Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > I offer serious help

I offer serious help

SonOfLilit

Hello Joe,

I don't have much time now (ditching a physics lecture to write this)
so I'll make this first one short:

Do you still want help learning to program so that you'll eventually
be able to program an MMORPG (I'm warning you: it will probably take
at least five years under the best guidance there is, but they will be
fun years with many fun games created in between)?

I offer it. I think I understand you, as I'm 18, a proffesional
programmer, I hang out with lots of hobbyist game programmers and I
used to be one (I even started two summers ago to work on - gasp - a
very cool MMORTS written in Ruby).

To see if we speak the same language:
1) I think you'd enjoy playing with a language called Logo.

Download UCBLogo here:
ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/ucblogo/ucbwlogosetup.exe

Read this VERY SHORT great tutorial and type each and every example
you see, and then play with it's results to create something else
cool:
http://el.media.mit.edu/logo-foundat...go/turtle.html

Then read this series of three great free online books that I really
liked. While you read them, play with the turtle graphics you learned
in the tutorial and with the new ideas as you learn them to keep you
from being bored.
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/v1-toc2.html

These books will get you VERY far, like... To the level I was after
about five-six years programming, and you can easily complete them
until the end of the summer.

With any question, feel free to turn to me here or on
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (MSN Messenger).

I only ask one thing as payment: to see all the cool things you come
up with. That's my enjoyment - to see what cool things young
programmers create. So whatever you create while toying with the ideas
in the tutorial and the book, send me the source code for so that I
can recreate.

Aur

SonOfLilit

(to make things clear: this is Re: Need serious help!)

On 7/15/07, SonOfLilit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello Joe,
>
> I don't have much time now (ditching a physics lecture to write this)
> so I'll make this first one short:
>
> Do you still want help learning to program so that you'll eventually
> be able to program an MMORPG (I'm warning you: it will probably take
> at least five years under the best guidance there is, but they will be
> fun years with many fun games created in between)?
>
> I offer it. I think I understand you, as I'm 18, a proffesional
> programmer, I hang out with lots of hobbyist game programmers and I
> used to be one (I even started two summers ago to work on - gasp - a
> very cool MMORTS written in Ruby).
>

> To see if we speak the same language:
> 1) I think you'd enjoy playing with a language called Logo.
>
> Download UCBLogo here:
> ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/ucblogo/ucbwlogosetup.exe
>
> Read this VERY SHORT great tutorial and type each and every example
> you see, and then play with it's results to create something else
> cool:
> http://el.media.mit.edu/logo-foundat...go/turtle.html
>
> Then read this series of three great free online books that I really
> liked. While you read them, play with the turtle graphics you learned
> in the tutorial and with the new ideas as you learn them to keep you
> from being bored.
> http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/v1-toc2.html
>
> These books will get you VERY far, like... To the level I was after
> about five-six years programming, and you can easily complete them
> until the end of the summer.
>
> With any question, feel free to turn to me here or on
> (E-Mail Removed) (MSN Messenger).
>
> I only ask one thing as payment: to see all the cool things you come
> up with. That's my enjoyment - to see what cool things young
> programmers create. So whatever you create while toying with the ideas
> in the tutorial and the book, send me the source code for so that I
> can recreate.
>

> Aur

Joe Wiltrout

Tyvm. I will try this imediately. When (If, but most likely I will) make
something worth telling people about, I shall tell you right after I
tell my friend who codes Java. And thank you for not telling me to go
and write hello world! thousands of times. And if there is ever a time
when I do make a good game that people would pay to play, or pay to get
exclusive features or something like that, you will get everything free.
Course that won't be for awhile.

Joe Wiltrout

Dangit. The download isn't working. For some reason it won't paste into
the address bar, and I typed it manually and didn't bring anything up.
And btw, what time period is your MMORTS set in? Like futuristic or
medival type?

Sammy Larbi

Joe Wiltrout wrote, On 7/15/2007 2:55 PM:
> Dangit. The download isn't working. For some reason it won't paste into
> the address bar, and I typed it manually and didn't bring anything up.
> And btw, what time period is your MMORTS set in? Like futuristic or
> medival type?

Joe,

What was this in reference to?

Sam

Joe Wiltrout

I found a download. From Brian Harvey's homepage. So Im assuming it
would be the best one. And also some guy wrote a 94 page Introduction to
Programming for Middle School Aged Kids. It's about Logo, so im gunna
read that after I read the tutorial you said.

Joe Wiltrout

Sammy Larbi wrote:
> Joe Wiltrout wrote, On 7/15/2007 2:55 PM:
>> Dangit. The download isn't working. For some reason it won't paste into
>> the address bar, and I typed it manually and didn't bring anything up.
>> And btw, what time period is your MMORTS set in? Like futuristic or
>> medival type?
>>

> Joe,
>
> What was this in reference to?
>
> Sam

? The download link that SonofLilit put in his very nice and helpful
post didn't copy and paste into the address bar, and didn't work when I
manually typed it, but I went and googled it and found a download for
it. And he said he was working on a MMORTS, which sounds like an
interesting type of game. I like MMO, and I like RTS, add em together,
and it sounds wicked awesome. So I wanted to know if it was futuristic
like Halo Wars, or medival like Age of Myth., or Age of Empires. Or a
sort of combination like Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends. With the
machines and the magic.

Sammy Larbi

Joe Wiltrout wrote, On 7/15/2007 3:19 PM:
> Sammy Larbi wrote:
>
>> Joe Wiltrout wrote, On 7/15/2007 2:55 PM:
>>
>>> Dangit. The download isn't working. For some reason it won't paste into
>>> the address bar, and I typed it manually and didn't bring anything up.
>>> And btw, what time period is your MMORTS set in? Like futuristic or
>>> medival type?
>>>

>> Joe,
>>
>> What was this in reference to?
>>
>> Sam
>>

> ? The download link that SonofLilit put in his very nice and helpful
> post didn't copy and paste into the address bar, and didn't work when I
> manually typed it, but I went and googled it and found a download for
> it. And he said he was working on a MMORTS, which sounds like an
> interesting type of game. I like MMO, and I like RTS, add em together,
> and it sounds wicked awesome. So I wanted to know if it was futuristic
> like Halo Wars, or medival like Age of Myth., or Age of Empires. Or a
> sort of combination like Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends. With the
> machines and the magic.

Did you look into the Novashell game maker I sent?
(http://www.rtsoft.com/novashell/)

Joe Wiltrout

Omg. This turtle thing is fun. I was just messing around, and made the
backward command.

to backward
right 180
end

That was easy. In ruby, it was much more complicated to tell it new
words. I made Ruby reconize my sandwich as Ham Turkey Cheese, and that
took 10 minutes. lol.

Joe Wiltrout

Only problem, I don't know some kind of command that erases what I did
without restarting UCB Logo and losing the words I created.