Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Importing mail messages from a directory of Mozilla 1.4 to 1.5

Importing mail messages from a directory of Mozilla 1.4 to 1.5

mrzac

Hi to all! I have just upgraded my Mozilla to 1.5 vers. (and I passed to
Windows XP from WIndows ME: I saved the old folder with my profile of
Mozilla in the "application data" directory and formatted the disk, then
I installed Win XP with SP1 for the first time in my life and I
installed Mozilla 1.5) but I could not find a way to import the old
mails: why?! Do you know if there's some way to do it? It's quite
frustrating to loose all the past mails: why Mozilla 1.4 isn't
compatible with the Mozilla1.5 message format if Netscape 4.7 messenger
messages were imported by Mozilla 1.3 ??????

thanks in advance for your replies, rz.

Leonidas Jones

mrzac wrote:

> Hi to all! I have just upgraded my Mozilla to 1.5 vers. (and I passed to
> Windows XP from WIndows ME: I saved the old folder with my profile of
> Mozilla in the "application data" directory and formatted the disk, then
> I installed Win XP with SP1 for the first time in my life and I
> installed Mozilla 1.5) but I could not find a way to import the old
> mails: why?! Do you know if there's some way to do it? It's quite
> frustrating to loose all the past mails: why Mozilla 1.4 isn't
> compatible with the Mozilla1.5 message format if Netscape 4.7 messenger
> messages were imported by Mozilla 1.3 ??????
>
> thanks in advance for your replies, rz.

There are several ways.

If you want, just paste the entire folder for your old profile into the
new machine's profile folder. Then open Profile Manager, and create a
new profile with same name as the old one. This new profile should pick
up all the old information, including mail.

XP profiles are in C://Documents and Settings//(username)//Application
Data//Mozilla.

Note that Application Data is a hidden folder, so you must set XP to
displayhidden fiels and folders.

Lee

Lee

mrzac

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> If you want, just paste the entire folder for your old profile into the
> new machine's profile folder. Then open Profile Manager, and create a
> [..]
> Note that Application Data is a hidden folder, so you must set XP to
> displayhidden fiels and folders.

I do not know why this method do not work with my Mozilla 1.5 mail
client. So I have just tried to create a folder and a subfolder in my
"local folders" Mail directory with the mail program. Then I went to
"Explore" and I found the folder of the subfolder created in Mozilla.
Then I copied each old mail file and I managed to restore my previous
mails. Thank you!

> Lee
> Lee

ciao, rz