply.
>>> Unfortunately it is not possible to give you the complete URL for
>>> testing because it is an link on an secure page from my bank account
>>> You need to log in to see the links. Hopefully You can help me
>>> out without the actual link/site (The site is the Rabobank site
>>> www.rabobank.nl All the links on this site work except for the links
>>> on the secure part.) When You go to the site you get an message that
>>> the site is optimized for IE (grrr), so difficulties could be
>>> expected. I just think it's strange that it works in one version of
>>> Mozilla and not in an newer one. Maybe You can help me out. TIA
>>>
>>> Johan

>> Johan
>>
>> Its quite difficult to assess a problem I cant even see
>> <g>. Without a specific page that re-creates the problem here, it
>> will be almost impossible to determine what is wrong. It may be a
>> site issue, or a page issue, or a version issue.
>>
>> Use of builds under development may occasion problems
>> like this, simply because the site in question is very specific about
>> browser identification. i.e. if there browser detect is limited to
>> Mozilla 1.5 or earlier, then 1.6 wouldnt work until they adjust their
>> sniffer.
>> For example, their browser sniffer may direct you to one
>> page if you are using any Mozilla up to 1.5, but another page if you
>> are using 1.6, simply because they have not accepted 1.6 for use as
>> of yet.
>> If this is the case, tho, the webmaster/author should be
>> able to advise you what versions of Mozilla they do support. I
>> wouldnt expect them to support anything beyond 1.5 at the moment,
>> simply because 1.6 is not in release yet.
>>

> Dantu
> I understand that it is difficult (maybe impossible) to give any
> advice without seeing the site. One thing I know for sure is that it
> should work. I have send an email to the webmaster and they responded
> that it should work when I adjusted some settings in Mozilla. I should
> disable disk cache so that the page is not loaded from my own
> harddisk, but from the server. I adjusted these settings but it
> doesn't work. It stopped working when I switched from 1.4 to 1.5a. The
> sniffer correctly identified my browser as Mozilla 1.5 and now 1.6 so
> that shouldn't be a problem. I also tried to trick the sniffer to let
> it think that my browser is IE but that didn't work either.
> Johan

Johan

But its not important what the page 'recognizes' your browser
as... as for identification, all it does is repeat the UA string back at
you, so of course it correctly identifies your browser.
What IS important is what their specific browser sniffer
coding says... if IT has not been updated to 'accept' 1.6, it wont.

You say the problem first occurred when you switched from
1.4 to 1.5a... again, 1.5a was NOT a 'release' version, it was a
development version. Many websites, especially financial ones, will NOT
accept any other versions other than the ones they have 'vetted', and
they wont vet (or test for security with their system) anything else
than 'release' versions.

If you are going to be using Mozilla on financial sites,
then I suggest you avoid development versions, and stick to the stable
releases (and there may be some time lag between release and acceptance
anyway). For now that means 1.5, or perhaps 1.4 or 1.4.1, depending on
the site in question.

For example, you say the site worked with 1.4. But if you
back to that version and CHANGE the UA string to read say 1.4a or 1.7,
then it wont work - same software, same program, you simply change the
UA string
For example, your current UA string is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98;
nl-NL; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031208

see the 1.6b ? That, and that alone, may be preventing it from working
with the site. You could even change that to 1.4, and the site would
probably work, proving its not the program, but the browser sniffer in use.

Johan

dantu wrote:
> [...]

> If you are going to be using Mozilla on financial sites, then
> I suggest you avoid development versions, and stick to the stable
> releases (and there may be some time lag between release and acceptance
> anyway). For now that means 1.5, or perhaps 1.4 or 1.4.1, depending on
> the site in question.
>
> For example, you say the site worked with 1.4. But if you
> back to that version and CHANGE the UA string to read say 1.4a or 1.7,
> then it wont work - same software, same program, you simply change the
> UA string
> For example, your current UA string is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98;
> nl-NL; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031208
>
> see the 1.6b ? That, and that alone, may be preventing it from working
> with the site. You could even change that to 1.4, and the site would
> probably work, proving its not the program, but the browser sniffer in use.

I switched back to 1.4.1 and made an clean install and now it works
fine. Thanks al lot for your time and help!
Johan

dantu

Johan wrote:

> dantu wrote:
>
>> Johan wrote:

>>> Dantu
>>> I understand that it is difficult (maybe impossible) to give any
>>> advice without seeing the site. One thing I know for sure is that it
>>> should work. I have send an email to the webmaster and they
>>> responded that it should work when I adjusted some settings in
>>> Mozilla. I should disable disk cache so that the page is not loaded
>>> from my own harddisk, but from the server. I adjusted these settings
>>> but it doesn't work. It stopped working when I switched from 1.4 to
>>> 1.5a. The sniffer correctly identified my browser as Mozilla 1.5 and
>>> now 1.6 so that shouldn't be a problem. I also tried to trick the
>>> sniffer to let it think that my browser is IE but that didn't work
>>> either.
>>> Johan

>> Johan
>>
>> But its not important what the page 'recognizes' your
>> browser as... as for identification, all it does is repeat the UA
>> string back at you, so of course it correctly identifies your browser.
>> What IS important is what their specific browser sniffer
>> coding says... if IT has not been updated to 'accept' 1.6, it wont.
>> You say the problem first occurred when you switched from
>> 1.4 to 1.5a... again, 1.5a was NOT a 'release' version, it was a
>> development version. Many websites, especially financial ones, will
>> NOT accept any other versions other than the ones they have 'vetted',
>> and they wont vet (or test for security with their system) anything
>> else than 'release' versions.
>>
>> If you are going to be using Mozilla on financial sites,
>> then I suggest you avoid development versions, and stick to the
>> stable releases (and there may be some time lag between release and
>> acceptance anyway). For now that means 1.5, or perhaps 1.4 or
>> 1.4.1, depending on the site in question.
>>
>> For example, you say the site worked with 1.4. But if you
>> back to that version and CHANGE the UA string to read say 1.4a or
>> 1.7, then it wont work - same software, same program, you simply
>> change the UA string
>> For example, your current UA string is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U;
>> Win98; nl-NL; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031208
>>
>> see the 1.6b ? That, and that alone, may be preventing it from
>> working with the site. You could even change that to 1.4, and the
>> site would probably work, proving its not the program, but the
>> browser sniffer in use.
>>

> Dantu
> I switched back to 1.4.1 and made an clean install and now it works
> fine. Thanks al lot for your time and help!
> Johan

Johan

I'm willing to bet that if you went to 1.6 and changed the UA
string to read the same as 1.4.1, then it would work as well.

Johan

dantu wrote:
> Johan wrote:
>
>> dantu wrote:

>>> Johan
>>>
>>> But its not important what the page 'recognizes' your
>>> browser as... as for identification, all it does is repeat the UA
>>> string back at you, so of course it correctly identifies your browser.
>>> What IS important is what their specific browser sniffer
>>> coding says... if IT has not been updated to 'accept' 1.6, it wont.
>>> You say the problem first occurred when you switched from
>>> 1.4 to 1.5a... again, 1.5a was NOT a 'release' version, it was a
>>> development version. Many websites, especially financial ones, will
>>> NOT accept any other versions other than the ones they have 'vetted',
>>> and they wont vet (or test for security with their system) anything
>>> else than 'release' versions.
>>>
>>> If you are going to be using Mozilla on financial sites,
>>> then I suggest you avoid development versions, and stick to the
>>> stable releases (and there may be some time lag between release and
>>> acceptance anyway). For now that means 1.5, or perhaps 1.4 or
>>> 1.4.1, depending on the site in question.
>>>
>>> For example, you say the site worked with 1.4. But if you
>>> back to that version and CHANGE the UA string to read say 1.4a or
>>> 1.7, then it wont work - same software, same program, you simply
>>> change the UA string
>>> For example, your current UA string is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U;
>>> Win98; nl-NL; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031208
>>>
>>> see the 1.6b ? That, and that alone, may be preventing it from
>>> working with the site. You could even change that to 1.4, and the
>>> site would probably work, proving its not the program, but the
>>> browser sniffer in use.
>>>

>> Dantu
>> I switched back to 1.4.1 and made an clean install and now it works
>> fine. Thanks al lot for your time and help!
>> Johan
>>

> Johan
>
> I'm willing to bet that if you went to 1.6 and changed the UA
> string to read the same as 1.4.1, then it would work as well.

It's worth a try, but how do I change the string?

Johan

Johan wrote:
> dantu wrote:
>
>> Johan wrote:

>>> Dantu
>>> I switched back to 1.4.1 and made an clean install and now it works
>>> fine. Thanks al lot for your time and help!
>>> Johan
>>>

>> Johan
>>
>> I'm willing to bet that if you went to 1.6 and changed the UA
>> string to read the same as 1.4.1, then it would work as well.
>>

> It's worth a try, but how do I change the string?

I installed 1.6b again and now it's working like a charm. Don't know why
but I think it has to do with an extension I installed earlier. (for
tabbedbrowsing) Well thanks a lot anyway.
Johan