Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Preserving some characters on db insert

Preserving some characters on db insert

anony

Hi,

I'm looking to find out how to properly handle the input of certain
characters into a textbox that will be inserted into a database. In this
app, text is copied and pasted into a textbox from various sources, and
sometimes contains the funky curly quotes and apostrophes which end up being
dropped on the database insert. I'm not sure if the issue resides in my
asp.net code or in the database itself (SQL 2000). Thanks for any help.

Bobby Ryzhy

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:50:50 GMT, "anony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm looking to find out how to properly handle the input of certain
>characters into a textbox that will be inserted into a database. In this
>app, text is copied and pasted into a textbox from various sources, and
>sometimes contains the funky curly quotes and apostrophes which end up being
>dropped on the database insert. I'm not sure if the issue resides in my
>asp.net code or in the database itself (SQL 2000). Thanks for any help.

When doing an insert into the db - use a paramaterized query.

Bobby Ryzhy
bobby @ domain below
http://weekendtech.net

anony

I am using a paramaterized query on the insert... any other suggestions?

Thanks.

"Bobby Ryzhy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:50:50 GMT, "anony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm looking to find out how to properly handle the input of certain
> >characters into a textbox that will be inserted into a database. In this
> >app, text is copied and pasted into a textbox from various sources, and
> >sometimes contains the funky curly quotes and apostrophes which end up

being
> >dropped on the database insert. I'm not sure if the issue resides in my
> >asp.net code or in the database itself (SQL 2000). Thanks for any help.
> >

> When doing an insert into the db - use a paramaterized query.
>

> Bobby Ryzhy
> bobby @ domain below
> http://weekendtech.net

Bobby Ryzhy

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 14:03:45 GMT, "anony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am using a paramaterized query on the insert... any other suggestions?
>
>Thanks.
>
>"Bobby Ryzhy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:50:50 GMT, "anony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I'm looking to find out how to properly handle the input of certain
>> >characters into a textbox that will be inserted into a database. In this
>> >app, text is copied and pasted into a textbox from various sources, and
>> >sometimes contains the funky curly quotes and apostrophes which end up

>being
>> >dropped on the database insert. I'm not sure if the issue resides in my
>> >asp.net code or in the database itself (SQL 2000). Thanks for any help.
>> >

>> When doing an insert into the db - use a paramaterized query.
>>

>> Bobby Ryzhy
>> bobby @ domain below
>> http://weekendtech.net

if you are using a parameterized query to insert - it will maintain all integrity of the charachters.

Bobby Ryzhy
bobby @ domain below
http://weekendtech.net

anony

It must be on the database end then. I'm using SQL Server 2000, and the
textbox.txt is going into a text field. Things like curly quotes and the
"sharp" apostrophe are getting dropped on insert.