Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > a matter of style

a matter of style

dblack@wobblini.net

Hi --

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Robert Dober wrote:

> On 6/13/07, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi --
>>

>> It's not a contest --

> 100% agree
>> not even a debate.

> 100% surprised (maybe I do not grasp the semantics of debate, it means
> discussion, right?)

It usually implies an outcome: someone "wins".

>> Ultimately people should do
>> what they want. I like to steer people, especially newcomers, to the
>> traditional style, in the hope that that's what they will decide they
>> want to do, partly just because it *is* the traditional style, and
>> partly because on the whole it looks so great.

> Sorry for intervening with that, but I will just be clear again:
> David's the guy to follow when in doubt, if you prefer my style you
> prefer it anyway but be warned neverheless .
>
> David has probably read and written 100 times the Ruby Code I have
> read and written (catching up though. As he I do not think it is a
> contest, maybe I was confusing the ML with a chat forum a little
> bit...
>>
>> That's all there is to it. You already know everything you need to
>> know, and you can decide what to do. It doesn't matter who (including
>> me) says what (and we already have ways to determine what Matz does).
>>
>> In other words, let's not get into one of these interminable threads
>> where people try to "argue" and "convince" each other. It's just not
>> that kind of situation. (And neither are 99.9999% of such threads

> I was not trying to do this but you make me aware that I was talking
> too much, point taken.
>
> Over and out

I didn't mean to say you'd said too much -- just thinking that this is
the kind of topic where people (not you specifically) get into these
long, aimless ping-pong matches which don't actually result in
anything, and hoping to avert that (again, not you specifically).

David

--
* Books:
RAILS ROUTING (new! http://safari.awprofessional.com/9780321509246)

Chad Perrin

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 09:37:58PM +0900, Yossef Mendelssohn wrote:

> > > I have yet to see a practical case where the precedence actually came
> > > into play -- and I suspect that, when I do finally see such a thing,
> > > readability would benefit from a refactor so that it doesn't come into
> > > play after all.

> > assert_not_nil @enum.find do
> > # ... a few lines of search code here ...
> > end

> I think Chad's point stands. It seems whatever is encapsulated in the
> enum's find search code would be better off as a method on that
> object. That would make the test cleaner and then there won't be any
> worry about block style precedence.

Actually, I think you assumed more meaning in what I said than I
intended. The same goes for the previous poster, too. I didn't mean
that the precedence diference wouldn't or shouldn't prompt you to choose
wisely between do...end and {...} syntaxes -- only that the difference in
precedence *between the two* isn't something I'd seen, or probably should
see. I mean precedence "between the two" in the same way I'd mean it in
relation to + and * operators: when stringing things together, the
precedence of + and * in relation to one another becomes important, such
as in this case of potentially ambiguous intent:
1 + 2 * 4

Dr. Ron Paul: "Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when
terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons."