Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Sending mail to own account not working

Sending mail to own account not working

Steve Court

dantu wrote:

> Steve Court wrote:
>
>> dantu wrote:

>> OF course! Two ways of picking up the same account. I do have other
>> webmail accounts which are nothing to do with this issue.

>> No, I've set Mozilla to leave messages on the server to eliminate that.

>>> Depends on the webmail in use. Some, such as yours, leave it on the
>>> server, others do not.

>> That's a setting on the client - I've set mine to leave it on the
>> server whilst troubleshooting this problem.
>>
>> Anyway, update - I've narrowed the problem down to my smtp server.
>>
>> When I change the smtp server in Mozilla, the problem goes away! So at
>> least I know how to get round the irritating issue.
>>
>> So it's not a Mozilla problem, but I'm now curious as to why my smtp
>> server would do that? It's only just started happening, anyone know
>> the ins-ans-outs of smtp servers to shed any light?
>>
>> Steve
>>

> Steve
>
> You are using only one SMTP server right? Mozilla has a bad
> habit of creating problems when more than one SMTP server is used in a
> profile.
> I suggest only using ONE SMTP server, for all the accounts on
> the profile. The only difference will be that some (most?) will have
> incorrect headers, but who looks at those anyway <g>.
> i.e. If you have an att.net account, and an earthlink account,
> and a cox account say, you can send ALL your email via att.net if you'd
> like, there is no downside to it really. Most SMTP servers dont care
> what you put in the from address anyway.
>
> For example, I have accounts on 3 ISPs, but only use one of
> the SMTP servers to send from. Replies to each message will still be
> directed to the account specified in the from address (or reply to if
> used).
>
> Think of SMTP servers (outbound) like postal drop boxes. No
> matter if your 'usual' box is on the corner of the street, if you have
> occassion to use one across town, the mail still goes thru. The drop
> boxes dont care

Thanks for the info - yes, I'd read that bit about multiple SMTP
servers, and normally I wouldn't have more than the default. I've placed
a support call with my domain hosters, they accept that it's a problem
their end and are looking into the smtp server configuration.

I only queried Mozilla as I've just started using it, and have not had
this problem with many other mail accounts and clients

Thanks for the responses