Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > What is the best ruby on rails doc/guide/tutorial/book ?

What is the best ruby on rails doc/guide/tutorial/book ?

anansi

Hi,
after playing a bit with ruby I also wanna put my head into ruby on
rails. What is the best paper to learn from? What advice can you give me?

--
greets
(
)
(
/\ .-"""-. /\
//\\/ ,,, \//\\
|/\| ,;;;;;, |/\|
//\\\;-"""-;///\\
// \/ . \/ \\
(| ,-_| \ | / |_-, |)
//`__\.-.-./__`\\
// /.-(() ())-.\ \\
(\ |) '---' (| /)
` (| |) `
jgs \) (/

one must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a
dancing star

Mike Shock

Hi!
There're a lot of good books on Rails (http://www.rubyonrails.com/books)
on paper and in PDF; the most popular probably are:
1. "Agile Web Development with Rails", 2nd ed. by Dave Thomas & David
Heinemeier Hansson (with Leon Breedt, Mike Clark, James Duncan Davidson,
Justin Gehtland, Andreas Schwarz) - Pragmatic Programmers, 2006. 715 p.
/ PDF, 6.6 MB
2. "Ruby on Rails: Up and Running" by Bruce A. Tate & Curt Hibbs -
O'Reilly, 2006. 184 p. / CHM, 1.13 MB / PDF, 2.7 MB

(1) is a classical comprehensive tutorial, (2) is very good for quick
start.
Some links to tutorials can be found at: http://www.rubyonrails.com/docs

Regards,
Mike Shock (Mikhail Shokhirev)
> Hi,
> after playing a bit with ruby I also wanna put my head into ruby on
> rails. What is the best paper to learn from? What advice can you give me?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

barjunk

On Apr 29, 12:53 pm, Ewald Cress <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Amen to adding David's book to your collection!
> Between that, "Agile Web Development with Rails" and
> the Pickaxe, you've got your Ruby and Rails bases
> covered, with precious little redundancy between them.
> I really value David's book for giving one a feel for
> Ruby idioms *and* Rails idioms though. As a newbie to
> both, it has given me that bit more confidence in
> understanding the two overlapping cultures.
>
> Ewald Cress
>
> --- "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

Being new to the community myself, I agree with these recommendations,
especially PickAxe and David Black's book.

Mike B.