Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Web developement

Web developement

Ambrose Jeyaprabhuj

Hi guys,

I am about to develope a web application which will have many hits per
sec.

Decided to use linux , ruby , ajax and DB2 express edtion .

I need to implement a distributed environment which is scalable i. SOA
based .

Is my choice for RUBY correct i..e can i develope services in ruby ?

what webserver can i use ?

Take into consideration i am new to ruby . I am a .net developer but
wanted to imnplement my web in open source s/w .

thx in advnace

Chris Lowis

> I need to implement a distributed environment which is scalable i. SOA
> based .

caboose published an interesting article on scaling up a rails app
recently, it might give you some insight :

http://blog.caboo.se/articles/2007/7...-four-and-five

> what webserver can i use ?

Twitter is a rails app that handles hundreds of requests per second.
Some insights into their scaling issues are covered in this presentation
:

http://www.slideshare.net/Blaine/scaling-twitter

Good luck !

Chris

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Ambrose Jeyaprabhuj wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am about to develope a web application which will have many hits per
> sec.
>
> Decided to use linux , ruby , ajax and DB2 express edtion .

I'm not familiar with DB2 Express Edition and whether or not it works
with Rails, but so far you're talking the Rails language.

> I need to implement a distributed environment which is scalable i. SOA
> based .
>
> Is my choice for RUBY correct i..e can i develope services in ruby ?

Absolutely! Head over to the Rails list!

> what webserver can i use ?

The webserver of choice for Ruby/Rails apps is probably Mongrel.

> Take into consideration i am new to ruby . I am a .net developer but
> wanted to imnplement my web in open source s/w .

Have you looked at "mono"? It's an open source set of ".Net" tools.

Rob Standefer

Another thing you can do is check out IronRuby, the .NET
implementation of Ruby (put very succinctly). Then you can build web
services and such the .NET way, but using Ruby as the source language.
Some of the folks with whom I've discussed IronRuby plan to use it as
a "bridge" between their existing .NET skills and their future plans
for RoR.

Just an idea.

On 8/17/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ambrose Jeyaprabhuj wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I am about to develope a web application which will have many hits per
> > sec.
> >
> > Decided to use linux , ruby , ajax and DB2 express edtion .

> I'm not familiar with DB2 Express Edition and whether or not it works
> with Rails, but so far you're talking the Rails language.
> >
> > I need to implement a distributed environment which is scalable i. SOA
> > based .
> >
> > Is my choice for RUBY correct i..e can i develope services in ruby ?

> Absolutely! Head over to the Rails list!
> >
> > what webserver can i use ?

> The webserver of choice for Ruby/Rails apps is probably Mongrel.
>
> > Take into consideration i am new to ruby . I am a .net developer but
> > wanted to imnplement my web in open source s/w .

> Have you looked at "mono"? It's an open source set of ".Net" tools.

Alexey Verkhovsky

On 8/17/07, Rob Standefer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Another thing you can do is check out IronRuby,

A bit too early for that.

--
Alexey Verkhovsky
CruiseControl.rb [http://cruisecontrolrb.thoughtworks.com]