Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > SciTE Alternatives

SciTE Alternatives

PythonUsr

Are there any good SciTE alternatives that are mainly for Ruby editing
and compiling? I don't mean FreeRIDE, as I can't stand that program
(so many warnings and errors when you run it, it's unbelievable).

Can you guys give me any alternatives? (a link to a list or a direct
link is fine)

- Alx

Stefan Mahlitz

PythonUsr wrote:
> Are there any good SciTE alternatives that are mainly for Ruby editing
> and compiling? I don't mean FreeRIDE, as I can't stand that program
> (so many warnings and errors when you run it, it's unbelievable).

This may be the same problem fxri has. fxri does work though, so if you
say errors with freeride it may be something diferent.

> Can you guys give me any alternatives? (a link to a list or a direct
> link is fine)

I'm using jEdit as editor when I need to look at large classes. Normally
I'm using SciTE.

jedit is available at http://www.jedit.org/

You may want to read these instructions for how to install the ruby
plugin http://rubyjedit.org/download/

And btw, ruby programs are not compiled.

Stefan

PythonUsr

On Mar 18, 9:34 am, Stefan Mahlitz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> PythonUsr wrote:
> > Are there any good SciTE alternatives that are mainly for Ruby editing
> > and compiling? I don't mean FreeRIDE, as I can't stand that program
> > (so many warnings and errors when you run it, it's unbelievable).

> This may be the same problem fxri has. fxri does work though, so if you
> say errors with freeride it may be something diferent.
>
> > Can you guys give me any alternatives? (a link to a list or a direct
> > link is fine)

> I'm using jEdit as editor when I need to look at large classes. Normally
> I'm using SciTE.
>
> jedit is available athttp://www.jedit.org/
>
> You may want to read these instructions for how to install the ruby
> pluginhttp://rubyjedit.org/download/
>
> And btw, ruby programs are not compiled.
>
> Stefan

Heh, I know... I usually use SciTE, but it hates me, now. It freezes
when I use gets() for anything...

I'll check jEdit out... Is it free?

Brian Candler

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 09:30:04PM +0900, PythonUsr wrote:
> Are there any good SciTE alternatives that are mainly for Ruby editing
> and compiling? I don't mean FreeRIDE, as I can't stand that program
> (so many warnings and errors when you run it, it's unbelievable).
>
> Can you guys give me any alternatives? (a link to a list or a direct
> link is fine)

The free version of Komodo Edit may be of interest:
http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_edit/
It's derived from Mozilla code I believe.

I'm not a GUI fan, and I still use my Unix editor (joe), but this is almost
good enough to make me change. It's fast to load, and easy to navigate.

There is also a version with IDE, which is expensive but has a free trial.
(But with Ruby, I'm happy using an editor to edit, and a shell to run)

Regards,

Brian.

Harry

On 3/18/07, PythonUsr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Are there any good SciTE alternatives that are mainly for Ruby editing
> and compiling? I don't mean FreeRIDE, as I can't stand that program
> (so many warnings and errors when you run it, it's unbelievable).

Am I missing something?
I have used FreeRide many times with no errors (unless my code has bugs).
Is there a problem with new versions?

Harry

--

http://www.kakueki.com/ruby/list.html
Japanese Ruby List Subjects in English

Martin DeMello

On 3/18/07, PythonUsr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Are there any good SciTE alternatives that are mainly for Ruby editing
> and compiling? I don't mean FreeRIDE, as I can't stand that program
> (so many warnings and errors when you run it, it's unbelievable).
>
> Can you guys give me any alternatives? (a link to a list or a direct
> link is fine)

Mondrian [http://www.mondrian-ide.com/] looks pretty good. I don't
know why it's not more popular.

martin

Nando Sanchez

Netbeans if providing a very nice IDE for Ruby development. Take a look
at this thread:

http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/101616#new

There you can find a comparison between this IDE and Eclipse's.

Regards,

Nando

Chad Perrin

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 10:50:05PM +0900, PythonUsr wrote:

> Heh, I know... I usually use SciTE, but it hates me, now. It freezes
> when I use gets() for anything...

What platform? You may be able to get SciTE working properly again, and
not have to worry about a new editor.

Leon Festinger: "A man with a conviction is a hard man to change. Tell
him you disagree and he turns away. Show him facts and figures and he
questions your sources. Appeal to logic and he fails to see your point."

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Martin DeMello wrote:
> On 3/18/07, PythonUsr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Are there any good SciTE alternatives that are mainly for Ruby editing
>> and compiling? I don't mean FreeRIDE, as I can't stand that program
>> (so many warnings and errors when you run it, it's unbelievable).
>>
>> Can you guys give me any alternatives? (a link to a list or a direct
>> link is fine)

> Mondrian [http://www.mondrian-ide.com/] looks pretty good. I don't
> know why it's not more popular.
>
> martin

Is it a live project? I looked at both Mondrian and FreeRide a while
back. They looked similar, but FreeRide looked more active, and it was
in Gentoo's Portage tree.

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Brian Candler wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 09:30:04PM +0900, PythonUsr wrote:
>
>> Are there any good SciTE alternatives that are mainly for Ruby editing
>> and compiling? I don't mean FreeRIDE, as I can't stand that program
>> (so many warnings and errors when you run it, it's unbelievable).
>>
>> Can you guys give me any alternatives? (a link to a list or a direct
>> link is fine)
>>

> The free version of Komodo Edit may be of interest:
> http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_edit/
> It's derived from Mozilla code I believe.
>
> I'm not a GUI fan, and I still use my Unix editor (joe), but this is almost
> good enough to make me change. It's fast to load, and easy to navigate.
>
> There is also a version with IDE, which is expensive but has a free trial.
> (But with Ruby, I'm happy using an editor to edit, and a shell to run)
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian.

I have the paid-up version of Komodo and I just love it! If you're doing
multi-language development (Perl, Python, PHP, Tcl, Ruby are the main
ones) it's very well integrated. If you're doing either Perl or Tcl
development on Windows, it's probably the best thing out there. There
are some good alternatives on open source platforms, but on Windows,
Komodo is worth what they charge for it.

BTW, I have the Linux version.

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

Scintilla/SciTE - Python folding Nuff Said Python 1 04-29-2004 11:10 AM
Jython and SciTE rt lange Python 1 01-22-2004 11:15 AM
Jython and SciTE rt lange Python 1 01-21-2004 07:57 PM
Jython and SciTE rt lange Python 0 01-21-2004 07:54 PM
SciTE srijit@yahoo.com Python 3 09-19-2003 10:31 AM

Advertisments