Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Backing up Bookmarks and Address'

Backing up Bookmarks and Address'

Tono

I'm sure this is simple, but so am I. I'm having a problem with my one
profile sending email, and all my profiles remembering the user names
and passwords. I want to do a fresh install, completly deleting mozilla
first, but I'd like to save my bookmarks and address. Exactly what
files do I save, and how do I go about putting them back in the fresh
installation? I'm using the latest build 1.7a.

Thanks
Tono

: : b r i a n : :

Tono wrote:
> I'm sure this is simple, but so am I. I'm having a problem with my one
> profile sending email, and all my profiles remembering the user names
> and passwords. I want to do a fresh install, completly deleting mozilla
> first, but I'd like to save my bookmarks and address. Exactly what
> files do I save, and how do I go about putting them back in the fresh
> installation? I'm using the latest build 1.7a.

Do you want to know how to do it manually, or would you rather use a
utility like:

http://backup.jasnapaka.com/

--
Brian

Tono

: : b r i a n : : wrote:

> Tono wrote:
>
>> I'm sure this is simple, but so am I. I'm having a problem with my
>> one profile sending email, and all my profiles remembering the user
>> names and passwords. I want to do a fresh install, completly deleting
>> mozilla first, but I'd like to save my bookmarks and address. Exactly
>> what files do I save, and how do I go about putting them back in the
>> fresh installation? I'm using the latest build 1.7a.
>>

> Do you want to know how to do it manually, or would you rather use a
> utility like:
>
> http://backup.jasnapaka.com/

Oh, thanks! That looks simple enough for me!

Tono

Tono

Tono wrote:
> : : b r i a n : : wrote:
>
>> Tono wrote:
>>
>>> I'm sure this is simple, but so am I. I'm having a problem with my
>>> one profile sending email, and all my profiles remembering the user
>>> names and passwords. I want to do a fresh install, completly
>>> deleting mozilla first, but I'd like to save my bookmarks and
>>> address. Exactly what files do I save, and how do I go about putting
>>> them back in the fresh installation? I'm using the latest build 1.7a.
>>>

>> Do you want to know how to do it manually, or would you rather use a
>> utility like:
>>
>> http://backup.jasnapaka.com/

> Oh, thanks! That looks simple enough for me!

I spoke too soon. I want to save my bookmarks and address but NOT my
server info. That is what seems to be corupted. Suddenly I can't send
email from one account and I can't delete and reinstall my server
settings. This account for example will allow me to post to a
newsgroup, but not send any email.

Tono

Tono

Tono wrote:
> Tono wrote:
>
>> : : b r i a n : : wrote:

>>> Do you want to know how to do it manually, or would you rather use a
>>> utility like:
>>>
>>> http://backup.jasnapaka.com/

>> Oh, thanks! That looks simple enough for me!

> I spoke too soon. I want to save my bookmarks and address but NOT my
> server info. That is what seems to be corupted. Suddenly I can't send
> email from one account and I can't delete and reinstall my server
> settings. This account for example will allow me to post to a
> newsgroup, but not send any email.

Just me replying to myself again. I found out the hard way that if you
use that backup program first, then delete only the account that was
corrupted, it also deletes the backed up files for that account.

Oh well, it was time to clean house anyway.

Tono

Jordan

I downloaded and ran the program.
Fine, it backed up, but when the screen closed I couldn't find where it
backed up to.
Does it make a file? Or an "invisible" backup that can be invoked somehow?

Jordan

: : b r i a n : :

Jordan wrote:

> I downloaded and ran the program.
> Fine, it backed up, but when the screen closed I couldn't find where it
> backed up to.
> Does it make a file? Or an "invisible" backup that can be invoked somehow?

It probably didn't go anywhere. There is a space in the program for you
to specifiy where the file gets saved.

--
Brian

David Warren

Jordan wrote:
> I downloaded and ran the program.
> Fine, it backed up, but when the screen closed I couldn't find where it
> backed up to.
> Does it make a file? Or an "invisible" backup that can be invoked somehow?
>
> Jordan

I'm using ver. 1.1 of backup haven't checked out 1.2 for changes but
when you go to backup a profile it states which file it backs upto at
the bottom of the "Profile Selection" page. You would use this program
to restore the profile by using "restore a profile" on the "operation
type" page.

- David

Tono

Jordan wrote:

> I downloaded and ran the program.
> Fine, it backed up, but when the screen closed I couldn't find where it
> backed up to.
> Does it make a file? Or an "invisible" backup that can be invoked somehow?
>
> Jordan

I don't recall offhand where it/I saved the file, but when I deleted and
reinstalled mozilla, it automaticly used the backup, I didn't have to do
any extra steps. Unfortunately, before uninstalling mozilla a second
time, I backed it up, and then deleted the one profile I was having a
problem with. That action apparently removed that profile from the
backup also.

Tono

Jordan

Quite right, I'd missed that.
By default, it put the file (with .pcv extension) into "My Documents"
folder.

Jordan

David Warren wrote:

> Jordan wrote:
>
>> Fine, it backed up, but when the screen closed I couldn't find where
>> it backed up to.
>>

> I'm using ver. 1.1 of backup haven't checked out 1.2 for changes but
> when you go to backup a profile it states which file it backs upto at
> the bottom of the "Profile Selection" page.

Gen'l Qn. re Backing up F'Fox and T'Bird Dennis J. Tuchler Firefox 1 12-03-2006 06:24 AM
Backing up games and dvd Jake the Pake Computer Support 1 02-20-2004 02:07 PM
backing up FB and TB Axl Firefox 23 12-19-2003 01:21 AM
Re: Backing up and restoring Mozilla mail and news Leonidas Jones Firefox 1 08-07-2003 02:06 PM
Re: backing up the registry that easy? And HD Valet Plato Computer Support 4 06-25-2003 10:13 PM

Advertisments