Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Ruby has not been added to LSB 3.2 (but both Perl and Python)

Ruby has not been added to LSB 3.2 (but both Perl and Python)

GinTon

I've seen that the next version of LSB 3.2 (will be released on June,
2007) will add Perl and Python but not Ruby. That mean that the next
Linux distributions that follow the LSB standard as Debian or Ubuntu
will have Perl and Python by default.

http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/LSB_Roadmap

Ruby is the second best programming language that can be easily used
for SOP (Script-Oriented Programming) only behind of sh shell. So the
Ruby community should to inform / contact / press to linux-
foundation.org for that Ruby also been added.

http://merd.sourceforge.net/pixel/la...ting-language/

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

GinTon wrote:
> I've seen that the next version of LSB 3.2 (will be released on June,
> 2007) will add Perl and Python but not Ruby. That mean that the next
> Linux distributions that follow the LSB standard as Debian or Ubuntu
> will have Perl and Python by default.
>
> http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/LSB_Roadmap
>
> Ruby is the second best programming language that can be easily used
> for SOP (Script-Oriented Programming) only behind of sh shell. So the
> Ruby community should to inform / contact / press to linux-
> foundation.org for that Ruby also been added.
>
> http://merd.sourceforge.net/pixel/la...ting-language/

While I agree that Ruby "should" be part of the LSB, the fact is that
the committees that oversee LSB and other standards are composed of
people *invited* to be there, not people who believe that they *should*
be there. So don't expect much without a *lot* of networking. And don't
expect whining to get you anything.

Paul Stickney

Or just...
popularize many handy Ruby-based [system] utilities that people "can't
live without".

Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists

On Sat, 26 May 2007, GinTon wrote:

> I've seen that the next version of LSB 3.2 (will be released on June,
> 2007) will add Perl and Python but not Ruby. That mean that the next
> Linux distributions that follow the LSB standard as Debian or Ubuntu
> will have Perl and Python by default.
>
> http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/LSB_Roadmap
>
> Ruby is the second best programming language that can be easily used
> for SOP (Script-Oriented Programming) only behind of sh shell. So the
> Ruby community should to inform / contact / press to linux-
> foundation.org for that Ruby also been added.
>
> http://merd.sourceforge.net/pixel/la...ting-language/

I don't see how not including Ruby by default could be a problem (mind
you I haven't checked what "including by default" means - does it, as I
assume, that a distro to be LSB compliant needs to ship Perl/Python as
part of its base installation?). However I see how including Python and
Perl by default could be a problem: bloat. And if you add Ruby too: more
bloat.

I can't see what's so difficult about "apt-get install ruby", or whatever
that is in the other distros.
*t

Tomas Pospisek
http://sourcepole.com - Linux & Open Source Solutions

znmeb@cesmail.net

Quoting Alex Young <(E-Mail Removed)>:

> Paul Stickney wrote:
> > Or just...
> > popularize many handy Ruby-based [system] utilities that people "can't
> > live without".
> >

> I think that must be the point - it's not that the LSB people
> necessarily like Perl and Python over Ruby, it's just that more
> system-almost-critical scripts and tools are written in them than are
> written in Ruby.
>
> --
> Alex

IIRC all distros have at least one component that's written in Python. The Red
Hat installer, Anaconda, is written in Python. I'm not sure about Perl, though.

John Joyce

> IIRC all distros have at least one component that's written in
> Python. The Red
> Hat installer, Anaconda, is written in Python. I'm not sure about
> Perl, though.

This is exactly the kind of reason why these are installed by
default, I suspect. Much software that is part of the distro and is
commonly used may need Perl and Python to run some install scripts.
Certainly, any Apache install almost always is installed with Perl.
Perl more than any other scripting language is pretty much bound to
Linux and Unix by history and the loads of tools that use it/are
built with it.

znmeb@cesmail.net

Quoting Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists <(E-Mail Removed)>:

> On Sat, 26 May 2007, GinTon wrote:
>
> > I've seen that the next version of LSB 3.2 (will be released on June,
> > 2007) will add Perl and Python but not Ruby. That mean that the next
> > Linux distributions that follow the LSB standard as Debian or Ubuntu
> > will have Perl and Python by default.
> >
> > http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/LSB_Roadmap
> >
> > Ruby is the second best programming language that can be easily used
> > for SOP (Script-Oriented Programming) only behind of sh shell. So the
> > Ruby community should to inform / contact / press to linux-
> > foundation.org for that Ruby also been added.
> >
> > http://merd.sourceforge.net/pixel/la...ting-language/

> I don't see how not including Ruby by default could be a problem (mind
> you I haven't checked what "including by default" means - does it, as I
> assume, that a distro to be LSB compliant needs to ship Perl/Python as
> part of its base installation?). However I see how including Python and
> Perl by default could be a problem: bloat. And if you add Ruby too: more
> bloat.
>
> I can't see what's so difficult about "apt-get install ruby", or whatever
> that is in the other distros.
> *t

I agree ... furthermore, it just flat out ain't gonna happen on some distros,
like Gentoo. Gentoo is very much a customizable distro. If you're a minimalist,
you can bring the system up with a "stage3" install. Gentoo, being source-based,
however, does have something by default that most of the major distros -- RPM
and DEB based -- don't have: gcc. So a minimal Gentoo box will have more stuff
than a minimal Red Hat or Debian box.

In any event, LSB is purely an attempt to converge the two major dialects of
Linux, Red Hat/RPM and Debian/DEB, into something that people from either side
of the fence can deal with. "Also-rans" like Gentoo and Ruby are not part of
this by the intention of the committee. Ruby can do itself a big favor, and
Rails can do itself an even bigger favor, by *embracing* the standard, rather
than whining about being excluded.

LSB aligned data wongjoekmeu@yahoo.com C++ 3 04-18-2008 08:24 PM
LSB and Ruby daniel åkerud Ruby 0 02-28-2008 03:09 PM
Reversing Bit Order.. i.e. MSB becomes bit 0, LSB becomes bit 15 benn686@hotmail.com C++ 9 08-22-2007 12:13 AM
Solution for posterity: GridView, Datakeys, and "Item has already been added. Key in dictionary: 'CategoryID' Key being added: 'CategoryID'" ASP .Net 2 11-02-2006 04:48 AM