Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Can I open RAR files?

Can I open RAR files?

Xarc

Hi!
How can I open .rar files from ruby?

akbarhome

On May 22, 1:33 pm, Xarc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi!
> How can I open .rar files from ruby?

Your best bet is using system call for unrar program.

vasudevram

On May 22, 7:05 pm, akbarhome <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 22, 1:33 pm, Xarc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> > How can I open .rar files from ruby?

> > --

> Your best bet is using system call for unrar program.

You may also be able to use popen(), assuming the command line version
of RAR supports taking arguments to specify listing the contents of
a .rar file. This way would be a bit more "interactive" than using
system() to tell RAR to list the .rar files contents to a temp file,
and then reading that file from your Ruby code.

Vasudev Ram
Dancing Bison Enterprises
http://www.dancingbison.com

Jorge Domenico Bucaran Romano

Xarc wrote:
> Hi!
> How can I open .rar files from ruby?

There is no native way or right way to do that, the thing is that RAR is
a propietary file compression format. As <Akbar Home> and <vasudevram>
said that is your best shot.

akbarhome

On May 22, 1:33 pm, Xarc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi!
> How can I open .rar files from ruby?

Your best bet is using system call for unrar program.

Xarc Asda qwerty

Ok. Thank you!