Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Slow Computers and Developer (oops... the link was missing)

Slow Computers and Developer (oops... the link was missing)

Behrang Saeedzadeh

Hi,

I have created a survey titled "Slow Computers and Developer
Productivity" with the aim of finding the possible effects of slow
computer performance on developer productivity, behavior, and ROI for
companies. It is a small survey with only 5 items. I have created this
experimental survey for my IT Research methods class. I will be
thankful if you participate in the survey.

The link to survey:
http://freeonlinesurveys.com/renders...43h7adoq289498

Thanks in advance,
Behrang

--

Behrang Saeedzadeh
http://www.jroller.com/page/behrangsa

Eleanor McHugh

On 13 Apr 2007, at 18:09, Behrang Saeedzadeh wrote:
> I have created a survey titled "Slow Computers and Developer
> Productivity" with the aim of finding the possible effects of slow
> computer performance on developer productivity, behavior, and ROI for
> companies. It is a small survey with only 5 items. I have created this
> experimental survey for my IT Research methods class. I will be
> thankful if you participate in the survey.

Some of my most productive development work has been performed on
"slow" computers but as you've not really allowed for that option I
can't participate in your survey. This leads me to suspect that
you've already drawn your own conclusion...

Ellie

Being and Doing are merely useful abstractions for the 'time'-
dependent asymmetries of phase space.

Behrang Saeedzadeh

Hi Ellie,

You could point to that fact in the comments. As I had said, this is
only an experimental survey. Besides my lack of enough attention, part
of the fact that it was not high quality, was the restrictions of the
survey builder I used. I'll be happy if you participate in the next
survey that I am going to create during the course of the next two
weeks.

Cheers,
Behi

On 4/14/07, Eleanor McHugh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 13 Apr 2007, at 18:09, Behrang Saeedzadeh wrote:
> > I have created a survey titled "Slow Computers and Developer
> > Productivity" with the aim of finding the possible effects of slow
> > computer performance on developer productivity, behavior, and ROI for
> > companies. It is a small survey with only 5 items. I have created this
> > experimental survey for my IT Research methods class. I will be
> > thankful if you participate in the survey.

> Some of my most productive development work has been performed on
> "slow" computers but as you've not really allowed for that option I
> can't participate in your survey. This leads me to suspect that
> you've already drawn your own conclusion...
>

> Ellie
>
> Being and Doing are merely useful abstractions for the 'time'-
> dependent asymmetries of phase space.

--

Behrang Saeedzadeh
http://www.jroller.com/page/behrangsa
http://my.opera.com/behrangsa

Phillip Gawlowski

Johan Veenstra wrote:
> On 4/14/07, Eleanor McHugh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> Some of my most productive development work has been performed on
>> "slow" computers

> My theory is that 'working on a slow computer' gives you 'more time to
> think' ....

No, it teaches you to efficiently use resources, as "Just throw more CPU
/ RAM at it!" doesn't help you in this scenario.

--
Phillip "CynicalRyan" Gawlowski
http://cynicalryan.110mb.com/

Rule of Open-Source Programming #37:

Duplicate effort is inevitable. Live with it.