Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Programming Ruby For Newbies

Programming Ruby For Newbies

Jeremy Woertink

Jin Dynasty wrote:
> Howdy there,
> I have always been interested in programming. I looked for books, but it
> treated me like a pro. Please let me state now: I have not done any
> programming before.
>
> I looked around, and Ruby seems most appealing to me, so I picked it as
> a first language; my mother tongue.
>
> Now what do I want? I am looking for a programming Ruby for dummies, for
> those who haven't type a single command line in their lifetime. Now I
> tried to read Programming Ruby, commonly called The Pickaxe, but again,
> the reader was treated as the book's subject aficionado.
>
> To sum up my rambling in one sentence: I want a programming ruby guide
> for dummies.
>
> I'm not asking for you to do my simple search on the net, I'm asking for
> your recommendation or referrals.
>
> Thanks in advanced,
> Jin

"You should check out Chris Pine's book "Learn to Program", which is an
intro to programming that uses Ruby to teach you.

http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/"

I agree with David, this was the first programming book I ever read. You
will want to read it twice though. I was in the same boat you were in. I
hate reading, and it takes me a while to understand some of these
things. He has you do small examples in the book and gives you small
tests. If you make it through completely 1 time through, then start back
at the beginning like it's your first time through, and you will catch
so much you missed the first time.

~Jeremy

Lloyd Linklater

Jin Dynasty wrote:
> To sum up my rambling in one sentence: I want a programming ruby guide
> for dummies.

There is something close:
http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...470081201.html

Ayyappan K.

hi,
Also check http://www.rubyist.net/~slagell/ruby/examples.html
-Ayyappan K.
Jin Dynasty wrote:

> To sum up my rambling in one sentence: I want a programming ruby guide
> for dummies.

> I'm not asking for you to do my simple search on the net, I'm asking for
> your recommendation or referrals.

Ari Brown

On Sep 3, 2007, at 9:50 PM, Phlip wrote:
>> To sum up my rambling in one sentence: I want a programming ruby
>> guide
>> for dummies.

> Please don't tempt us.

My only problem with For Dummy books is that they have poor paper
quality. 'Nuff said.

-------------------------------------------------------|
~ Ari
crap my sig won't fit

John Joyce

Like all books, many publishers' quality varies within a series from
title to title though the covers look similar.
Luckily, with Ruby, almost all the books are very very good.
If you want to learn Rails at some point, you want to get the book
from Sitepoint or the Friends of Ed book. They're both pretty good to
people new at programming and new at Ruby and new at web applications.
David Black's book is excellent for it's incredible and unique Ruby
insights, but it's approach to Rails is a bit out of date. That said,
it's still a very good book that should be in your Ruby library. It's
just too bad that the middle section dedicated to Ruby isn't
rewritten and bound as a purely Ruby book.
You'll see his posts here FREQUENTLY. David's posts are always worth
reading, no matter what you're doing with Ruby.
But you will see a whole host of names of people who post here
regularly that also have lots of insight and are very helpful.

Don't hesitate to visit the web sites of books and their authors.
Ruby and Rails authors are nice people and will actually respond to
you and try to help you if they can.

Jörg W Mittag

Jonathan Denni wrote:
> Mohit Sindhwani wrote:
>> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> You should check out Chris Pine's book "Learn to Program", which is an
>>> intro to programming that uses Ruby to teach you.
>>>
>>> http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/

>> I agree - I strongly recommend this one!

> I second that second!
>
> Ruby is my first language as well, and Chris Pine's book was essential!
> Buy it. It's worth it.

My personal dream book is "Learn to Pragmatically Program Ruby for
Rails, Head First (with Foxes)" by Chris Pine, Dave Thomas, David
Black, Kathy Sierra and _why the lucky stiff, but I doubt that will
ever get written (-;

jwm

Luis Fernando Flores Oviedo

I am currently reading Peter Cooper's "Beginning Ruby From Novice to
Professional" from appres. It has been a very funny experience and I =
have
enjoyed so far, with good examples and simple programming projects that =
tie
all together and help me make perfect sense of Ruby's ways. Check this =
book
at =
http://www.rubyinside.com/my-book-be...oday-437.html=

Hope it helps.